Asus BIOS Temperature Bug

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OmegaZero

Asus BIOS Temperature Bug

Post by OmegaZero » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:53 pm

There is a bug in the latest BIOS (version 0304) for the P5W64 WS Professional motherboard; two reported side effects of which are a 15C increase in CPU temperature readings and a 3-5 second pause in the POST cycle following memory testing. Though this issue has been reported by several users in the Asus forums, there has been no official acknowledgment from Asus themselves.

Prior to installing the new BIOS version, my CPU temp was reporting from the motherboard as ~32C in Asus AIBooster, SpeedFan, and within BIOS (Note: these temperatures are from the sensor on the motherboard, not from the CoreTemp sensors within the processor). Once the new flash revision was installed the temperature readings increased by almost exactly 15C within each of the reporting utilities mentioned. I can confidently say that the CPU temperature has not actually increased, as readings from CoreTemp have remained constant at ~31C though the upgrade. Also, a "finger test" reveals no significant increase in the temperature of the heat sink.

As far as I know (i.e. from that I've read) this issue is limited to only the P5W64 WS Pro motherboard and BIOS revision 0304. The previous flash versions, 0116 and 0215 did not exhibit this behavior.

I submitted this issue to the Asus BIOS engineering team on Wednesday before the holiday, so it is not surprising that I have not heard back yet. I will follow up when I receive a response.

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:09 pm

BIOS version 0402 resolves both of the above reported issues. Though not officially released yet, one of the Asus developers has posted the release candidate here: Asus P5W64 WS Pro Forum

Merry Christmas Iceman!

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:30 am

I have an Asus P5B-E mobo and seem to have very high reported CPU temps with an E6600 with stock cooler . I wonder if my mobo has the same bug - how do you check what BIOS version you are running?

My temps are about 52 under no load and peak out at about 68C. This is even with the cover off of my case - but the CPU HS doesn't seem overly hot to the touch.