Loud Xbox 360

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pulver

Post by Pulver » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:41 am

Lets keep this thread alive with a link to my cheap modification to make Xbox 360 (almost) silent.

I call it Cool, Quiet & Ugly :wink:

edit:

Fixed the non-working link.
Last edited by Pulver on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:05 am

bump

Where's the silentpc article on modding the 360?

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:09 am

bump.

Just got this little wonder into my livingroom and I really like what it can do. I was lucky and got a model that doesn't make so much noise, but that is a relative term. (It sounds like a normal pc, not a jet-engine.)

Maybe I'll build a box for it instead, but I always turn to this forum for smart solutions before doing anything rash.

Check out this by the way.
http://watercooling.50webs.com/1/

A custombuilt waterblock and stuff... Talk about dedication.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 am

Using a waterblock shouldn't be too hard. If someone could manufacture a "standard" waterblock, like a square one with a slightly smaller square riser on top, you could custom make a bracket for it.

Then one could hook it up to something like a Zalman Reserator and have a quiet xbox, though with loud DVD.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:20 pm

The first thing I would tackle would be noise from the DVD drive. It seems to make more noise than anything. Maybe gasket all of the drive's mounting points, and I'd even consider using some sort of constrained layer damping technique for the drive housing itself. I've been eyeing this stuff called Green Glue

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

With the Green Glue, I figure you could fashion a thin-gauge aluminum case-within-a-case for the DVD drive, with the Green Glue acting as the viscoelastic damper between them of course.

There's another product called QuietCar. It's a sprayable or rollable viscoelastic substance that can be used on door panels, and the floor pan to quieten them down.

http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietcar.html

My next step would be to see if I could fit some low-profile heatsink on the CPU and GPU. Then, get better fans, and see if that improves the noise characteristics somewhat.

ekendahl

Post by ekendahl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:13 pm

Ok,

This thread seems a little dead but I'm interested in finding ways of silencing the xbox 360's idle noise. It's not really THAT loud but it's annoying when used as a media extender (playing music).

The fan idea above is not bad, was hoping for something less intrucive

stallport

Post by stallport » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Same as ekendahl, I'd like to find a way of making the idle noise quieter in the dashboard or when it's acting as a media centre or running DVDs without having to cut into the case.

ekendahl

Post by ekendahl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 am

Pulver

How much quiter would you say your xbox is when idling (like being a media extender)? I could see how this would cut down gaming noise a lot but I'm more interested in idle noise. I can live with the noise when gaming...

Is the hack worth it for media extender duty?

Another question (to all]. I'm considering putting the 360 in more of an enclosed space (Something with a glass door). I think this should make it run quiet in Media Extender mode (door closed) and i can open the door when gaming. Anyone had success with this?[/b]

Pulver

Post by Pulver » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:45 am

The Xbox 360 lowers the fan speed when you use it as a media-machine, like playing DVD:s or using Media Center.

Since I have a temp-sensor attched, I can see that the temp rises when you use the media-functions, so I think you should be careful not to put it in a too enclosed space.

It needs som air to "breath"

With my fan-mod, the 360 is really quiet when I am playing DVD:s - but I can still hear it, like a low "background humming"

Since it was some time ago I compared the sound levels, its hard to estimate the difference - but I think I have a third of the sound levels of the original fans.

BTW, the mod is working really good - and I am happy to own one of the more quiet 360:s around :wink:

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:10 am

I stuck mine in a cupboard under the tv.
I covered the insides with accoustic absorbingmats. Even the doors. the cupboard is fairly low and has two doors. I put the 360 on one the left side, and have the right doors slightly ajar. The difference in noise between closed and slightly open is not the big, and the warm air is let out that way.

It certainly helps alot, but is still far from perfect.

I am considering doing the fan-mod PULVER has done as well.

peterson

Post by peterson » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:17 am

Would it be possible to fit the xbox360 HW in a HTPC case?
I.e. the Antec NSK2400? And then put some better heatsinks on?

nici

Post by nici » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:24 am

The DVD drive is the thing making most of the noise, so better heatsinks would not help anything unless you manage to quiet down the the drive. And anything is possible, it's a different matter if it's worth the trouble. In this case i don't think it is.

peterson

Post by peterson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:21 am

Ok, thanks. Any remedies for that noisy drive?

Pulver

Post by Pulver » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:23 am

You can fix the noisy DVD-drive with a "firmware-hack" (at least the samsung)

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:56 am

Wow, I recently picked a 360 up and this thing is ridiculous. The case fans don't bother me so much, but the drive is very annoying while playing games. When I have to turn up to the volume to drown out the noise, something is wrong -- shame on your Microsoft Xbox design team. I'll have to look into the firmware mod, hopefully there is a solution that does not involve opening up the console, as I am not really willing to void my warranty (yet). As a last resort I'd probably try to enclose it some how (have something in front of it to block the noise, but have openings in the bottom and back for airflow maybe??).

sjschwinn

Xbox 360 Nyko Intercooler

Post by sjschwinn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:21 am

Xbox 360 Nyko Intercooler

Although it looks to not work well in it's present form, and might have it's issues, it looks like it might be a good platform to make mods to the cooling system. Disable the internal fans, do a fan mod in this perhaps...???

Just wanted to put the info out there...

rei

Post by rei » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:19 am

this apparently causes them to die faster.

sjschwinn

Re: Nyko Intercooler

Post by sjschwinn » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:15 am

rei wrote:this apparently causes them to die faster.
I've read the same thing, but from what I've read, in most cases it was because the fans were wired wrong (blowing into the case).

In any case, it looks like it might be something you could base a mod on.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:41 pm

StarfishChris wrote:
Gxcad wrote:If the 360 is as loud as you say it is, I'm sure many people would be interested in seeing SPCR take a hack at quieting it down effectively. I'm dissapointed to hear reports that it is loud? The thin PS2 is pretty good in that respect IMHO.

-Ken
Ah, but the thin PS2 is fanless :D but prone to overheating :( The original is fine, but it certainly isn't quiet as say the Gamecube or Dreamcast. I sincerely hope Sony pay attention to acoustics with the PS3, or else silencing a console may be par for course!
I don't know if they changed it since the release of the thin PS2, but my thin PS2 is NOT fanless. :-)

BadMeatPies

Post by BadMeatPies » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:47 am

bump. (sorry!)

a possible solution (thru hack for existing users) or for new users worried about noise of the DVD drive...

360 gets a optical drive upgrade:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5997

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 am

Interesting.

My 360 crapped out on me in december, so maybe i got the upgraded drive on the replacement? Can't really say I noticed any difference tho.

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 am

I think you should change your xbox360 for a ps3.... the ps3 is nearly quiet and instead of dual noisy 4cm fans, its got one low spinning, near silent 13cm fan.

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:25 am

Nah. I've got some games for it now, and I can't really say I play that much anyway. A media-extender however... That would be cool.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:33 am

Obviously the 360 requires a lot of CFM to keep it cool, but has anybody done a fan swap? I've been thinking about changing out the fans since the day I got mine and since my warranty's up... >:D

Anyways, if nobody else tries it, I'll probably pick up some 60mm fans with FDB

fahrenheit

Post by fahrenheit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 pm

Well it has been a long time since I posted back on page 2, but I've had my working solution to a peaceful 360 experience for over 6 months now...

My Winecooler enclosure -

Nothing better than double glazing to muffle that awful DVD-ROM drive. :D

Here's a detailed breakdown of how I built it http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=568044

TomyMMX

Post by TomyMMX » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:49 am

I too am working on some silencing.

Will be posting some pics soon.

TomyMMX

Post by TomyMMX » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:49 am

In the last two days i was working on a mount for my xbox, so i can attach a 120mm fan. It attaches to the hole where the stock fans blow air out and transforms this 65x150mm (or so) to a 120x120 hole. The 120mm fan wil be mounted with a zalman fanmate, so I can adjust the airflow. i hope that ths will enable me to maintain the same (or lower) temps than the stock fans, but at the fraction of the noise.

Waiting for paint.. hopefully the ugly parts will be hidden by the plastic xbox enclosure..

I will test the setup, and compare it to the stock solution, and if the temps ar OK, than some of the plastic grill will have to go, so i can close it up again.

Since I use this box for a media player(streamed video) in most cases I don't mind the dvd noise, that is also very loud.

TomyMMX

Post by TomyMMX » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Mounted and working..

It is much more silent, and now i have some control over the fan speed.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:30 pm

You guys have some good ideas to keep the Xbox quiet and cool. All I did was add cooling to my cabinet and closed the door. I don't hear hardly anything when everything else is silent and it's been staying cooler than it has ever benn.