Antec P180B with high temps - CPU idles at 50c

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryansebiz

Antec P180B with high temps - CPU idles at 50c

Post by ryansebiz » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:26 pm

I bought a P180B, used AS5 on the X2 4600 and spent several hours on cable management, using it in my Main PC in it (see sig). I'm not overclocking anything.

Here's my idle temps:

CPU: 50c
System: 40c
GPU: 45c

I'm using all three stock Antec 120mm TriCool fans, one at the top back, one at the blowhole and one in the bottom HD/PSU chamber. The top two are set to high and the bottom is set to low (connected to the Antec TP 2.0 PSU's "Fan Only" connector). I also installed two 120mm Yate Loons in the removable HD tray in the upper front of the case to help bring cool air in.

FYI I'm in Alabama; the ambient temp is 30c.

I've reseated the heat sink...twice...and the results don't change. I've also touched the CPU heatsink while the computer is on and it doesn't feel hot.

I've heard that it may be my mobo reporting temps that are too high. I doubted this at first but now I'm beginning to agree with it. I've done everything I can, including buying a new, cooler case and spending hours on cable management, and I still have high temps.

FYI I have my PSU's "PSU Fan Monitor" cable connected to my mobo's "CHA1 Fan" connector. Should I try disconnecting it? Also, the mobo's chipset fan and the CPU fan are both connected to their respective mobo fan connections.

Here's a screenshot of SpeedFan (maybe this will help):

What does the "Core" refer to and why is it so hot?

And here's a shot of my "Freezer":

What should I do to get these temps down?

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | AMD 64 X2 4600 Manchester w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro | Dual WD Raptors 74GB Raid 0 | Maxtor 300GB | Corsair XMS 2GB DDR400 | BFG Geforce 7800GT OC | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Hauppauge PVR 250 | Dvico Fusion 5 USB | Antec TruePower 2.0 550W | Dual Dell 2405fpws | Antec P180B

nicov

Post by nicov » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:30 am

Your VCore looks rather high (assuming your pc was idle when you took the screenshot). Is Cool&Quiet enabled?

DanW

Post by DanW » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 am

those temps are only slightly higher than my fanless ninja wit hteh same CPU. Are you using the upper drive cage? If not try removing that. That may increase air flow, but I suspect most of the air flow at the top of the case comes through the front bezels. So it *may* not be an airflow problem.

Taking a quick look at the review your heatsink doesn't look like a bad one either so I'd expect lower temps than 50degrees at idle, my ninja idles about 45degrees (if I remember correctly, as I have it at full load most of the time and that gets to about 58-62degrees)

Have you got an external thermal probe? of any kind to compare it with?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:51 am

Try other temp monitoring apps like PC WIZARD and Everest, see if it agrees with Speedfan.

DanW

Post by DanW » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:53 am

that's agood point ^

what does ASUS probe say?

bsdie

Post by bsdie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 am

They seem high. Im getting 46c with one stock fan at the top at low, an ADDA (slow fan) at the back moving very little air and no fan at the front (turned off at the moment). This is with a 3700+ however, which wont be as hot as your 4600+ and temps here will be around 25 degrees.

I recieved my 4600+ today, and Ill install it this weekend. So if your troubles persist we can compare and hopefully find the problem.

DanW

Post by DanW » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:26 am

bsdie wrote:They seem high. Im getting 46c with one stock fan at the top at low, an ADDA (slow fan) at the back moving very little air and no fan at the front (turned off at the moment). This is with a 3700+ however, which wont be as hot as your 4600+ and temps here will be around 25 degrees.

I recieved my 4600+ today, and Ill install it this weekend. So if your troubles persist we can compare and hopefully find the problem.

what cooler are you using?

ryansebiz

Post by ryansebiz » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:37 am

nicov wrote:Your VCore looks rather high (assuming your pc was idle when you took the screenshot). Is Cool&Quiet enabled?
DanW wrote:that's agood point ^
what does ASUS probe say?
Nvidia Monitor, SpeedFan, Asus Probe and even the BIOS all reveal the same temps.

I just ran a series of tests with:

1. Cool ‘n’ Quiet and Q-Fan enabled
2. Cool ‘n’ Quiet enabled and Q-Fan disabled
3. Cool ‘n’ Quiet disabled and Q-Fan enabled
4. Cool ‘n’ Quiet and Q-Fan disabled

All four tests revealed the same temps of:

CPU: 47-50c
System: 37c
GPU: 47-50c

What can I do to get these temps down?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:51 am

What can I do to get these temps down?
Try undervolting the CPU in BIOS. How hot does the heatsink actually feel?

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:36 am

If you're sure that the heatsink is mounted properly and you're not using too much thermal paste, then the base of the heatsink should give you an indication of the temperature. If it feels cool, then its most likely bad sensors in the system. If you really want to make sure, you could get a temperature probe and touch the side of the heat spreader while the heatsink is attached (kinda tricky to do). I got one of those laser ones from a lab at my univeristy and that was alot easier.

My SFF motherboard reports CPU temperatures around 47-55 depending on outside temperatures, but the temperature on the side of the die was around 30°C. Allowing for an 8-10°C rise in temperature between the edge of the heatspreader and the actual processor, I was confident that I had a faulty temp sensor.

bsdie

Post by bsdie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:40 pm

DanW wrote:
bsdie wrote:They seem high. Im getting 46c with one stock fan at the top at low, an ADDA (slow fan) at the back moving very little air and no fan at the front (turned off at the moment). This is with a 3700+ however, which wont be as hot as your 4600+ and temps here will be around 25 degrees.

what cooler are you using?
Im using a 7000-cu at the moment. With the 4600+ Ill probably go for the stock heatsink + an 80mm nexus.

DanW

Post by DanW » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Ok, I've had the CPU idling for about an hour or so now and it seesm to be stable at 52Degrees.

I have however scratched the surface of the ninja so I guess that could affect the temperature a little, and I didn't put the thermal compound on exactly "scientifically" or carefully at all. Just put what I had left of the small packet of compound when instaling it.

Those temperatures arn't much to worry about, the processor wont throttle back till 80Deg+ IIRC.

HTH Dan

ryansebiz

Post by ryansebiz » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm

jaganath wrote:How hot does the heatsink actually feel?
Not very hot, but not cool either. I'd say an average warm.

Definitely not as hot as my GPU feels after an hour of FEAR.

I used to have an AMD64 3500 venice on this same mobo with these temps:

CPU: 50
System: 50
GPU: 60

I think something's wrong with the mobo. I've tried various BIOS's and nothing works.

Should I RMA it?

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:14 pm

ryansebiz wrote: Should I RMA it?
If your computer is running just fine, even under load, I dont think you should RMA the MB. A faulty motherboard sensor isn't worth it. Just assume that its about 5-10°C high, and leave it at that.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:24 pm

BTW, i noticed the 5k rpm fan in your screenshot. Is that your chipset fan? It must be loud. . . . What are you doing with a P180 and a chipset fan?!?! Replace the fan! :wink:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:31 am

If it will make you feel better....go into the Speedfan advanced settings, and give the CPU temp a -10C off-set.

Both ASROCK boards I use report CPU temps that are 10C too high. So it's not so unusual. Definately not returning the board for.....

ryansebiz

Post by ryansebiz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:30 am

stromgald wrote:BTW, i noticed the 5k rpm fan in your screenshot. Is that your chipset fan? It must be loud. . . . What are you doing with a P180 and a chipset fan?!?! Replace the fan! :wink:
Yeah, it came with the mobo and I never did replace it with a passive solution. What do you recommend?

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:39 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118214

Something like that should work as long as it fits. Make sure there's room around your chipset for a 2" tall heatsink.

Or if you really have room above your chipset, you could always get one of these beasts:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-HR-05-pr-3350.html

ryansebiz

Post by ryansebiz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:23 am

stromgald wrote:Something like that should work as long as it fits. Make sure there's room around your chipset for a 2" tall heatsink.
Do you think either will fit?

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:22 am

Hmm, probably not. But, that's why Thermalright made this one:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-HR ... -3484.html

However, its quite expensive, and your motherboard isn't listed under the compatible motherboards list. :(

bob8701

Re: Antec P180B with high temps - CPU idles at 50c

Post by bob8701 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:45 pm

I use same cpu heatsink on amd 3400+( new castle), I set cpu core 1.35 volt
system 26 c
idles:cpu 38 c
load: cpu 48 c
forget the core temp,(I have same problem use speedfan, by compare the asus probe, I have to remove the core temp), The temp 2 and temp 3 are your cpu true temp since your cpu has two cores.
by the way, if Cool ‘n’ Quiet is enable, asus probe should show lower cpu voltage and speed.
you should worry about load temp more then idle temp, if load temp is not that high (less than 60 or so), the whole high temp may be wrong sensor reading. try upgrade mother board bias.

ryansebiz

Post by ryansebiz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 am

bob8701 wrote:by the way, if Cool ‘n’ Quiet is enable, asus probe should show lower cpu voltage and speed.
Thanks for your reply Bob. Yes, C'n'Q is enabled.
you should worry about load temp more then idle temp, if load temp is not that high (less than 60 or so), the whole high temp may be wrong sensor reading.
Load temps are:

CPU: 59c
System: 50c
GPU: 59c
try upgrade mother board bias.
I was running the latest official BOIS (1016) and have since upgraded to the latest beta BIOS (1017). Neither helped.

Any other ideas?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 am

Hello, your motherboard is clearly reporting temps ~10C higher than they actually are, you can use an infra-red thermometer to confirm this. If it bothers you that much RMA it, but otherwise the issue is basically solved.

len509

Post by len509 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:48 pm

jaganath wrote:Hello, your motherboard is clearly reporting temps ~10C higher than they actually are, you can use an infra-red thermometer to confirm this. If it bothers you that much RMA it, but otherwise the issue is basically solved.
I agree. A 9 degree rise from idle to load (in hot weather) sounds about right to me. I had a motherboard that was incorrectly reporting temps. Luckily, I bought it locally so I exchanged it.

bob8701

Post by bob8701 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:40 am

[
you should worry about load temp more then idle temp, if load temp is not that high (less than 60 or so), the whole high temp may be wrong sensor reading.
Load temps are:

delta temp is cpu - system
it is odd to see the delta temp does not change between the idles and load, they are same as 9 degrees. I think your mother board sensor is not working correct or program use wrong sensor.
For compute to use c'n'q, the computer power option has to set minimal power management( power schemes)
you can download a program call cpuz, when computer is idles, it dispay cpu voltage at 1.05v and speed at 1.0Ghz ( my set up), it will jump to 1.55 volt and 2.2 Ghz when I run some test programs(super pi or occt).
beside this whole high temp problem, one thing you can try is open the side panel and monitor the cpu idles/ load temp, if it is not drop more than 3 degrees, your set up is fine.
I was running the latest official BOIS (1016) and have since upgraded to the latest beta BIOS (1017). Neither helped.

Any other ideas?[/quote]

bob8701

Post by bob8701 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:34 am

[
Load temps are:

delta temp is cpu - system
it is odd to see the delta temp does not change between the idles and load, they are same as 9 degrees. I think your mother board sensor is not working correct or program use wrong sensor.
For compute to use c'n'q, the computer power option has to set minimal power management( power schemes)
you can download a program call cpuz, when computer is idles, it dispay cpu voltage at 1.05v and speed at 1.0Ghz ( my set up), it will jump to 1.55 volt and 2.2 Ghz when I run some test programs(super pi or occt).
beside this whole high temp problem, one thing you can try is open the side panel and monitor the cpu idles/ load temp, if it is not drop more than 3 degrees, your set up is fine.

Any other ideas?[/quote]

ryansebiz

Post by ryansebiz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:52 pm

bob8701 wrote:one thing you can try is open the side panel and monitor the cpu idles/ load temp, if it is not drop more than 3 degrees, your set up is fine.
taking the side off lowered the cpu and gpu temps by two degrees while the system temp increased by one degree.