new drive or enclosure?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andaca

new drive or enclosure?

Post by andaca » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:34 pm

hi guys, i need help.

my new samsung HD160JJ ( nidec FDB ) whines like a pig, ( constant high pitched noise) i cant stand it anymore ( earplugs is the only solution)

I have 2 options (75$ budget)

A) samsung ide SP1604N ( and prey)

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA ... a-fact-_JM

B) Scythe Quiet Drive ( bottom of the case)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=20484

im shure the noise comes from the platters (spinning) so its mechanical noise and not electronic.

what should i do?

:?

andaca

Post by andaca » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:45 pm

wow, u guys take the silent part 2 seriously imo :lol:

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:38 am

I've never used one of those Scythe enclosures, so I can't say how good they are. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think any drive is quiet enough without an enclosure. The advantages of an enclosure are that you're not restricted to any particular HDD manufacturer/model, and you can reuse it when you upgrade.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:53 am

I havent heard your disk, but the Scythe Quiet Drive definately lowered the noise level from my Hitachi 7K250 160 GB, while maintaining the same temperatures as before the SQD.

So I would go with the SQD 8)

But you can read more about it here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32220

justblair

Post by justblair » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:58 pm

I notice Alleycat is being a little modest here and not mentioning the Alleycat homebrew enclosure...

This would be my first port of call.. Its very quiet, cheaper than the comercial offerings and by many accounts more effective at reducing noise.

I was inspired to try it and it changed my life.... Well it made my livingroom pc silent.

If it doesn't work then change the drive. But still put the new one in the enclosure

andaca

Post by andaca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:27 pm

thanks guys. just ordered the q drive. :D

i hope it works :lol:

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:51 pm

justblair wrote:
Its very quiet, cheaper than the comercial offerings and by many accounts more effective at reducing noise.
how much did you spend making yours?? I tried to price the parts, and they ended up being just as expensive as a quiet drive.

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:01 pm

I spent....

£17.80 for the Hammond enclosure, and a couple of pounds for the gel packs. So the whole thing cost me less than £20, a few pence more if you add in the elastic that I used to suspend it. Thats quite a bit cheaper than I see hd enclosures going for in the UK at the moment.

To top that, in a recent user review here on the SPCR forums the homebrew enclosure outperformed the manufacturers offerings in terms of noise. This I can believe, for all practical purposes my homebrew is silent. I use it in an entirely passive system and I have to get within 20cm of the drive before I can discern any noise at all from it. I use it with a cuda V drive (ok a quiet drive to begin with) and the temps are in the higher 30's bearing in mind that I have no forced airflow whatsoever in my system. My case though is mostly alu mesh.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 pm

justblair wrote:I spent....

£17.80 for the Hammond enclosure, and a couple of pounds for the gel packs. So the whole thing cost me less than £20, a few pence more if you add in the elastic that I used to suspend it. Thats quite a bit cheaper than I see hd enclosures going for in the UK at the moment.
here in the states, the difference isn't so profound. Shipped, I can get the parts for a DIY enclosure for $40. I can, and just bought a Quiet Drive for $42. Depending on how it performs, I might buy another, or, build my own for my second drive.

andaca

Post by andaca » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:20 pm

i bougth if 4 70$... :|

( $160 including the stupid samsung HDD)

and i didnt even needed the fking hdd in the first place, ( my wd was 3 years old so i was kinda worried)

solid state disk... what the hell are they waiting for ?! :evil: