I need a silent desk!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ropes4u

I need a silent desk!

Post by Ropes4u » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:00 am

I am currently using an antique desk and though it is my grandfathers I have decided to retire it.

The less than ideal ergonomics and squeaky noises it sent out last night while working on a sixsigma project about drive me crazy :shock:

So if you will... point me to a decent, well made modern desk.

Thanks, John

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:00 pm

I think I'd do a bit of research- find out what sqeaks and why. I assume it was a well made old style hardwood-perhaps Oak...My grandfather's desk was-and it's promised to me. I however built a desk specifically as an Audio workstation-so it houses the computer,printer,scanner and a stereo system including attached monitor speakers-all done with scrap oak I scavanged from jobsites i'd worked over a couple years-no squeaks.

Yours can be tightened up-some construction adhesive or fastap screws can rid you of squeaks. With some skill-the fixes won't show. Yopu also can modify the basic unit-construct an add on-like adding a keyboard tray. you can change the height-add casters or get a taller chair. While your at it...some sandpaper and a coat of Man-O-War glss varnish can beautify it-and toughen too,all not much$.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:11 pm

Most older wood desks are worth trying to retain. That said if you want nice modern ergonomics check out the Anthro cart folks.

Ropes4u

Post by Ropes4u » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:09 am

Thanks for the help. I would never get rid of the desk I just want something more comfortable, it is a little small size wise..

thanks, John

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:06 pm

The perfect desk can be almost anything to the person who uses it.
I have been very happy with my Ikea, GALANT desk. They are not cheap, but you can get a wide range of styles and colors. Also it is very easy to adjust taller. I have mine 76 cm, but it could easily be more. Also modular, so if you want a different configuration or color you can just get the parts you need.
No noise from pushing, setting stuff on.