Dead silent PC (and I mean DEAD = 0 dB)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dperrella

Oil Immersion

Post by dperrella » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 am

No, it's not terribly practical, but it could be fun and might be (almost) totally silent. I'd seen the Tom's hardware project, but it was done with vegetable oil and an acrylic or Plexiglas tank. Making the tank out of a thermal insulator that can be damaged by oil and using an oil that will go bad are not the signs of a serious effort. I wasn't aware of Rusty's effort, which is closer to what I have in mind. I wouldn't try to put the hard drive in the oil though. Too hard to keep the oil out of the drive without keeping the heat in, as Rusty proved. Rusty also used an acrylic tank. Again, this has issues of insulation and possible damage by the oil. Looks cool though. :D

I'd be interested to see if you could get better temperatures than Rusty got with a copper tank, even with more modern (mostly higher power) components. Maybe not. I'm surprised what high temperatures Rusty got, so maybe the really big passive heat sink doesn't disperse as much heat as I thought.

student

Post by student » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Erm, ever heard of the Zalman TNN500AF case?

Try this system based around this case:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... -jaguar-af

The only thing that is audible is the HDD... If you spec it with a Samsung Spinpoint or similar then that will be as good as silent in such a heavy case.

Of course if you could spec a solid state HDD if even this is too much noise. You will need deep pockets though.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:18 pm

Too bad that computer uses a 3.5" desktop drive. It's relatively easy to go below the noise floor of a single 3.5", and it won't cost you four grand either.

paulesko

Post by paulesko » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:00 am

And anyway you´ll have the electricity noise going trough the chips, it sounds axtrange but I can hear it over nexus @ 5v so....

Eddie Spaghetti

Re: Dead silent PC (and I mean DEAD = 0 dB)

Post by Eddie Spaghetti » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:53 am

QuietOC wrote:...
First dual-core isn't very power efficient for anything not optimized for SMP. For example: contrary to current marketing, gaming is best on a faster, lower-heat single core processor. The few SMP aware titles aren't really all that SMP optimized. However, if most of what you do is encoding/decoding then dual-core is very useful.
Word is, we can expect multi-core optimized games in 2007.

Erssa

Re: Dead silent PC (and I mean DEAD = 0 dB)

Post by Erssa » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:36 am

Eddie Spaghetti wrote:
QuietOC wrote:...
First dual-core isn't very power efficient for anything not optimized for SMP. For example: contrary to current marketing, gaming is best on a faster, lower-heat single core processor. The few SMP aware titles aren't really all that SMP optimized. However, if most of what you do is encoding/decoding then dual-core is very useful.
Word is, we can expect multi-core optimized games in 2007.
Even, if we ignore this fact, dual cores are great, because you can run other programs like virus scan and play at the same time without having it effect your gaming.