Fortron 120mm FSP300-60PN or FSP350-60PN more quiet?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

soundOFsilence

Fortron 120mm FSP300-60PN or FSP350-60PN more quiet?

Post by soundOFsilence » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:58 am

I am trying to decide between these two as I had mentioned in this thread. I have read all the threads (especially the loooooong one about them) but have not seen a head-to-head comparison.

Does the 300 watt version have a constant speed fan (enough for max load) as mentioned elsewhere, or an automatically adjusting fan speed?

The 350 watt version seems to have manually adjustable speed knob as shown on Newegg.com here. How does this work? Can you turn the fan all the way down and load the PSU to the max and just burn it, or is there a protection circuit? Is there an automatic fan speed option that would adjust the fan speed as needed instead of dealing with the knob?

There appears to be 2 different versions of each of these PSUs released by FSP. See FSP's web site here and look at the press releases dated 2/14 and 3/31.

Can the blue leds on the Aurora version (350 watt sold at newegg.com) be turned off?

In general, would having more power or "overhead" in the PSU mean a cooler running PSU or a warmer one? In the recommended PSU section it is noted that "higher efficiency is the key to cooler, quieter PSU operation". By looking at the Nexus 3000 and 4000 reviews here and here, I see that the 300 watt version is more efficient (thus cooler?) at lower loads, i.e. 75-150watts. However, I would think that the larger power PSU would come with a bigger heat sink capable of handling a larger load, thus aiding the fan more at lower loads. I guess I am coming to the conclusion that "it depends" :) Any remarks?

On that note, can somebody who has worked with both of these give us a comparison review of the two?

Thanks in advance...

edited to quote SPCR Recommended PSU section

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:54 am

I'd like to see a comparison between the PF and non-PF version.

Jan

soundOFsilence

Post by soundOFsilence » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:01 am

I have seen in the "loooong" thread referenced above that the PF version is said to be louder. It was suggested that PF inherently should not make it any louder, so it remains a mystery as to why it is so. Maybe someone can verify/explain.

Can anyone shed any light on the questions above?