Hi ? ATX Power Supply

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dizzyegg

Hi ? ATX Power Supply

Post by dizzyegg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm

Hello all,

I have read many reviews on this website and am looking to build a near silent mATX machine based on the SUGO case.

I thought it would be a good idea to sign up to the forum as the reviews I have read have been useful.

I was wondering what people thought of the best ATX Power Supply, im looking for something quite and around 600W.

I hoping the PSU will run Core 2 Duo E6600, a mid range DirectX10 Graphics Card (When released), TV card, 2gb ddr2, dvd writer and 2 hard drives.

Any input on a decent silent PSU would be great.

Thanks

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

There's a reference/recommended list here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html .

Most people will agree that anything above a 7 in quality and noise on that list is fairly good.

Two things I see:
1) You don't need 600W for that system you're proposing. Even a 300W PSU can handle what you're asking. Anything in the 350-450W range on the aforementioned recommended list will be fine unless you're going for SLI. However, SLI isn't exactly the most economical way of upgrading. It's generally better to stick with one graphics card. I'd recommend a 380W Seasonic S12 or 380W Antec NeoHE, which is a little cheaper than the Seasonic.

2) There's no such thing a 'silent'. Well, there is, but I don't think you want that, especially the definition of 'silent' in these forums. What I think you want is a quiet PSU (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Be careful how you use the word 'silent' around here. If you want a real silent PSU, you'd have to look into passive (no fan) PSUs like the Fortron Zen or an external brick PSU.

born2code

Post by born2code » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:17 pm

It is a grim reality that, at least for certain games, SLI is required just to obtain acceptable frame rates.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 pm

born2code wrote:It is a grim reality that, at least for certain games, SLI is required just to obtain acceptable frame rates.
Which games does this apply to? Are you telling me a single 8800GTX couldn't get acceptable fps for these games?

born2code

Post by born2code » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:38 pm

I was thinking of Oblivion.