Heatsinks - how many are really needed?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alancfa2001

Heatsinks - how many are really needed?

Post by alancfa2001 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:14 pm

I realize this question is too open-ended without some additional info, so here goes. I am going to build a new system with a Core 2 Duo chip (probably E6700) and a good video card (probably GeForce 7950GT). Also, I will be using an Antec Solo case and using the Asus 5B Deluxe motherboard and I am not averse to installing additional fans like the Nexus Real Silent types.

I have read reviews on coolers for the CPU and the GPU, but every now and then, I see heatsinks for the northbridge, southbridge, RAM chips, memory chips on the video cards, and I would bet there are heatsinks available for parts that never get hot but are simply there for the looks.

I will not be overclocking. In that case, are RAM chip heatsinks necessary or even worthwhile in a small way or are they a waste of time. What about separate coolers for the northbridge or southbridge or video memory or anything else? Would that be a sensible investment or a waste of money.

p.s. I will probably get a Scythe Ninja with 120mm fan for the CPU and the GPU will have a heat sink of some sort, but I am not sure which one at the moment. My main interest is in ancillary heatsinks. Thanks.

Stereodude

Post by Stereodude » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:17 pm

In my experience they're not putting heatsinks on things that don't need it. Run your system and touch the heatsinks. You'll find they're hot.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:33 pm

I will not be overclocking. In that case, are RAM heatsinks necessary?
No.
What about separate coolers for the northbridge or southbridge or video memory or anything else?
If they get too hot then you can consider aftermarket heatsinks (or more airflow). However you'd be surprised at the temperatures such components can tolerate; up to 100C is not unusual.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:54 pm

Those little heatsinks you see various places on the board, on the ram sticks, on memory chips on video cards......are really cheap. They are also easy to install, and they do get hot, which means they're working. Why not use them? They don't make noise...... :lol:

FWIW.......I put a relatively large heatsink on the Winbond chip on my A-Open board. This chip was where the system temp sensor was located. My system temperature was reading 52C+ before the heatsink. Now it reads <40C. Makes me feel better. :D

Calgarian

Post by Calgarian » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:11 pm

We seem to be considering similar systems.

(In my case, E6600, P5B Deluxe, eVGA 7900 GS KO, and likely a Solo/P150 or 180 case)

I will likely get the Noctua NH-U6 fanless chipset cooler.

For the CPU cooler, it will either be the Noctua NH-U12F with one or two 120mm fans or the NH-U9F with one or two 92mm fans.

After putting up with a too hot system for too long, I'm willing to go the extra mile in the other direction.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm

No, the little "novelty" heatsinks are generally useless. Designed to separate fools from their money.

Yes, some of those things get warm. And? Chips like NB's and Winbond sensor chips are perfectly fine running at temps up in the 70-100° range. (You can look up the operating spec's for them online, if you are legitimately worried) Some people have a paranoid response to the temperature readings they see or feel coming out of their machines. The heatsink companies are more than happy to prey upon their ignorance by selling them crap they don't really need, but makes them feel better about what is going on inside their computer.

If your system works fine without them, why install them? And if your system only works fine with them installed, then you have more serious issues than will be solved by $5 heatsinks.

I'd spend the money elsewhere, on something useful.

Calgarian

Post by Calgarian » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:25 pm

Do you only recommend a CPU cooler then?

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Rusty075 wrote:No, the little "novelty" heatsinks are generally useless. Designed to separate fools from their money.

Yes, some of those things get warm. And? Chips like NB's and Winbond sensor chips are perfectly fine running at temps up in the 70-100° range. (You can look up the operating spec's for them online, if you are legitimately worried) Some people have a paranoid response to the temperature readings they see or feel coming out of their machines. The heatsink companies are more than happy to prey upon their ignorance by selling them crap they don't really need, but makes them feel better about what is going on inside their computer.

If your system works fine without them, why install them? And if your system only works fine with them installed, then you have more serious issues than will be solved by $5 heatsinks.

I'd spend the money elsewhere, on something useful.
I agree but only if we're talking about running at stock speeds. When overclocking, a northbridge *MIGHT* require improved cooling depending on how much you're pushing the system.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:32 pm

pyogenes wrote:I agree but only if we're talking about running at stock speeds. When overclocking, a northbridge *MIGHT* require improved cooling depending on how much you're pushing the system.
As the OP said. Now if you want to get into a discussion of how useless overclocking is, well, that's a whole different topic. :wink:

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:47 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Now if you want to get into a discussion of how useless overclocking is, well, that's a whole different topic. :wink:
Discussing the merits of overclocking is like discussing politics or religion. You won't catch me doing that on a forum. :lol:

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:56 am

pyogenes wrote: Discussing the merits of overclocking is like discussing politics or religion. You won't catch me doing that on a forum. :lol:
You're no fun at all... :P

I've often wondered if the mass of heatsinks and heatpipes on modern high-end motherboards really do anything useful, or if they're primarily just for show.

They do work in a sense - I've just ordered an Abit AW9D Max for my new build, after spending ages trying to rationalise why I need it when a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 at 2/3 the price is just as capable for my purposes. I can sort of justify it - sophisticated BIOS fan controls, and... and... err, that's about it. :roll:

The real reason if I'm honest with myself though is because it looks the dog's bollocks. Pathetic really, especially as I don't even have a case window and I'll hardly ever see it...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:32 am

Considering this is an SPCR forum......I assume most people here are running fans at reduced airflow compared to the "norm". That includes me. But I haven't thrown caution to the winds.....

I concern myself with temperatures, temperatures of everything in my computers. And I go to great lengths to keep temperatures as low as possible, without increasing airflow. More heatsinks, bigger, more efficient heatsinks, are an easy way to make more efficient use of the reduced airflow in a quiet computer.

Look.....the better the heat transfer to the airflow, the lower that airflow needs to be. This translates into a quieter computer. And sure, some components can tolerate higher temps better than other components.....but running high temperatures is a gamble with electronic components. I prefer to error on the side of caution....