sunon heatsink with mini pump

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

unibomber51

sunon heatsink with mini pump

Post by unibomber51 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:39 pm

http://www.sunon.com.tw/waturbo/en_tc01406001.htm

i saw this on madshrimps before but no one on this forum seems to have said anything on this thing

interesting concept if you ask me but will it work

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:38 pm

If this is not just a gimmick thought up by the marketing department (which it may well be) all it does is get heat to the fins quicker, so the bottleneck is now how quickly you can remove heat from the fins; it doesn't look to have anywhere near the surface area of a Ninja, for example. Also, the fan is quite high speed (2000rpm) so likely not quiet. I would probably get one if it was really cheap, just to play around with.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:52 pm

I admit my knowledge of heat exchange is far from what anybody would call adequate, but there's a couple things I noted immediately:

First, I'm pretty sure the diagram was drawn wrong. It shows the heated liquid flowing in the same direction as the cool air. That's the opposite of what you'd want in a design that uses currents in a heat exchange system. I would hope that any company spending the time to develop a novel CPU cooling system would be aware of coutner-current heat exchange systems. If the diagram is a mistake, great! If it isn't, they better have a damn good reason ;-)

I miss the point of having a pump. One side of the liquid chamber is heated by the CPU and the other side is cooled by a radiator and fan - the temperture difference alone will start convection currents.

Liquids generally have lousy thermal conductivity compared to metals (we're talking up to hundreds of times less efficient). That means the liquid is more likely to hold in the heat and a equal volume of solid metal.

Still, the concept is interesting, but I'm not sold on the technology they are using..

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Pump isn't really correct word unless I'm mistaken. Mixer would be more proper.

The watertank might work as a massive heatpipe. With the pump it should boost the performance a bit.

Not sure how good it is but it's definatly inovative and might be a good concept.
Me like :-)

To bad it's so tiny. More aluminium and slower fan would be bether

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:22 pm

Found some other info:
http://www.sunonamerica.com/index2.asp? ... pr_waturbo

It seems that Intel might use it as stock cooler
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/coolers/di ... 23542.html

nici

Post by nici » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Err, the point of that "chamber" is to transfer the heat equally to the whole base of the fins, right? Doesnt a normal heatsink without heatpipes do just the same thing? Or is the heatspreader on the CPU significantly hotter on top of the die than on the edges? If it is significantly hotter in the center, then it should not be called a heatspreader but a die protector or something.

Im also wondering how well the electro-magnetic pump works when the fan is rotating slow.. Thats assuming the magnets in the fan induce a current in some coils in the chamber wich then rotates the pump? Maybe im stupid, but i cant think of any other way than induction. Well maybe there could be magnets inside the chamber too, with the magnets in the fan pushing or pulling the magnets in the chamber.

The features say "Low risk of liquid leakage(No use of tube)"The "Low" part isnt too confidence inspiring, to be honest. If you do a WC setup properly, there is also a very "low" risk of liquid leakage. And comparing it to watercooling is silly in the first place, no matter how superb the cahmber is, it cant compete with a radiator several times the size fo the heatsink on that. And if they mean heatpipes, who has ever heard of a heatpipe leaking?

All things considered, im interested in a review :) Maybe i have become too critical of anything new because of SPCR :wink:
Last edited by nici on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:48 pm

The watertank might work as a massive heatpipe
There's no phase change (evaporation) AFAICT, so strictly not like a heatpipe.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:10 am

funny concept. water is such a poor thermal conductor. with all the heated warm water trapped inside the hsf, the CPU will be warmed up minutes after you shut down.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:10 am

well, on the flip side, water has a much higher specific heat capacity (can hold more energy without raising temperture as much) than metal. Who knows, perhaps this is the real secret behind this cooling device.

Jubei

Post by Jubei » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:43 am

Actually I posted about this awhile back, but I'm really bad at starting new posts - they normal "die" pretty quick.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... on+waturbo

Anyway, last week, I read a review of the cooler in a Hong Kong PC magazine. According to their tests, the Sunon Waturbo is very effective in cooling the CPU - obviously better than stock HSF, but also more effective than a Zalman (I forgot the model) and an Asus cooler. If I remember correctly tests were done on an Intel platform. Personally, I don't think they do very scientific or rigorous tests, well at least not up to the standards of these forums. No mention of noise levels in the review, which I found strange because it seems to be one of the selling points of the unit (boasts of 23db).

Unfortunately I threw out the magazine yesterday, otherwise I would have included an image of it here for all to see :cry:

avithomas

Post by avithomas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:34 pm

About water for cooling...

I spent my internship working at the General Atomics DIII-D national fusion facility engineering water cooling systems to taim the heat of an experimental fusion reactor. What I have to say is this.

Water is great for cooling. There might be better more exotic stuff but water is great.

-It has a high thermal capacity. This allows it to maintain a high temperature differential while absorbing alot of energy.
-It is fluid so it is easy to move. This allows it to be continuosly moved through the system such that heat can be taken from a small hot area and transported quickly to a heatsink surface. (In solids you just have to wait for the heat to progate to the heat sink surface on its own.)

So by agitating the water despite the thermal conductivity being lower you can maintain a higher thermal gradient at the surface where the heat is coming from. The heat is then spread out and then distributed to the relativley distant heat sink fins much faster.

I bet it will work about as good as a standard seperate radiator and cpu water block where the radiator surface area is similar to the surface area of the waturbo heatsink.

At any rate I am sure someone will correct me about something but that is fine sence I just only took 15 minutes to write this.

Really I just want to see SPCR review the thing. No matter how good the theory is it all comes down to implementation.

BTW I sent Sunon an email and they called me back. They have real nice reps. She told me Allied electronics carries them. They are a little over $100. I suspect thier other distributors also carry them. In the past I have ordered stuff from all these distributors and they were all very good so just pick the cheapest. Digikey is probably the fastest.

Distributors will want a part number... Tell them TC014-06001

Allied Electronics, Inc.
7410 Pebble Drive Fort Worth, TX 76118-6997
PH: 800-433-5700 or 817-595-6455Fax: 817-595-6459URL: www.alliedelec.com

PSC Electronics
Marin Silvers
1500 Rosecrans Ave Suite 500, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
PH: (949) 598-7380 Fax: (949) 770-9432

Digi-Key
701 Brooks Avenue South, P.O. Box 677, Thief River Falls, MN 56701-0677
PH: 800-DIGI-KEYURL: www.digikey.com

avithomas

Post by avithomas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:04 pm

I wouldnt call this a review but the claims sound reasonable...
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=3544

they claim 25dB, 8dB quiter then stock intel HS, and 6 degrees cooler running at 54c w/ an intel P4 660. I am interested to know how far away they were when measure the noise level.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:26 am

I spent my internship working at the General Atomics DIII-D national fusion facility engineering water cooling systems to tame the heat of an experimental fusion reactor.
Goddamn that is so ****ing cool! I would have loved to do something like that, if only I wasn't so cr@p at maths (and therefore physics).

avithomas

Post by avithomas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm

The reason I got the job had more to do with knowing the guy that had it before me then anything else. It was alot of fun and got to play with some cool stuff. I think you could probably do it without knowing that much math; The guy before me was a great guy but not very strong intellectually.

I now know more then I ever wanted to know about water cooling.