W/C My P180

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

teh_robbie

W/C My P180

Post by teh_robbie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:08 pm

I always told myself I'd never do it, I used to be a WC/Neon/Sidewindow junkie and thought with this rig, i'll just leave ncie and palin and air cooled.

Then one day the Internet was down for a while due to something and I got fiddling with my Assortment of Pumps/Radiators/Waterblocks and though up of some ways i could WC the p180 without stuffing up its overall sleek and sexy look and was looking for a few opinions!

Anyway, What needs to be cooled to eliminate the noisey fans are the CPU/GPU/Chipset, so my Flow will go something like this:

Pump > 120mm Rad > CPU > 120mm Rad > GPU > Chipset > Res > Pump

I've had a setup liekt his before in another case and quite liked it, but on to where I can mount the radiator!

(Don't have my Digicam on me, so i'll try to explin using P180 pics, and an old one from another one of my Rigs)

The first 120mm Radiator will be mouted on the top, Most liekly over the pre-existing fan mount and will look like this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/robert.l ... owhole.jpg

The 2nd Radiator will be mounted on the Rear 120mm Fan mount Externally similar to the Top mount with only Holes for the barbs to fit through drilled like on this Stolen picture :P (Thanks SPCR!)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/robert.l ... dholes.JPG

So I can get any feedback on if you think this is a good idea, before I go and attack my Beautiful new P180 with a drill press! :P

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:43 pm

I like the idea, but I'm wondering if it's possible to mount them internally? I'd obviouly be more work, but if it's possible it'd be a killer elegant rig :D

teh_robbie

Post by teh_robbie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:17 am

Yea they do fit internally, and i can make them, But the idea is the top rad will look similar to the old cover and the rear one is outta site. + being outside means they dont radiate as much heat in the case.

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:03 pm

component order does not matter (at least in a high-flow loop).

However, most people recommend shorter tubing runs over component order. Why? I don't know. But component order does not matter.

Omarko

Post by Omarko » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:30 pm

good plan ... thing is it might be tight to fit it all in ... but with careful planning and patience it can be done ....

here is my WCooled P180

http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/21_65 ... 49e435d909

warriorpoet

Re: W/C My P180

Post by warriorpoet » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:52 pm

teh_robbie wrote:I always told myself I'd never do it, I used to be a WC/Neon/Sidewindow junkie and thought with this rig, i'll just leave ncie and palin and air cooled.

Then one day the Internet was down for a while due to something and I got fiddling with my Assortment of Pumps/Radiators/Waterblocks and though up of some ways i could WC the p180 without stuffing up its overall sleek and sexy look and was looking for a few opinions!

Anyway, What needs to be cooled to eliminate the noisey fans are the CPU/GPU/Chipset, so my Flow will go something like this:

Pump > 120mm Rad > CPU > 120mm Rad > GPU > Chipset > Res > Pump

I've had a setup liekt his before in another case and quite liked it, but on to where I can mount the radiator!

(Don't have my Digicam on me, so i'll try to explin using P180 pics, and an old one from another one of my Rigs)

The first 120mm Radiator will be mouted on the top, Most liekly over the pre-existing fan mount and will look like this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/robert.l ... owhole.jpg

The 2nd Radiator will be mounted on the Rear 120mm Fan mount Externally similar to the Top mount with only Holes for the barbs to fit through drilled like on this Stolen picture :P (Thanks SPCR!)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/robert.l ... dholes.JPG

So I can get any feedback on if you think this is a good idea, before I go and attack my Beautiful new P180 with a drill press! :P
I had a near identical setup, and temps were, to say the least, disappointing. WHat I've done since is much more satisfying, thoough it does necessitate one small hole in the back of the case.

Components:
CPU: AquaXtreme MP-05 SP LE
GPU: EK FCX1900
Pump: Laing D5 (though I'd go with Petrastechshop's version of the DDC pro now)
Radiator: HWLabs GTS360 (The Swiftech 3x 120mm radiator is as good, the Thermochill alternative, though more expensive, is the best on the market)
Tubing: 6 ft. 7/16" ID
Res: none. I found a T line works much better in the P180, given the space constraints inherent in the design.
IMPORTANT: to get good temps in the P180 without cutting huge holes in it, a Swiftech Radbox is HIGHLY recommended.

some pics:

Hope that helps!

In case you're wondering, the prior, ineffective setup looked like this:

teh_robbie

Post by teh_robbie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:20 am

After a long hold, due to Life events, i put together the setup, for just the CPU.

I know, only one fan on the DUAL radiator blah blah, gimmie some time :P

I will mostlikely be using a jigsaw on the top of the case and cutting out the exact shape of the radiator, and two holes for tubing, and then mouting the radiator on the outside of the case, but with the barbs passing through the holes for an exact "Stealthed" fit. After that is done, it will give me the clearance on the rear to mount a Single radiator in a similar fassion. (Only if i find the temps becoming to crazy once i introduce the 2 7600GT's into the loop.

What I have found though, is that i keep only one antec fan on that radiator and on lowest setting, at night while tis downloading it quiet as, but when i play games i crank it up and its sweet! dont really care aobut silence with my headphones on :P

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:45 am

:shock: Where's the fat 1/2" tubing? :shock:

Brendan

teh_robbie

Post by teh_robbie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Meh, been with 1/2" Been there done that, got billions of spare parts/hoses/fittings lol, but i find 3/8" does the job just fine, and the pump is silent as when given a rubber base. I know everyone pushes for 1/2" lol, but seriously? Go buy both, and the difference is nothing to salivate over lol

+ 3/8" Is just cleaner :)

teh_robbie

Post by teh_robbie » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Sorry been busy, but anyway i finished installing the parts, didn't have camera with me when I was doing the minor alterations so they are not visable :(

Anywayz, Here's the finished Product (Mostly)

Pump and Res are in the bottom compartment, along with the main HDD (IDE Drive ontop will be removed right after Vista Boot manager stops giving me the shits!!! :evil: )

Mouted the GFX cooler pointing to the front of the case, as it seemed to be easier to route to tubing that way. (Other GFX will be getting a Passive Heatsink cooler, most likely the Thermalright HR-03 as i thought that having both GFX in the loop would dump a little to much heat to be running the fans at low RPM's overnight.)

Just a picture of the Radiator (Fans are sucking the air through and out of the case.)

Decided to keep the original Antec Grill on the top 120mm, and place a grill over the cut 120mm fan.

And the case is back and running almost naked :( all that's left to do is some wire management, and slap the pannels back on!

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:22 pm

teh_robbie wrote:Sorry been busy, but anyway i finished installing the parts, didn't have camera with me when I was doing the minor alterations so they are not visable :(

Anywayz, Here's the finished Product (Mostly)

Pump and Res are in the bottom compartment, along with the main HDD (IDE Drive ontop will be removed right after Vista Boot manager stops giving me the shits!!! :evil: )

Mouted the GFX cooler pointing to the front of the case, as it seemed to be easier to route to tubing that way. (Other GFX will be getting a Passive Heatsink cooler, most likely the Thermalright HR-03 as i thought that having both GFX in the loop would dump a little to much heat to be running the fans at low RPM's overnight.)

Just a picture of the Radiator (Fans are sucking the air through and out of the case.)

Decided to keep the original Antec Grill on the top 120mm, and place a grill over the cut 120mm fan.

And the case is back and running almost naked :( all that's left to do is some wire management, and slap the pannels back on!
Are you using Tygon?

Brendan
Last edited by cyberspyder on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Only 2 comments:
1. Nice job!
2. Either find some black screws or get the magic marker out for the two on top that are visible :P

teh_robbie

Post by teh_robbie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 pm

cyberspyder wrote: Are you using Tygon?

Brendan
Nah man, Clearfex 60, Tygon is like $20+ a meter, way to expensive when clearflex does the same thing lol.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:02 am

cyberspyder, those who only have dial-up internet connections would probably be very grateful if you removed the unnecessary pics in your quote.....

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:38 pm

peteamer wrote:cyberspyder, those who only have dial-up internet connections would probably be very grateful if you removed the unnecessary pics in your quote.....
sry, fixed post.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Thinking about putting a MD20Z in a P180.... :twisted: One serious issue -- I won't place my pump above my psu or hard drives.

May refresh an old '04 prototype. Some early Revisions_______v-Rev. 4c-v
Image Image Image

Final revision at the time, Rev. 4c. Airflow, Intake: Front, Extake: Rear. Not sure if I'll be able to fit it in bottom of the P180. The case may simply be a bit too narrow and perhaps too shallow.

May only put the Iwaki downstairs and hang the heatercore off the back...but I'd like to make this a sleeper in more ways than just sound alone. :twisted:

---

P180 PSU Concept, quick image edit job:

DrCR