idle power consumption C2D versus Athlon

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ivan2006

idle power consumption C2D versus Athlon

Post by ivan2006 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Hi all

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/25/ ... page4.html

Came across an article on toms hardware wich covers the idle power consumption of athlon and C2D systems.

To sum it up briefly...The difference is 27 watts between the athlon (55 watts) and the C2D (82) in favour of the athlon.

Is there anybody who has measured the idle power comsumption? I am interested in the C2D but I find the idle power consumption also important because my pc is on all day. I also care about the planet :)

My hope is that a micro/atx Mobo with C2D uses less watts than the atx/mobo tested at Tomshardware.

If the difference is really that ´big´ I prefer the athlon.

cheers,
ivan

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:06 pm

Is there anybody who has measured the idle power comsumption?
Xbitlabs compares power consumption of C2D and A64 X2

The Athlon uses less power at idle (CnQ enabled). However you could make up for the difference by turning off your PC when you are not using it; this way you can justify getting a C2D. :wink:

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:58 pm

jaganath wrote:
Is there anybody who has measured the idle power comsumption?
Xbitlabs compares power consumption of C2D and A64 X2

The Athlon uses less power at idle (CnQ enabled). However you could make up for the difference by turning off your PC when you are not using it; this way you can justify getting a C2D. :wink:
I'm not sure if I agree with your assumption that when someone is using a PC it needs to go above CnQ idle. For web, office, etc the A64 shouldnt get above the 1ghz mark.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:50 pm

I'm not sure if I agree with your assumption that when someone is using a PC it needs to go above CnQ idle
I never said that. where did you get that from. :roll:

ivan2006

Post by ivan2006 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanx jaganath,

These numbers confirm what TomsH also measured. Still I´m interested in the Power consumption of micro/atx boards with c2d which I think, hope they will use less watts in idle mode.

My girlfriend and I have a company at home. My pc acts as a server so it has to be on all day.

cheers,
ivan