P5B Deluxe POST Message - Error?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mcgerard

P5B Deluxe POST Message - Error?

Post by mcgerard » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Still building my quiet PC - nearly there but not yet installed an OS.
When I startup I get a POST message in green colour which lists my DVD-ROM and DVD writer with no other information. The screen pauses with a "Press F1 to continue" message - though it continues to boot anyway.

In the boot order section in BIOS the drives are listed and I can boot from either of them by inserting a bootable CD. So they seem to be working but why the POST message? Do I have a problem?

I have a supplementary question about the devices listed on the boot order page in BIOS. All my posible boot devices are there, my floppy, my HD, my DVD-ROM and my DVD writer but also another device - a plain "ATAPI DVD-ROM". Why this?

accord1999

Post by accord1999 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:14 pm

That's normal for the JMicron controller.

crap73

Post by crap73 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:07 pm

^^ he said it right... normal stuff from the JMicron controller...

If it's really bugging you, you can uninstall the JMicron drivers and install Windows own standard IDE driver.

I haven't had the chance to do it myself (i built my rig last weekend and i've been away from home since), but that should get rid of the JMicron message in POST and improve boot time.

If you decide to do it, I'd be glad to hear if you noticed a significant improvement before I do it myself this weekend! Let me know!

mcgerard

Post by mcgerard » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 am

Thanks for the replies. They have reassured me.

To uninstall the JMicron driver do I just disable it in the BIOS? Can I do that now before installing the OS or will my CD-ROM drive become unavailable?

crap73

Post by crap73 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:08 pm

You should be able to just go into Device Manager in Windows, and find JMicron listed in the controllers.
Just right click it and hit "update driver", then select "not this time">"install from a list or specific location">"don't search".
It should provide you a list including the JMicron controller (bad) and "standard dual channel PCI IDE controller" (good!).
Select the Standard controller and hit next... it should replace JMicron and ask if you want to reboot... say yes.

Like I said in my earlier post, I won't have access to my new computer untill this weekend so I haven't tested this procedure yet...
I'm assuming it should work, but I really can't guarantee it.
I can't see how it could go wrong though... if there's no improvement, you should be able to go back to JMicron using the same procedure.

mcgerard

Post by mcgerard » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:42 pm

I figured that as the message was being generated during the BIOS routines before the OS loaded I had to disable the JMicron controller in BIOS. I did this - the message went away, and boot time was shorter by 4 seconds. However the CD-ROM drives no longer operated as boot devices. Not surprising really. So for now I have reverted to having the JMicron controller enabled and when I am sure I have got my OS loaded finally I will disable it again.

crap73

Post by crap73 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:24 pm

hello again mcgerald

i'm back home now and have regained access to my new rig.
i did the procedure i proposed earlier and the boot wasn't faster... POST message is still there.

If I disable JMicron in BIOS like you did, then the message obviously goes away and boot is much faster (10s less for me), but IDE devices don't work at all (not detected in device manager).

I haven't yet found a way to have my IDE DVD work with JMicron disabled in BIOS. If you find a way, please let me know.

Next step for me is to try to RMA my Pioneer DVD and get a SATA DVD... that should do the trick.

JMicron = :evil:

Peroni

Post by Peroni » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:57 pm

There is no way to get the IDE devices to work if you disable the IDE controller.
You just need to get a SATA DVD