Removing lower TriCool fan in P180 ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

swayzak

Removing lower TriCool fan in P180 ?

Post by swayzak » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:48 pm

hi

I can see some instructions in the review - a bit unclear & refer to older version of P180 with different fan.

At the moment I've threaded some cables between the fan blades - not exactly ideal !

Can someone give me instructions as to how I remove this fan ?

thanks

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:20 pm

lol though the fan blades.... on the bottom corners ther are little notches that you can squeeze wires thought.... and what you do to remove the fan is on the tab thats wider than the fan is thick puch on that while pulling on the fan

swayzak

Post by swayzak » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:22 am

PopCorn wrote:lol though the fan blades.... on the bottom corners ther are little notches that you can squeeze wires thought.... and what you do to remove the fan is on the tab thats wider than the fan is thick puch on that while pulling on the fan
OK, thanks - I'll give it a go (I gave up last night for fear of breaking it).

Not sure the sata & power cables would fit through these notches anyway... ?

swayzak

Post by swayzak » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:06 am

PopCorn wrote:lol though the fan blades.... on the bottom corners ther are little notches that you can squeeze wires thought.... and what you do to remove the fan is on the tab thats wider than the fan is thick puch on that while pulling on the fan
Hmm..not getting very far here.

Do you mean the wide tab on the right (as looking from the psu end) ?

The only way that seems to "pushable" is laterally (towards the sides of the case) and that doesn't feel good (as though it'a going to snap).

The fan remains unmovable whilst attempting this.

I'm obviously missing something here..here's a couple of pix.

swayzak

Post by swayzak » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:46 am

Nevermind - I did it by following the short video on this site (but snapped 2 of the tri spokes in the process)

Hopefully I won't need it again anyway......

mcgerard

Post by mcgerard » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 pm

I have taken delivery of my P180B case today and have also been looking at the removal of the fan in the lower compartment as I want to fit a Noctua there. At first sight it seems impossible. Where is the video swayzak mentions?

Also, can anyone explain the reason for raised baffle on one side of the Antec fan in the lower compartment?

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 pm

ok ill make this as detailed as i can.... when you open the the side over .. look directly at it... so all you can see is the plasic mounting bracket thing.... that black plasic "tab" is what you push in while pulling the fan... so take your thumb push on the tab... then take the fingers on the same hand stick them in side the fan... and pull..... idk how people have trouble getting it out.... i had trouble getting it back in...

on the bottom pic that he posted, the thing this right thumb is on thats what you push in

mcgerard

Post by mcgerard » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks PopCorn - I did it. Easy when you know how :) . Once I got it out I could how it is retained.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:39 pm

any time .... if you cant get it to snap back in to place push hard on the tab and squeze the fan so it snaps in to place.... took me 30 seconds to get me mine out, like an hour to get it back in