Cool n Quiet on Vista?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ciz28

Cool n Quiet on Vista?

Post by ciz28 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:56 pm

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding many resources on this topic. The few that are around all seem to indicate that Cool n Quiet should 'just work' on Vista if you set the power settings correctly. For some reason I can't find it referenced directly, but this would mean 'Power saver', right? And I would assume that the clock speed reported to System properties would reflect if Cool n Quiet was actually working?

And another question related to Vista, what software are people using to control fanspeed, monitor temps, enable CnQ, etc that is compatible with Vista?

tempoct

Re: Cool n Quiet on Vista?

Post by tempoct » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:22 pm

I'd like to confirm this.
Last night, I was on Vista (release 32-bit version) and CnQ "just works".
The default scheme for power management of Vista is "balanced" or probably equal to "Performance on Demand" of RightMark CPU Clock utility.
I tested this to confirm by opening the CPU-z. It show on idle, my A64 3200+ running at x5 (1GHz) and when I start CPU intensive task (says Super PI) it bump up CPU to x10 (2GHz).

Speed Fan 4.31 works with Vista on monitoring core temp and stuff (except for some reason HDD temp doesn't work and all SMART functions don't show up) but I can't control the fan. Maybe it is also mobo compatibility related.
ciz28 wrote:I'm having a bit of a hard time finding many resources on this topic. The few that are around all seem to indicate that Cool n Quiet should 'just work' on Vista if you set the power settings correctly. For some reason I can't find it referenced directly, but this would mean 'Power saver', right? And I would assume that the clock speed reported to System properties would reflect if Cool n Quiet was actually working?

And another question related to Vista, what software are people using to control fanspeed, monitor temps, enable CnQ, etc that is compatible with Vista?

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:07 pm

tempoct wrote:I'd like to confirm this.
The default scheme for power management of Vista is "balanced" or probably equal to "Performance on Demand" of RightMark CPU Clock utility.
I tested this to confirm by opening the CPU-z. It show on idle, my A64 3200+ running at x5 (1GHz) and when I start CPU intensive task (says Super PI) it bump up CPU to x10 (2GHz).

Speed Fan 4.31 works with Vista on monitoring core temp and stuff (except for some reason HDD temp doesn't work and all SMART functions don't show up) but I can't control the fan. Maybe it is also mobo compatibility related.
When the CPU throttles down, is it reflected in the System properties? ie. right click Computer > Properties, then look at the speed next to Processor. Also, does this happen in 'Balanced' and 'Power saver'? I would have to assume it doesn't also work in 'High performance', but maybe it does?

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm

tempoct wrote:I'd like to confirm this.

ciz28 wrote:I'm having a bit of a hard time finding many resources on this topic. The few that are around all seem to indicate that Cool n Quiet should 'just work' on Vista if you set the power settings correctly. For some reason I can't find it referenced directly, but this would mean 'Power saver', right? And I would assume that the clock speed reported to System properties would reflect if Cool n Quiet was actually working?

Which build of Vista are you using?

I am running 5600 and CnQ does not work for me. My AM2 3200+ is in perpetual 5x state even when I load the machine with WoW and Civ4 at the same time. You are saying "balanced" will work with Vista?

SpeedFan works for me and I can controll the fan speed without any problems. Build in sig.

tempoct

Post by tempoct » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:49 pm

My build is 6000 (RTM version). I guess you need to install the right driver for your chipset.
My office rig is Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe with 4800+ X2 Toledo and CnQ does NOT automatically kicks in when power management set to "balanced". I have not tried to upgrade the nForce driver yet.
My light work rig is Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 with A64 3200+ Venice and CnQ works with latest nForce driver for Vista.

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 pm

I am also running build 6000 of Vista without CnQ working. However, I haven't tried updating the chipset drivers. I'll try that and see if I can get any progress.