New Scythe Ninja Rev. B (SCNJ-1100P) on GA-965P-DS3??

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xenithon

New Scythe Ninja Rev. B (SCNJ-1100P) on GA-965P-DS3??

Post by xenithon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:50 am

Hi all. I finally found a decent source for the new Scythe Ninja here in South Africa (they will import it at decent pricing). This is the ideal heatsink for my application, but am a little worried about compatibility with the mobo: the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.

Anyone here have that mobo and that cooler together? Any issues? I have read some threads which say that there are slight issues with the GA-965G-DS3 (one with integrated graphics) such that they needed to file away the Ninja's bracket to prevent it touching the caps. Is this also the case in the GA-965P-DS3?

Cheers,
X

Avro

Post by Avro » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:23 am

I've got the Ninja B and a GA-965P-DS3. I was one of the unfortunate ones that had to file away a chunk of the bracket to get it to fit properly.

Here's where it interferes on mine:

Those 4 capacitors prevent the bracket from being seated correctly:

After dremelling:

I actually tried two 775 brackets because I've got 2 Ninja Rev.Bs and both didn't fit without dremelling it. Apparently some people did not have to cut/file away that round bit on theirs, so it may be due to manufacturing tolerances on the motherboard.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:36 am

Hmmmm....that's a little worrying. Thing is I will have my imported so no way to check beforehand. If I go ahead (which I would like to, as the Ninja seems optimal) and end up having to mod that bracket, are there any negatives that could happen? Does it affect the performance or stability in any way?

X

Avro

Post by Avro » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:38 am

I don't think it affects the structural integrity of the bracket much. You don't actually remove a lot of metal from it. If you don't have a Dremel or other rotary cutting tool you could use a plain metal file to grind it down. More time and elbow grease required of course, but same result.

I have it mounted in a tower case and it seems pretty secure. Maybe others could chime in.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:44 am

Any input would be appreciated, yes. At the moment I want to go for it, but I do not want to end up importing something to find it not suitable, and not having any course of action (cannot return specially imported items). Hmmmm, that Ultra-120 seems mighty tempting right now.

kb9skw

Post by kb9skw » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:55 am

I built a box with the same hardware and just went back and reviewed the pictures I took. Apparently I have the same problem but am unsure if i need/want to tear the whole thing apart to fix it.

Core2Duo E6300 at 3.22GHz with a ~600rpm Yate Loon on the Ninja. Full load temps seem to stay in the lower to mid 60s.

Avro

Post by Avro » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:41 pm

kb9skw wrote:I built a box with the same hardware and just went back and reviewed the pictures I took. Apparently I have the same problem but am unsure if i need/want to tear the whole thing apart to fix it.

Core2Duo E6300 at 3.22GHz with a ~600rpm Yate Loon on the Ninja. Full load temps seem to stay in the lower to mid 60s.
I just checked the E6300 my brother's box and it idles at 48*C and goes up to 60*C running Orthos, room temp about 21*C, stock Ninja B fan at 12v, rear TriCool on med in a Sonata II. It's clocked at 450x7=3.15GHz at 1.40v (cpu-z says it's only 1.344-1.36v).

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 pm

I'm looking at the same/similiar combination. I'm leaning towards the DS3P for the firewire.

It looks like all of the Gigabyte 965 boards have the same issue, with the majority of people online just ignoring the fit issue.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Well, I may still have the option of going for a Thermalright Ultra 120. Although the Ninja may be a little better due to having more fin spacing (better for lower air movement) it should still be more than fine in the non-overclocked system. I'd rather play it safe than risk importing something which would not be suitable.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Just order something and don't obsess over it.

I got the Ninja Rev. B for my DS3. I had to file down one side of the 775-bracket to avoid those capacitors. I don't find this to be a diffidult task and it works fine after that. One tip if you are doing the trimming with a handheld metal-file, hold the file still in one hand and work the bracket back and forth across the file. Since the bracket it so light weight this is less work.

I like my Ninja very well. I'm using it on on Intel Core2 Duo E4300 and it keeps it close to ambient without a fan.

deathbyburrito
Friend of SPCR

Post by deathbyburrito » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:52 am

I have the DS3 and a Ninja. I'm not sure if you can find one, but if you can get ahold of one with the old mounting system it will fit without any grinding.