Silverstone TJ09

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

born2code

Silverstone TJ09

Post by born2code » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to SPCR. Been pouring over the reviews here for days. What a great site!!!

I'm getting ready to build a server. What do you think about this case?

I plan to use a Corsair HX620 and Noctua fans. Was thinking about possibly building a wind tunnel with the top vent for an intake, but I can't decide whether to go with the NINJA or the Ultra-120.

Any thoughts?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:50 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

Hmmm, it aluminum -- I think the Antec P180 might be a better choice.

The Ninja and the Ultra-120 are a hair's breadth apart for high to medium air flow; with low air flow favoring the Ninja a bit. So, I'd say the Ninja.

born2code

Post by born2code » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:39 am

Not seeing a whole lot of interest here. Aluminum baaaad... P180 good. Is there no middle ground? Honestly, the P180 looks to be poorly constructed and wouldn't last six months? Is there no way to make a quiet PC out of a Silverstone?

nici

Post by nici » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:39 pm

Yeah you can make it quiet, it just requires more work and it might get frustrating. it also depends on how quiet you want, if a HDD in free air is quiet enough then itäs pretty easy even in that silverstone. Put a ninja or Ultra-120 on the CPU, get a quiet GPU and some good fans for the case.

I have had expensive silverstone alu cases, but right now i use a beat up seriously moddded P180. It's all scratched and has opening covered with blue tape, but im still working on it :lol:

christopher3393

TJ-09

Post by christopher3393 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm also very interested in the TJ-09. The unique gpu cooling arrangement will help a little in cooling a G80 series card. But the concerns that Nici expresses are also my concerns. I think it wouldn't be too hard to dampen the side panels, which are already getting a bad reputation for being too thin, but the side vents' proximity to the hdd cages doesn't appear to have an easy solution - a potentially high price to pay in noise exchanged for a few degrees of cooling.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for how to reduce hdd noise without losing the most unique feature of this case.

born2code

Post by born2code » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:51 pm

I have pretty much given up on the TJ09 for precisely that reason. The hard drives may as well be outside.