Blackbirds at 3am

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

J. Sparrow

Blackbirds at 3am

Post by J. Sparrow » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

can't believe it Image blackbirds singing outside and it's just 3am and no dawn planned until 6.50 am

AND they are louder than my TWO computers :shock: better go to sleep... Image

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:34 pm

You reminded me of a certain poem I had to read for my poetry class. No clue what it means. :P

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:13 am

I had that 3 weeks ago, I was so pissed of with them singing at 4AM (dawn @ about 6:30) and keeping me awake that I searched the net for mp3 recordings of the bird in question and concluded that it was probably a Robin, if it wasnt it was a Blackbird.

Fortunately for the bird in question it didnt sit in the bush outside my window and do it again otherwise it would have a .22 air rifle pellet in its chest :twisted: and I was so pissed of I wouldnt haved cared that it was illegal.

The damned magpies are going to die though...... that is legal :P

Andy

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:55 am

tempeteduson wrote:You reminded me of a certain poem I had to read for my poetry class. No clue what it means. :P
That's a cute weird poem. I have no clue about it, too, but it was fun to read :)

I wonder why the hell they sing when they can't see a thing... maybe there's too much light in our towns and cities?

blackbirds singing at early hours, they make me think about this song.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:48 am

Makes me think of the Beatles' "Blackbird" song

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly "

Maybe John Lennon wrote that one when he was kept up by a blackbird...

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:19 am

andyb wrote:I had that 3 weeks ago, I was so pissed of with them singing at 4AM (dawn @ about 6:30) and keeping me awake that I searched the net for mp3 recordings of the bird in question and concluded that it was probably a Robin, if it wasnt it was a Blackbird.

Fortunately for the bird in question it didnt sit in the bush outside my window and do it again otherwise it would have a .22 air rifle pellet in its chest :twisted: and I was so pissed of I wouldnt haved cared that it was illegal.

Andy
Haha :D.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:43 am

Here in California, in the valle,y we have yellow becked magpies. They are annoying as heck, but illegal to kill because the yellow becked birds can only found here. Oh well, crows on the other hand... :lol:

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:02 pm

andyb wrote:The damned magpies are going to die though...... that is legal :P

I guess the damned magpies aren't cute and fluffy enough to live.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:21 pm

I guess the damned magpies aren't cute and fluffy enough to live.
They certainly are not cute, and regardless of how they look they wake me up at silly-o-clock in the morning and I cant get back to sleep so they must die.

My air rifle was an impulse buy, and has so far helped me kill 3+ magpies.

According to UK law, I am allowed to kill fluffy things like "brown rats" and "grey squirrels" as well, but on the bird front there is a sellection of very popular birds, however the only ones that are going to die are the ones that wake me up at 5am. Strictly speaking if everyone did this then we would be forcing the hand of evolution, only the ones that dont make stupid loud noises at the crack of dawn live :twisted:

Strangely enough the bird that was added to the list a few years ago were "canadian geese", with the UK power limit at 12lb/foot the only way your going to kill one of those big buggers is straight through the eye and into the brain, but as both are minute thats a bit difficult so I would assume that you just have to club them to death with the rifle butt :shock:

Andy

regal196

Post by regal196 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:55 pm

For the goose, try a 12 gauge shotgun with a heavy base load, bb shot, or better yet a 10 gauge. :twisted:

BTW, what are the gun laws like over there in Britain? Are you even allowed to own a firearm?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Any guns capable of more than 2 shots without a re-load are illegal, so doubble barreled shotguns are the limit, concealable weapons are illegal - so no pistols etc.

Air rifles are legal to own and shoot with a minimum age limit of 18 and are restricted to .177 and .22 and at 12lb/foot, air pistols are also legal at 6lb/foot.

Shotgun licences and rifle licences are expensive and require a background check and a secure locked cupboard inspected by the police, they will also not give a licence to anyone who doesnt need the "weapon", so guns are usually only owned by farmers and anyone else who can prove a use to own one. Most gun clubs dont even allow the gun to be taken off of the premesis, this is often part of the shooters and the clubs licence.

In the UK they are classified "weapons" and not a sporting item, if you want to shoot a gun for fun/sport you need a licence, and often supervision (such as a 1-day clay pigeon shoot), you will also be restricted to what you shoot at, where you shoot, what you shoot with and who you shoot with.

The laws are very strict and restrictive, this cuts down on "impulse" shootings and accidents as there are less guns, however when it comes to crime guns are rife and getting more popular all of the time.

As far as air rifles like mine are concerned you dont even need to tell your local police station that its on the premesis, so from that point of view the gun laws are lax, especcialy as 2-3 kids in the UK last year died as a result of air rifles - they were accidents.

Andy

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:46 am

andyb wrote:Strangely enough the bird that was added to the list a few years ago were "canadian geese", with the UK power limit at 12lb/foot the only way your going to kill one of those big buggers is straight through the eye and into the brain, but as both are minute thats a bit difficult so I would assume that you just have to club them to death with the rifle butt
<shivers> I love geese! :evil:

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 am

Speaking of not being fluffy enough... Cyanopica Cyana, Azure-winged Magpie:

nici

Post by nici » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:51 pm

That's pretty pretty. I only have a gas powered blowback airsoft gun, a Colt Govenrment 1911A1. 92m/s. I doubt i could kill any birds with it. Most likely they would just be pissed and poo in my eyes.

I don't kill animals though, except for the occasional bug. When i was a kid some friends liked to throw darts at hedgehogs. Obviously very illegal and very much not nice. Later they became junkies more or less. I just gave the hedgehogs some godfood. No wait, dogfood. Hedgehod babies are cute, but the mothers are quite furious. and cute.

im going to have some bread now. and then more peppermint liqueur.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:15 pm

Ok ok I love birds even blackbirds singing at 3am do not make me angry!

now you can shoot me too or rather give me a shot of that peppermint liquor!

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Attractive animals, birds included are likely to survive around me (very very very likely) unless they wake me up.... then I dont get my sleep.... then I am angry.... then things start dying.... maggpies generally - mostly because they dont shut up at all, they are not frightened of anything and they are very aggressive towards other birds, and they piss me off at dawn and keep me awake, and cause me to loose 3-hours sleep in summer, therefore I will kill them - all of them if I can, every single one.

Crows only piss me off when they fight with magpies, but guess who starts it, that would explain why I have not shot at a crow - ever, the other day on my way to work I saw 5-8 magpies attack a "collared dove" sat on a tree, they then chased it into a garden and then a corner and pecked it to death, I cant say that I have ever heard a bird scram and cry until then (I can only assume that it died judging from the noise)

Magpies must die (along with feral/town pigeons but they dont live within my sight.) :twisted:

Andy

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:53 pm

lol who would of thought a topic about birds singing at 3 am would have kept going...

i have trouble falling asleep but once i am sleeping nothing wakes me up... even smoke alarms.... but if theyre where brids singing at 3 when i was going to bed then its fair game.... o owne 3 pellet rifles 1 blow gun and a 22. cops would be called if i started using the 22. at 3am but the semi-auto air rifles no one can really hear so .... EVERY THING DIES!!!.. even that little mouse running across the yard

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm

The fucking magpies have it coming.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:45 pm

PopCorn wrote:lol who would of thought a topic about birds singing at 3 am would have kept going...

i have trouble falling asleep but once i am sleeping nothing wakes me up... even smoke alarms.... but if theyre where brids singing at 3 when i was going to bed then its fair game.... o owne 3 pellet rifles 1 blow gun and a 22. cops would be called if i started using the 22. at 3am but the semi-auto air rifles no one can really hear so .... EVERY THING DIES!!!.. even that little mouse running across the yard

If you want to talk about guns, I'm down for it. I got a nice little .22, 12 gauge Mossberg 500 and a sweet little .30 Carbine. :twisted:

I was real big into firearms and hunting about 4 years ago...

That was before I discovered computer games, guitars and the art of silent computing/gaming. :twisted:

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:36 pm

J. Sparrow wrote:now you can shoot me too...
Heavens, no! Shoot a Sparrow? Uh uh, just magpies that make noise early in the black AM. You don't make noise then, do you? :evil:

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:54 am

Java Sparrows are being shot all over the world every day for their habit of eating rice and cereals :( I'll be shot for eating corn flakes while reading SPCR, sooner or later, it's just a matter of time!

regal196

Post by regal196 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I uses to hunt, but I haven't had the time. But I didn't hunt just to kill things. It was an time get out. I ate everything I shot. It is wasteful and disrespectful otherwise...

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:39 pm

J. Sparrow wrote:Speaking of not being fluffy enough... Cyanopica Cyana, Azure-winged Magpie:

Thats not a magpie, this is a magpie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Magpie

The big one
Last edited by dragmor on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:30 pm

This is the kind of magpies we have here in Sacramento

Sorry about the size of the picture :oops:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:00 pm

This is what they look like over my way.

:twisted:

Unfortunately they are clever bastards and dont come anywher near my house, I cant even hit them on other peoples roofs due to he total lack of power = bullet drop.

A couple of the arseholes might be nesting at the end of my garden, if they are, I will wait until I can hear the chicks and then kill the parents, then I will shoot the shit out of the nest....... anyone thinks thats evil, try being woken up 3-hours early every morning for 3-months you will change your mind about my wiping out 2 generations without any threat of heaven :twisted:

Andy

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:16 pm

First time I heard a Sparrow complaining about blackbirds :wink:

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:03 am

I was not complaining, only a bit surprised by the sheer number of blackbirds singing so loud at an early hour.

This is the way I like to see remembered a dead magpie:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76057363@N00/107171408/

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:40 am

andyb wrote:I had that 3 weeks ago, I was so pissed of with them singing at 4AM (dawn @ about 6:30) and keeping me awake that I searched the net for mp3 recordings of the bird in question and concluded that it was probably a Robin, if it wasnt it was a Blackbird.

Andy
I don't own .22 but magpie's of this region have learned to take long detour this particular area from around 200 feet range, eversince I got my Tokyo Marui H&K G3 few years back, which accurized barrel, heavy tactical grade pellets and 140% sping. 70 pellets per clip and I have 5 clips... Magpies, make my day... I am ready :twisted:

That same has appareantly happened 3 other houses around this town, where together lives 4 air soft practisers and who got together 5 gas block back side arms and 9 rifles, all using heavier than regular, "tactical pellets" Except one that is using extremely heavy sniper grade with his Tokyo Marui M-14.

Poor magpies.... not :twisted:

nici

Post by nici » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:58 pm

I just need to go outside and all the birds and small children run for cover screaming for mercy, begging me not to eat their souls. Then i stare them to death with my dark brown eyes and Tom Cruise usually shows up with his space-hearse, taking the charred corpses of small children and pretty birds to Wonderland.Then i enjoy a glass of freshly squished raspberry juice.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:05 pm

nici wrote:I just need to go outside and all the birds and small children run for cover screaming for mercy, begging me not to eat their souls. Then i stare them to death with my dark brown eyes and Tom Cruise usually shows up with his space-hearse, taking the charred corpses of small children and pretty birds to Wonderland.Then i enjoy a glass of freshly squished raspberry juice.
wow, a bit morbid... lol

thejamppa i like your "silence secure" it's beautiful!