webcams for windows vista!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Puffi

webcams for windows vista!

Post by Puffi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 am

turns out my logitech quickcam messenger (the older model) wont work with windows vista, ever. so i guess i have to get a new webcam.

any idea what'd be the best webcam for under ~$50 that'd work in vista right now? i dont really care about anything but good picture in instant messaging programs.

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:41 pm

since no1's answering, i'll answer myself! u get the best answers that way anyway! :wink:

or maybe i'll just add a question:
any1 have the Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX? seems like a good choice for a cheap cam..?

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Just get something form a reputable company, Logitech and Microsoft are generally pretty good. Don't get the cheapest one, but there is usually no real benefit in going with the most expensive models. That logitech looks good.

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 pm

From what I understand, Microsoft's new webcams integrate really well with Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digit ... id=lifecam

Of course, I'd do some research on them if I were you, I might be a bit biased/brainwashed :lol:

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:42 am

yeah, i thought microsoft's webcams would work really well in vista too... but NOPE. i mean i'm sure they will at some point, but not right now. i was thinking about the VX-3000, but it didn't seem to have any drivers for vista. most of the not-incredibly-old cams by any company will be supported, but some of em will get drivers on the third or fourth quarter of 2007 etc... that's a long time to get a piece of hardware to work. i'm sure many people dont even think about hardware compatibility when they're switching to vista and this'll be a really nice thing to realize after u've formatted your HD for a fresh install... for nothing. i think i'll just go with the STX.