What is your least favorite noise[?]

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

What is your least favorite noise[?]

Post by aristide1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:18 pm

The sound of arrogance and self absorption. The total disregard of all others, in all aspects of respect. The complete denial of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The loud proclaim "I'm made it, I'm there, you're nothing." The ability to feel joy and entertainment at someone else's expense.

The Harley Davidson rider.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:13 pm

A POS Honda Civic with a cracked head, busted exhaust, and a coffee-can muffler on the end and a 16yo inside blasting a $5000 stereo system in the lot outside my apartment.

Anything that wakes me up at night/in the morning.

Anything that I can hear when watching a movie (at home or in the theater)

Screaming kids running through WalMart like it was their personal playground while the fat-ass mother stares absent-mindedly at the back of a bag of Baked Lays counting carbs...

I better stop now.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 pm

I concur with the noisy biker thing.

But my least favorite noise of all has to be the one coming from the television when my wife is watching something like "The 20 most stylish celebrities" on some Hollywood trash TV show.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:28 pm

my girlfriend nagging me.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:37 pm

I wholeheartedly concur with Harleys and fart cans. Seriously people.

Apart from that, the ringing in my left ear that won't go away. It's annoying, and the level of annoyance is best described by words frowned upon at SPCR.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:03 pm

GamingGod wrote:my girlfriend nagging me.

Weren't we talking about the lack of girlfriend some time back? You may stopped that, but I never did.

digitalfeed

Post by digitalfeed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:55 pm

When someone runs their fingernails across one of those plastic 3D hologram-like images.

I cringe everytime I hear that sound and I have know idea why it sends shivers down my spine.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:40 pm

qviri wrote:I wholeheartedly concur with Harleys and fart cans. Seriously people.

Apart from that, the ringing in my left ear that won't go away. It's annoying, and the level of annoyance is best described by words frowned upon at SPCR.
Harley noise is definitely near the top of my annoyance list in terms of sheer annoyance, but since I don't have to put up with it too often it's not at the very top.

It used to be airplane noise, but since I moved that has become relatively a non-issue now.

My number one noise annoyance now (half the year that is), without a doubt, are the ride lawn mower owners who drive non-stop for 1.5 to 2 hours serially (one owner finishes and the next begins). Can kill a weekend completely and many a weekday too.

Qviri, I'm curious to know how you came down with your tinnitus?
How long have you had it?

nici

Post by nici » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:55 pm

The worst noise i know of is listening to someone eat with their mouth open. It's infuriating. Especially when im tired.

Any gas powered lawnmover is irritating if it's used on a tiny patch of grass which you could cut manually in the time it takes to start the engine on the tractor. Though they are very useful if you happen to have a huge lawn, like my grandparents. It takes two hours to cut with one of those tractor thingies if you drive it like a madman :lol:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:27 am

A failed/failing HDD, the noise of clicks, clunks, scraping and scratching.

The noise itself is vile, but it sounds much worse when you know that hudreds of files are vanishing with every evil noise that the drive is producing.

Harley "shyte"TM Davidsons.
Hairdryers on wheels (mopeds, wussboy motorbikes).
Babies crying (I can understand why people kill crying babies).
Anything when you have a headache/migrane.
Magpies at 4:30AM (air rifle takes care of them :twisted: and its legal).

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:24 am

Steel wheel rim hitting Granite curbstone, the noise of 4 inches of 6mm steel being folded under pressure, grating against a very very hard chunk of stone.
Doh :( I will find out how my poor car is tonight, BTW I am not a shyte driver, we had 5 inches of snow overnight and my road has not seen grit for 12 months, my car went sideways by 4 foot at 5mph in second gear.

Andy

PS: Dont ask questions about my car as this will ruin the horrid noise topic.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:31 am

Should we start a separate thread about car goofups then? I have a pretty good one myself... :lol:

But since you mentioned it, i have to say that i agree. The most painful noise i know of is 18" worth of OZ Ultraleggera scraping a granite curb. It's worse than thinking of a dentists drill.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:50 am

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh drills.

Well pointed out, any kind of drill is a repulsive noise, whether it be a high speed dentists drill, or a pneumatic concrete demolishing drill.

FUBAR CRT monitor's squealing at 35Db's is evil, they produce a pure tone that would drive anyone mad in minutes, even worse than a dentists drill.

Andy

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:01 am

jhhoffma wrote:....a coffee-can muffler on the end ...
Ha, I always thought those mufflers were recycled coffee cans that were chromed and sold for hundreds of dollars.

You have to admit though, they did triple the value of the typical vehicle they are attached to. :shock:

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:20 am

andyb wrote: Hairdryers on wheels (mopeds, wussboy motorbikes).
Babies crying (I can understand why people kill crying babies).
Anything when you have a headache/migrane.
YES! YES! And YES!

I was going to post the first one last night, but i was too tired :D

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:29 am

digitalfeed wrote:When someone runs their fingernails across one of those plastic 3D hologram-like images.

I cringe everytime I hear that sound and I have know idea why it sends shivers down my spine.
I have a similar one: finger nails on chalk board. The dryness of chalk bugs me too.
qviri wrote:ringing in ear
I've gotten used to the small bit that is in my ear. I didn't really notice it until I got interested in quieting my computer (original computer was maddeningly loud and annoying before coming to SPCR.)

nici

Post by nici » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:53 am

The one thing that bugs me the most about chalk is that it is no more, pretty much every school replaces the chalk boards with white plastic boards and use marker pens. The shiny white looks horrible and is hard to read, and the pens squeek. Next thing we know students will be sitting on acrylic designer chairs typing on macs.

Am i mad, or was there just talk about clothes in this thread?

unmake

Post by unmake » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:10 pm

It's a tie between power-tools - especially circular saws - and screaming children.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:19 pm

nici, I wrote about clothes here and then immediately reduced it to one reference because it was too OT.

I see the connection and could develop it more, but I don't want to go OT and don't think it deserves its own thread.

We each have our unique posting styles... :P

EDIT: oh and I like markers so hush up. They do seem artificial, but anything is better than chalk for me.
Last edited by Trip on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:41 pm

1. Car audio subs that go boom-boom, which is especially prevalent near my house.
2. The kids next door, especially after school and on weekends. But that's my time alone!
3. The neighbor's hideously insecure dog. Keep it down, you animal, no one gives a damn!

What a crappy neighborhood. :evil: Thankfully, the latter two have somewhat subsided.

In my own house...
1. The sister banging away on the keyboard during her chat sessions, which is every time she's on the computer, which is every non-sleeping hour of her non-school day. :x
2. Sadly, the computers in the home. Not all have had the SPCR treatment, which is too bad, but I have limited funds. :(
3. The fridge. I'll be sure to pick a quiet model next time around, with an eye on energy efficiency, of course.
4. HVAC. I have a feeling it's louder than most people's.
5. For a time, the fish tank and its pump. But all the fishies died and now it's empty. Silence ensued.
6. The ticking of the living room clock. We need a digital timekeeper, perhaps of the atomic kind complete with a small weather station.
7. The creaking of doors. Might need some not-so-judicious application of WD-40.
8. My dad when he eats. :lol:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:59 pm

I put my clock on its back so it wouldn't tick. It's not as convenient to read but silent.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:39 pm

A POS Honda Civic with a cracked head, busted exhaust, and a coffee-can muffler on the end and a 16yo inside blasting a $5000 stereo system in the lot outside my apartment.
I feel your pain, really I do. This is not a problem where I currently live (thank the sweet Lord) but it's an ever-present danger; ricers and boy racers seem to exist everywhere.
My number one noise annoyance now (half the year that is), without a doubt, are the ride lawn mower owners who drive non-stop for 1.5 to 2 hours serially (one owner finishes and the next begins). Can kill a weekend completely and many a weekday too.
This is one of the few noise advantages of living in an urban area, lawns are either small or non-existent. Unfortunately this is negated by the extra traffic noise and general urban background noise.
if you happen to have a huge lawn, like my grandparents. It takes two hours to cut with one of those tractor thingies if you drive it like a madman
2 hours?!! Do they live on a farm or something?

I have to agree with a dog barking non-stop, it's just the mindless persistence of the thing, an I'm-not-going-to-stop-barking-until-the-end-of-time bloodymindedness, I'm sure I am not the only one to have considered T-bone steak liberally salted with rat poison at such times.

Drills, babies crying, cars with rock-concert loud stereos, those angle grinder things they use to cut paving slabs, and all-day barking dogs would be my Top 5 most hated noises.

YugenM

Post by YugenM » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:56 pm

-motorcycles
-screaming/crying kids
-rap and techno music
-knife going through cabbage (I don't know why, I get a headache whenever I hear it)
-loud cars
-clock noise
-hard drive noise
-fan bearing noise
-my mom/dad/brother nagging me
-anything while I'm watching a movie or listening to music.
-pump noise (I was standing near an air-cooled pump while I was working in Japan last summer. BVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV............)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:31 am

-knife going through cabbage (I don't know why, I get a headache whenever I hear it)
:shock: Seriously dude.... or are you having a bubble. If cutting cabbage really disturbes you, you might want to be careful of people with stethoscopes and white coats :P

Andy

YugenM

Post by YugenM » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:45 pm

andyb wrote:
:shock: Seriously dude.... or are you having a bubble. If cutting cabbage really disturbes you, you might want to be careful of people with stethoscopes and white coats :P

Andy
cabbage cutting noise (not individual leaves, but cutting through a whole cabbage head like a block) has the same effect on my head that stepping on a pile of canine fecal matter has. Stepping on canine fecal matter feels like it pierces the sole of my shoe and something is stinging at my feet, while the sound of a block of cabbage being cut feels like it pierces my skull and shrieks at my brain.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:14 pm

YugenM wrote:
cabbage cutting noise (not individual leaves, but cutting through a whole cabbage head like a block) has the same effect on my head that stepping on a pile of canine fecal matter has. Stepping on canine fecal matter feels like it pierces the sole of my shoe and something is stinging at my feet, while the sound of a block of cabbage being cut feels like it pierces my skull and shrieks at my brain.
:shock: :shock: That's some scary s***, man.

As for me, I can't take that squeaking noise styrofoam makes sometimes, neighbors who play loud music with way too much bass, cars with fart can exhausts, and clocks that tick loudly.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Worst Noise? Got to be my nephew screaming and crying all the time - he's done it since a baby and still gives me a headache.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Hello,

A car crash.

A big explosion.

Gunfire.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

A car crash.

A big explosion.

Gunfire.
You must love action movies, then!

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

A car crash.

A big explosion.

Gunfire.
..yeah,my housemate had that movie up pretty loud late last night. :roll:

Rap/Hiphop/Neanderthal Thump/mechanized mental metal and whatever simplistic redundant crapola pseudo-music local teen mutants tend to play on their "stereos" which,it seems,consist of 4 15" woofs,no mids all tuned to produce the 2 notes their primitive culture can comprehend.

Whenever such a curse/motor vehicle is near I find myself thinking how nice it would be to have a rocket propelled grenade......ironically...that would pretty much give,for a moment,those noises NeilBlanchard mentioned above.......but soon followed by silence :D

Living surrounded by 200 ft tall Redwoods and Doug Firs,hearing strong wind and the loud crunchy sound of a tree about to break or fall...... :shock: :mrgreen:

The sound of everything around me moving,in the first few sec of an earthquake. :shock: