P180 + Core2Duo + Gigabyte Graphics

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

P180 + Core2Duo + Gigabyte Graphics

Post by johnc » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:18 pm

There's nothing radical or particularly innovative in this build, but I thought that it might be useful to increase the data base a bit with another example of a system type that is gaining in popularity.

The Gear:

Antec P180 Case (2 Antec 120 fans on Low)
Gigabyte D965P-DS3 motherboard
Intel Core2Duo E6600 CPU
Scythe Ninja Heatsink/Arctic Silver
Seasonic S12 430 PSU
Crucial RAM - 2 GB
Gibabyte Silent Graphics Card GV-NX76G512D
Plextor Black 16X SATA DVD player/recorder
Western Digital WD5000KS 500 GB SATA hard drive
DataPort IV Removable Hard Drive and Frame
Floppy drive with memory card reader

The Pics:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... e_view.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... hamber.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... _drive.jpg

The Incredible Journey, SPCR edition: What the hard drive saw.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... e_sees.jpg

At the top of the case is the removable hard drive caddy. It is kept disengaged from the system except during the brief periods that a drive image is being made. The drive image drive is physically removed from the system. (I am using a white drive caddy for visibility here - the actual drive caddy is black.)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/ ... _Front.jpg

The floppy drive in the middle of the case also is a multi-type card reader.

The Numbers

Cooling: 120 mm Antec fan on Low, top position, back of case; 120 mm Antec fan on Low, middle hard drive cage position; Seasonic 430 PSU fan, lower chamber.

Room Air Temp: 20.4°C
CPU Temp with Prime95 load: 45°C (Gigabyte) or 53°C (Core Temp)
Graphics Card Temp: 48-49°C
System Temp: 34-35°C
Hard Drive Temp, Bart's Stuff test: 43-45°C

System power consumption: 85 watts idle, 140 watts Prime95 Load.

Most of the systems I have built up until now idle at ~35 watts, so this machine is a bit different but still not very power-hungry.

The performance is remarkable, and the system is very, very quiet.

MrSpok

Post by MrSpok » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Very nice rig :wink:

I have a similar system to bulid in, however I went for an Asus P5WDH DLX and Xfx 7950 GT for graphics.
But..i have two questions:
*Scythe Ninja without fun :?: any problem overheating with funless VGA?
*Are happy with your Seasonic PSU? I'm thinkng for me the Antec Phantom but i'm not sure. Big trouble with cable handling :?

Regards,
Mr Spok :D

ivan2006

Post by ivan2006 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:33 pm

You almost choose the same components as I will for my next rig.

1 question
What system (components) did you build that idles at 35 watts ?
Just started a thread about this in system advice...

Greetz,
ivan

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

P180+Core2Duo+Gigabyte Graphics

Post by johnc » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:55 am

<<*Scythe Ninja without fun any problem overheating with funless VGA?
*Are happy with your Seasonic PSU? I'm thinkng for me the Antec Phantom but i'm not sure. Big trouble with cable handling>>

Thanks for your reply.

I was worried that the VGA card would overheat, which is why I put the Antec fan in the hard drive bay in the upper chamber. This seems to work just fine.

The Seasonic PSU has also worked well. It is very quiet. I did use an extension cable to reach the 4-pronged CPU power connection which on this motherboard sits as far from the PSU as possible. This adjustment made the cable management easy.

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by johnc » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:10 am

<<What system (components) did you build that idles at 35 watts ?
Just started a thread about this in system advice... >>

Thanks for your reply.

I built several systems using the PIII Tualatin chip, a low-power graphics card (fanless) and fairly limited RAM. These systems had very little power draw and needed little cooling. They were great for everyday computing, but a bit slow for intensive tasks such as audio editing.

My latest build is very nearly as quiet at the earlier ones, and much more powerful.

In the last 5 years the options for quiet computing have increased remarkably. A variety of factors have led to this development, but Mike Chin and the SPCR Community have played a major role.

carthage01

Post by carthage01 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 pm

Nice setup!

My next build will also include the Gigabyte DS3 paired with the Scythe Ninja Cooler. One question, did you have to make any modifications to the bracket to make it fit? From Gigabyte's photo of the DS3, there seem to be capacitors that may impede the installation of one of the brackets. Does the bar on the bracket clear the capacitors?

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by johnc » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:18 pm

There were no mounting problems at all. The folks at Scythe have created a very effective mounting mechanism that works fine without modification with this motherboard.

Since part of the Ninja mounting scheme requires placement of pieces on the underside of the motherboard, the Ninja absolutely must be mounted before the motherboard is attached to the case. The instructions that accompany the Ninja are fairly clear and easy to follow.