Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zoidy

Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Fan

Post by zoidy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:00 am

Anyone had any experiance with this fan?

I'm thinking of modding my GameXStream - not whisper quiet :? Power supply with one of these.

I know there are fans out there that are tried and tested but SCAN computers here in the UK of which I have an account have these on the shelf and the write up looks good.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

SockToy

Post by SockToy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:00 am

I'm using the S-FLEX's, but I have little to compare them to other than the Antec Tri-Cools. They are definitely quiet, but I wouldn't go as far as to say silent, not even the 800rpm ones.

The noise they give off is very constant though, which is good - more the noise of moving airflow than anything with a high/low warble.

zoidy

Post by zoidy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:05 am

thanks for this...

At £12 I'll buy one and try it out

flokel

Post by flokel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:27 am

my two 1200 U/min s-flex fans are inaudible at around 600 U/min,
spinning faster the fans get relatively loud

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:28 am

The S-Flex series has been reviewed by SPCR here.

My experience with the S-Flex is so good, that I'll probably buy another couple. It's noisy at full speed but this is no problem as most of the time I run it undervolted. If you're not willing to do cabling tricks or buy a fan controller, you can go for low speed (D) or medium speed (E) versions.

The other 120mm fans I've tried are: the Aerocool Turbine, Cooler Master PL12SL and the infamous Antec TriCool; as far as I can tell, the S-Flex has a far better airflow/noise profile than all those.

The Noctua is supposed to move even more air than the S-Flex but listening to the sound recordings, it seems rougher than the Scythe. They are both expensive fans, the Noctua costs even more but comes with rubber screws.

zoidy

Post by zoidy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:38 am

Excellent advise
Thanks to all

zoidy

Post by zoidy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:34 am

I contacted OCZ and told them that I was disappointed with th PSU that I bought (OCZ 700 Watt Game X Stream ) as its advertised as whisper quiet - its not.

I asked them if I could exchange the fan without voiding the warranty?

They said yes after I explained I'm an electrical engineer if I take full Health and Safety resposibility.

So I put this fan in and... BLISS :lol:

It handles the PSU VERY nicely and is now indeed whisper quiet.

I informed OCZ of the result and they are sending me a brand new on to the market this month the latest 1010W PSU as part of the warranty problem resolution and my results and comments are to be passed onto their R&D department for review.

Thanks for the advise on using this fan.
My Rig, based in my bedroom is now Very, VERY quiet - my wife asked me the other night if it was off when it was actually on downloading - that was the final test. RESULT

ZOID

DonQ

Re: Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Fan

Post by DonQ » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:25 am

zoidy wrote:Anyone had any experiance with this fan?

I'm thinking of modding my GameXStream - not whisper quiet :? Power supply with one of these.

I know there are fans out there that are tried and tested but SCAN computers here in the UK of which I have an account have these on the shelf and the write up looks good.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks
I've experimented with Yate Loon D12SL, Nexus D12SL, Noctua 1200, Global Win NCB, Sharkoon golf ball 800RPM, and S-Flex E. My fave is the S-Flex and the Yate Loon. The Nexus, Global Win and Sharkoon did not push enough air for my needs but are very quiet. The Noctua is my least favorite, the sound is terrible at anything but very slow speeds. The S-Flex is controlled very smoothly by my motherboard's CPU controller so it's my favorite!

I'm thinking of swapping the fan in a Corsair 520HX with a S-Flex E fan, pending feedback from SPCR...

miztahsparklez

Post by miztahsparklez » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:38 am

arent the yate loons and nexus the same fans?

anyhow. im having a hard time trying to justify the triple amount price tag for 1 scythe fan vs a yate loon. :roll:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:49 am

arent the yate loons and nexus the same fans?
same model but different top speed. YL=1350rpm Nexus=1000rpm
im having a hard time trying to justify the triple amount price tag for 1 scythe fan vs a yate loon.
Get the Yate Loon. Unless you've got a totally silent system you won't be able to tell the difference.