Large container of water for heatsink

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dukeofthomas

Large container of water for heatsink

Post by dukeofthomas » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi all, I've been reading about water cooling and looked at some of you guys' setups here, and I particularly like the one that was using a household radiator for passive water cooling.
Would it be possible to put two water pipes through a hole in the wall to the outside, then have a large container of water (say 100 litres, a water butt or something similar, sealed presumably to keep the water relatively clean), with the water pump also outside (it could be mounted inside the water butt, presumably). Then all you would have inside the PC would be the water pipes and no pump, no need for any fans, no need for a radiator, because the huge quantity of water would simply never heat up to any degree.
Or could the same be done inside, just use a biggish container of water (I was thinking of something like a long thin container that's six feet high and attached to the wall to prevent tipping over, but all its weight is resting on the floor), that holds fifty odd litres? No special vents would be needed presumably, because the sheer volume of water would never heat up more than a few degrees as the PC components would never give out more than 100w.
I did a search and didn't find anybody trying this method, but apologies if I missed it.

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Yeah this kind of DIY job is temptive sometimes but I don't like the idea of watercooling because of the lack of mobility. What to do if you need to take your computer somewhere else for a day? Take your 500 litre watertank too? :P or the radiator bolted to the wall? :lol:

dukeofthomas

Post by dukeofthomas » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:36 am

I'd never want to move my PC, I expect most people are the same.
If anybody here currently has a watercooled system, could you try to experiment with something like this? Just a big container of water would do fine, say 25 litres or so, which could be next to your PC if you want. I'd be very interested to see the results.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:14 am

Apparently it's very possible to run with only a large reservoir. http://www.overclockers.com/tips1218/

Though, you'd probably need one that's bigger than that for overclocking or hotter cpus. But I find it pretty cool that it's possible. Maybe I'd try that some day since I'm getting a watercooling kit for christmas and if I can bother to go shopping for a huge container...

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:38 am

It will work just fine, but then again so will a Ninja.. So why bother?