70mm fan recommendations (for Xbox 360)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rader

70mm fan recommendations (for Xbox 360)

Post by rader » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi all,
I am working on a project to quiet down my Xbox 360. I am looking to replace the stock delta fans with something quieter. With the system at idle it measures around 52dB according to the radioshack spl meter (1" from front of console). The problem I have is the fans are 70mm and run at 5.4v. So far I have only found two options:
Evercool makes cheap fans that are 70x70x25 and 70x70x15mm. These would fit but are they reasonably quiet?
The Nexus CPU heatsinks come with a 70mm version of their fans. Hopefully if I bought one for $25 I hope to be able to sell the heatsink for $10-15 on ebay. I assume two of these would generate enough airflow since they can cool a 3+ ghz prescot. But can they run at 5.4v?
Any other ideas? I could also tap a 12v line to run the fans at 12v or 6v if need be. There is no way to fit a 80mm fan without cutting a whole in the case.

stallport

Post by stallport » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm

apparently, you can't fit 70mm fans inside te case as they won't fit, only 60mm will fit inside. the following link goes to a forum where someone adapted a couple of Papst 80mm outside the case and made it alot quieter cool and quiet but most definitely ugly.

http://www.xboxhacker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1260.0

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:19 pm

That forum is funny. The people can't understand why someone would want a queiter xbox. They want to make it cooler. Why would you want your xbox cooler? You can't overclock the thing so increasing cooling would have no effect on the performance of the xbox. I find it funny that people want to make their computers run cooler. If the damn thing runs fine who cares if it runs at 35C at load. If my overclock was dependant on me keeping the rig to 35C to be stable, I would back it off a few Mhz to keep the thing stable. Idiots. I hope they keep being idiots too becuase without them we wouldn't have any good heatsinks.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:06 pm

autoboy wrote:That forum is funny. The people can't understand why someone would want a queiter xbox. They want to make it cooler. Why would you want your xbox cooler? You can't overclock the thing so increasing cooling would have no effect on the performance of the xbox. I find it funny that people want to make their computers run cooler. If the damn thing runs fine who cares if it runs at 35C at load. If my overclock was dependant on me keeping the rig to 35C to be stable, I would back it off a few Mhz to keep the thing stable. Idiots. I hope they keep being idiots too becuase without them we wouldn't have any good heatsinks.
Amen to that! The "it needs to be as cool as possible" marketers have gotten to them. Probably victims of the "all computers need at least 600 watts" people too.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Heh, I totally agree autoboy. I killed my duron 850 trying to get it to run 29c idle. Now my 1.7 cellie runs 35c idle / 47c load in an evercase 4252 and I'm happy. And it's damn near silent. But so as not to be so totally off topic, evercool's 70x15 is pretty good. Or at least okay. I had to buy one ot replace a friend's dead cooler master 70mm.