Soooo I bought myself a CoolerMaster 830.. first impressions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Combover

Soooo I bought myself a CoolerMaster 830.. first impressions

Post by Combover » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:43 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and grabbed a CoolerMaster 830 as seen here. I cut up my p-180 pretty good, and since it was my first mod, I kinda didn't like how it turned out.

Here are my thoughts thus far on the case;

Build wise the case is solid. It's a mix of aluminum and steel, so it is pretty heavy (lighter than the 180 though) and feels sturdy. To me, the exterior desigm is appealing, though I understand why some won't like it. I like the fact that you can move the door to swing from either side. I prefer opening from the left due to my desk setup, which is default when you open the box. I like the mesh they used for the front panels, tho I will be pulling most of those for air flow ;)

Packaging is good, comes with the usual stuff. They give you a kit for a btx conversion, though I don't have any use for that at this time. One nice thing, which I may try, is inverting the MB, which it supports as well. Good manual as well, I actually had to use it to figure out how to install my CD drive. It’s not tool less, but it has plastic brackets??

I don't have everything setup yet, but I this case is nice to work in. Roomy inside, I feel totally unencumbered when installing, much like the p-180. I 'think' it's a bit wider than the usual case, but I haven't looked at the measurements. Removable MB drawer for easy mb installation. The risers are tall, which is good since they leave quite a bit of space for cables, which I am taking advantage of where I can. The case also has quite a few nooks in which you can hide cables as they run to their destination.

The PSU install is ok, you slide it into the back once you attach a plate. The PS has its own little duct/intake in the top back of the case where the rear handle is, if you opt to use it. Otherwise, you can install to draw air from above the CPU if you so desire.

The wall o fans on the side is a nice thing (case comes with two 120mm fans total) to have just incase. It is easily removable, and I found that it does have some little notches for fan cable management which is nice. From the looks of the filters, I would bet they restrict quite a bit of air, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. Nice thing, you can remove them and install a fan to the plastic door itself, as I have done (zipties!). The 120mm fans are decent, the front one with a blue glow. Compared to my nexus 120's they are a little loud at 12v, but nothing too drastic. Turn them down to 6v and they are about as quiet as the nexus.

The intake fan attaches to the HDD bay, but they did a poor job of providing good airflow through it. The holes are not large enough and there are too few of them. I will likely use one of the two 5 1/4 adapters to install the HDD up top, and pulll the HDD cage out for better/ quieter airflow.

I will write up some more as I move along. Sorry if this is a bit messy, I am not accustom to writing reviews :)

Comb

shimq1

Post by shimq1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Did you get the black version or the normal version?

Combover

Post by Combover » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:14 am

Normal version.

I put most of my hardware in it last night... will post some more thoughts here in a bit.

Comb

Combover

Post by Combover » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:23 am

Well, I managed to smoke my motherboard and one of my GPU's over the weekend, so I am not gonna have any updates on noise 'til I order some new parts :/ It was a bonehead move on my part that fried things...DOH! :x

I can say this... SLI rigs really need video cards (at least one) that exhausts air out the back to keep things nice and cool. Oblivion pwns my rig with everything on, and an open side panel does not help at all.

Comb

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:38 pm

I've had a 830 for a while now, and I really like it. Just been too busy to post pics and a write up. Maybe soon. By the design if it, it's a difficult case to make quiet.