core 2 duo temp

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JaRoD

core 2 duo temp

Post by JaRoD » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:45 am

I've just bought a e4300 core 2 duo cpu. But the cpu temps is different depending on what program I use to read the temps. Running at 2.7Ghz and default voltage I get 60c with speedfan and 42 with coretemp when running orthos.

I have the thermaltake big typhoon cooler. Which one is correct? and how hot do core2duo's usually run? I mean if 60c is the true value the default cooler would be something like 80c :shock: Idle temps are about 40 with speedfan and 20 with coretemp in a room that's 24c. So atleast I know that coretemp isn't that correct...

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:29 pm

Search for Intel TAT, Thermal Analysis Tool. It's the one that is guaranteed to get it right. RMClock for instance shows way wrong (low) numbers.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Tried TAT but got some error :( And just tried RMclock and got temps of 8-10 c :roll: Any other ones I can try?

//Edit
I tried loading both cores for 10 minutes and measured the heatpipe temps and got 30c so I'm pretty sure the cpu can't be 60c. And I've tried remounting the cooler 3 times and did get an improvement of about 3c during the first remount. But got same result during the second remount as during the first.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Retried tat and still didn't work but I was hoping it would be a newer version that would. But after uninstalling it the temps have dropped alot, running orthos I'm now at about 48c :shock: idle is still about the same though. I'm just getting more confused all the time by all this weirdness... But atleast these temps sound a bit more like what they should be but who knows :evil:

//Edit
Now I know why , tat lowered the multiplier and cpu voltage and now it won't go up again unless I reboot...

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:42 pm

You're not the only one confused.

I, too, downloaded TAT but got an error when I tried to run it (something about "Error enumerating on demand clock modulation support). So I next tried "Core Temp" (Beta 0.94), and it gave me screwy numbers, too.

It's reporting 19C at idle, which exactly equals my ambient temperature. How could that be correct? abit, measuring TM1, reports 27C, which seems much more reasonable.

So, is there any way to read the TM2 temperature?

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:30 pm

What are TM1 and TM2? I too get 19 at idle in coretemp but my ambient is 22-23. With speedfan which seems to show the same as my bios I get about 37 idle. I've been doing some calculations and I'm starting to think that an overclocked c2d really runs this hot.

Calculated tdp for my old cpu is about 65w since it's about 43w at default speed and overclocked almost 50% and a slight vcore increase. With a coretemp of 50 using s&m the calculated c/w is about 0.46 Since I basically run at the same speed at the x6800 I get a tdp of 75w. Calculated c/w is pretty much the same as with my amd...

Btw, coretemp seems to be about 15c lower than what speedfan shows and I've read something about the e4300 having some temperature value of 85 and the other conroes have it at 100 so it seems coretemp just calculated wrong. So it might be that coretemp is correct if one adds 15c to it. But I'm not 100% sure on that though.

That would mean I'd have an idle temp of about 34 and a load temp of about 60c.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Well, first it would have helped if I had posted the correct info.

TM1 is the internal (on-CPU) thermal sensor, TM2 is the external (on mobo) sensor. The former obviously being more accurate (in theory) than the latter. Which is the opposite of what I posted earlier. You might be interested in this thread to learn more.

I believe I read somewhere that one reason TM1 readings might be wrong is that the number the CPU gives back is a delta from the shutdown value, and they don't publish that value, so different programs have different guesses at it. Or something like that. Don't believe anything I write; I can't even keep TM1 & TM2 straight. :) Those 85C & 100C temps might be the throttle temps I was referring to. Maybe that's it; we just have to add 15 to what core temp shows.

I haven't tried SpeedFan yet as I had no need for it (as far as fan control goes), thanks to abit's uguru. Not to mention, it probably doesn't (yet?) work with the QuadGT. I'm still loading software on my machine, and haven't even tried an OC yet. In fact, I haven't even run prime95 or orthos yet, so I've still got a long way to go. But since I'm getting about 7C degrees above ambient at idle at stock speed, I can certainly imagine that you'd get ambient +15C OC'd. That doesn't sound too bad at all to me.

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Ken5d,

This is a bit off-topic, but thanks for that link you provided to that other thread. It was very useful. From it, I think I've finally figured out what a couple of odd temperatures I was getting from Speedfan are.

Regardless, unless I missed it in that thread, it doesn't seem that they take ambient temperature (or, more specifically, case temperature) into consideration when determining what a good CPU temperature is.

For my system, which is only stock dual core, not quad, it looks like those old, approximate core temperatures (TM2) run about 10 degrees over the internal case temperature and the new, "precise" core temperatures (TM1) run about 10 degrees over those (right now, they're at 28 case/39 TM2/48 TM1). This is with an SI-120, which is considerably less efficient than your HR-01 or JaRoD's Big Typhoon. Both my case fan and heatsink fan are running as slow as I can get them with Speedfan. Under load, those temperatures increase by about 5 degrees.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:58 pm

DaveLessnau wrote:This is a bit off-topic, but thanks for that link you provided to that other thread. It was very useful. From it, I think I've finally figured out what a couple of odd temperatures I was getting from Speedfan are.

Regardless, unless I missed it in that thread, it doesn't seem that they take ambient temperature (or, more specifically, case temperature) into consideration when determining what a good CPU temperature is.
I'm glad it helped. I agree about ambient/case temps: I wish more people would mention those when they give their CPU temps. I know here our ambient temperature can range from as low as 16-17C to as high as about 34C. You can bet my idle CPU temp isn't going to remain at 27C when ambient's at 34C!

I tried Speedfan, but as I feared, it didn't work with my motherboard. I did get data on my HD, though, which is useful to keep an eye on. (I've got only 1 HD installed right now.)

Your case temp is just 2 degrees higher than mine, but your TM2 CPU temp is 13C higher. Unless you're OC'ing, I'd say you're right about the difference being the HSF.

I haven't decided on my final configuration, but for now, I've got a single exhaust fan (a 120mm JMC PWM running at about 700 RPM) ducted to the HR-01, and 2 92mm YL intakes running at, well, I don't know what they're running at (I'd have to boot into BIOS to find out). But they're at 8v, and pretty quiet.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:01 am

Thx for the link Ken5d. I hate it when I read a review and they show the cpu temp but nothing about ambient temps. Sort of like talking about how much something costs but not mentioning what currency :roll:

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:02 pm

So... now I've "upgraded" the cooling to a thermalright ultra-120. It's running at about the same temp... Running with 2 fans, one pushing onto and one pulling air out of the heatsink I get about 3-4c cooler than with the big typhoon :?