Noctua
5%
Other
8%

Total votes: 40

GHz

Vote For Your Favorite 120x25mm Fan!

Post by GHz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:51 am

I'm curious as to everyone's favorite 120mm fans. I don't remember seeing a similar poll, so I thought I'd start one up.

Please vote for your favorite fan. It doesn't have to be the quietest; just whatever model you prefer overall. After voting, take a minute to post why you chose that particular brand, including the specific model(s).

As a side note, I have a feeling people's opinions will change once SPCR completes their 120mm fan review ;)

Thanks for your input!
Last edited by GHz on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GHz

Post by GHz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:55 am

Here's my own input. I chose Nexus/Yate-Loon for their low-speed sleeve-bearing models (e.g. D12SL-12). My other top contenders are the Scythe S-FLEX series and GlobalWin's NCB fans.

sjschwinn

Ditto

Post by sjschwinn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:21 am

GHz wrote:Here's my own input. I chose Nexus/Yate-Loon for their low-speed sleeve-bearing models (e.g. D12SL-12). My other top contenders are the Scythe S-FLEX series and GlobalWin's NCB fans.
The D12SL-12 from Nexus and Yate Loon are the best sounding fans I've tried - bar none. In many ways I prefer the YL: 1) cost - I can get 3-4 YL for the price if a single Nexus, and 2) wider operating range - the YL has a higher top-end flow which makes it more flexible - assuming you're using some type of fan control.

If you need a more durable bearing, the Sythe S-Flex fans are my current choice - especially if you are going to mount the fan blowing up or down. The GlobalWins are another nice choice in place of the Scythes, though I have a preference for the Scythe - price notwithstanding (the Scythes were almost 3x the cost). I haven't had a chance to try the ADDA AD1212 ball-bearing fans, but if my experience with my Seasonic M12 is any indication, it would rank up there with the Scythe and the GlobalWin.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:52 am

I have GW NCBs in all of my modded PSUs, so at least one in all of my computers (2.75 at the moment).

I could live with any of these, in order of cost: YL, NCB, Enermax Enlobal, Nexus, SilenX. I own, and have tried as exhaust fans, all except the Nexus, which is by all accounts an RPM-restricted YL. All of these have very low motor noise.

The GW NCB, with its ceramic bearings, should outlast the rest. I interpret this as meaning that it will stay quieter longer. Time will tell, I guess! :)

GHz

Post by GHz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:33 am

sjschwinn: I wouldn't mind sampling the ADDA fans, but unfortunately you can't buy them anywhere (aside from wholesalers at very high cost).

FC: The GlobalWin fans are really nice. As far as I can tell, they are quieter than the Nexus/YL fans (my GW samples had less motor noise) but push slightly less air. I'll leave it up to SPCR to give the final verdict.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:23 pm

Nexus, "of course" :wink:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:33 am

rpsgc wrote:Nexus, "of course" :wink:
What he said. ^^^^