My new NSK2400 parts are on the way!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:56 pm

It's up to you on the degree! I couldn't feel safe that high.

Maybe it's because you dont have a fan on the mobo pin? Try it like that.

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:19 pm

I just installed RM Clock and have some thoughts about it...

- At least this program finally got Cool n Quiet working! However, it is pretty lame that I can't get it working natively through Vista.

- I don't know if this program is reading a different sensor than PC Wizard, but it reads 34c instead of 46c at full speed idle. Now that I have CnQ working for 1GHz at 1.1V, the CPU is sitting at 22c at idle :shock:

- Although Vista's UAC has its limitations, I find it good enough that I keep it enabled. However, since RM Clock requires permission through UAC, it doesn't correctly run at startup. A message appears saying that UAC has blocked RM Clock from automatically starting, giving me the option to allow it to start anyways. I guess this isn't that big of a deal, but it would be nice if I could manually override it somehow.

Now that I have gotten the CPU temps under control, I'd say I'm pretty pleased with how everything went for this build. I hope this information might prove useful to someone!

edit: update with CnQ settings...

1000MHz 1.05V
1200MHz 1.10V
1400MHz 1.15V
1600MHz 1.20V
1800MHz 1.25V
2000MHz 1.30V
2200MHz 1.35V
2400MHz 1.40V

After running Prime95 for 45 minutes or so the temps maxed out at 62c.

sanse

Post by sanse » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 am

cool&quiet is possible under vista. i have a partition with vista 64-bit rc1 on my rig with an amd x2 4400 and it does work. if i'm not wrong the help of vista says something about it.

nice setup btw with that 'flattened' zalman heatsink. i would not have removed the fan from the heatsink. such a fan controlled by the mobo or 'silenced' with a fanmate could be in-audible and still give enough air-flow. the original zalman-fan is in the most optimized position for that.

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:10 am

sanse wrote:cool&quiet is possible under vista. i have a partition with vista 64-bit rc1 on my rig with an amd x2 4400 and it does work. if i'm not wrong the help of vista says something about it.

nice setup btw with that 'flattened' zalman heatsink. i would not have removed the fan from the heatsink. such a fan controlled by the mobo or 'silenced' with a fanmate could be in-audible and still give enough air-flow. the original zalman-fan is in the most optimized position for that.
Did you have to do anything an particular to get CnQ to work under Vista? If not, any ideas why it doesn't seem to work natively for me?

Regarding the CNPS 9500, I think in hindsight, I'd agree that removing the fan might not have been the best idea. However, I ended up breaking the mounting hardware for the fan during the removal process, so putting it back isn't exactly an option now. But considering the placement of the system within a TV stand, the system is inaudible even with two 120mm fans at 5v. Since the system stays cool enough at full load, I think it'll suit my purposes as it is for now.

sanse

Post by sanse » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:45 am

if the fan-mount is broken you can't mount the fan. :)

just started vista rc1 and had a look at what i did. you have to go to power options. i use the balanced power plan. from there choose change settings and then change advanced power settings.

there you will find a dialog with an option called processor power management. i configured there a minimum processor state of 5% and a maximum processor state of 100%.

that did it on my rig. no additional drivers needed. it just works.

[this was actually posted from ie7 64bit in windows vista 64bit rc1.]

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:11 am

i would not have removed the fan from the heatsink. such a fan controlled by the mobo or 'silenced' with a fanmate could be in-audible
The stock Zalman fan is poor, as mentioned in the SPCR review; I have removed mine and don't regret it at all.

sanse

Post by sanse » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:19 am

don't think the zalman fan will be obtrusive if you run it at 800 rpm.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:33 am

Personally from most Zalman heatsink I have used I don't qualify them as silent. :lol:

Even at low they have sort of a hum or something like that. I loved the loon replacement on the 7700. Loved it!

Thanks sanse

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:40 pm

sanse wrote:just started vista rc1 and had a look at what i did. you have to go to power options. i use the balanced power plan. from there choose change settings and then change advanced power settings.

there you will find a dialog with an option called processor power management. i configured there a minimum processor state of 5% and a maximum processor state of 100%.

that did it on my rig. no additional drivers needed. it just works.
I ended up finding what you mentioned on my Core Duo laptop running Vista RTM, which makes sense since CPU throttling works correctly for it. However, I couldn't find the option on my A64 system. Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Also, I finally got my optical drives hooked up. I had to go buy a 36" IDE cable to make the run all the way to the drives, and it was just long enough.