Finally got pics! Custom wood case!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

regal196

Finally got pics! Custom wood case!

Post by regal196 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:21 pm

My computer as followed:

Mobo: MSI K9A Platinum
CPU: AM2 3800+ X2 with Ninja (120mm Yate Loon, 5 volts)
RAM: 1 gb of generic DDR2- 800
GPU: Sapphire X1900GT with HR-03 (over card mounting)
PSU: Seasonic S12 550 EE
HD: Seagate 160gb (think it is 7900.10, not sure though)
Other: 140mm Yate Loon (5 volt), MSI wireless card, Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse, Memorex external DVD burner.

I apologize in advance for the inconvience this may cause some, but I use thumbnails. The original pictures are very large, and I did not have the time to resize them.

Forewarning, my craftsmanship got sloppy, I was rushed.

Here are the pictures of my system:

The concept drawing:

The finished case, closed:

And another one:

Other side:

Top view:

Inside:

This is a prototype. I have two flaws in my design that I had not seen in my drawings, 1) The motherboard is too close to the top of the case, making it cramped to plug in devices, especially USB, 2) the hard drive does not have enough air flow (originally I was going to have a fan there, but I did not buy one that was suitable.

The final produce will be made of ABS, the I/O port will be flush mount to the top of case, there will be a better HD suspension setup (room for 4 HDs or 2 HDs in Scythe HD isolator box), a roof mounted PSU (opposed to the bottom mounted), a 120mm intake instead of a 140mm (there is a better selection of 120mm fans), and 2 5.25 bays in front.

Any comments, criticisms and suggestion are more than welcomed.

-Pennell
Last edited by regal196 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm not one to make suggestions, but I compliment your ambitious design! I do have a request for your idle/load temps with that passive HR-03 on the x1900gt.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:14 pm

according to ATi Tool it idle at 42c, I have not put much load other than testing overclocking the core, it got to 72c before I stopped it.

Oh there was the time when my fans stopped running...
It got up to 63c, then i realized that the fans had stopped.

I played DoD 1.6 for about 1 hour, it never went above 45c. (it isn't really that graphics intensive anyways)

The HR-03 gets some air flow from the 120mm in the Ninja.

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:13 pm

the craftsmanship isn't bad at all, at least on my standards :wink: idea to get the mobo connections to the side is nice...

what was the reason to put the PSU on the bottom? and how did u suspend that HDD like that..? there's a piece of tape on it? :wink: how much does it move around like that when it's running?

would also be nice to see some pics from the left/back side of the case (the side the PSU is on) and from the bottom as well. how loud is the system?

and where is your CD/DVD drive??

regal196

Post by regal196 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:14 pm

what was the reason to put the PSU on the bottom?
The PSU is on the bottom for three reasons: 1) it does not draw up any hot air; therefore the fan does not have to ramp up. 2) it was much easier to mount it on the bottom, i don't have to worry about suspending it, 3) the 24-pin power connector would have a long stretch to make to the power point.
and how did u suspend that HDD like that..?
The HD is supended by length of elastic that is threaded through the upper most mounting holes. that piece of elastic is around a shoe string that is stretch across the with of the case.
there's a piece of tape on it?
The tape is to make sure the elastic does not move around too much, just a security thing
how much does it move around like that when it's running?
It does not move around at all, it is very secure.

I believe this is the picture you want:

the system is quite quiet, compared to the laptop i have, it is a bit noise, but it good enough, it is a low tone noise which is sort of pleasant.

I am kind of dissapointed with the PSU, it is the loudest component of the computer.
and where is your CD/DVD drive??
Oh that thing, I have an external one, i don't use an optical drive enough to have built it into the computer. I use the optical drive about once every two weeks.

If there are any other questions, about anything, i am more than willing to answer them

Hope this info was what you wanted

-Pennell

regal196

Update

Post by regal196 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:25 pm

I have neglected to install a fan to cool the HD, and it is showing. According to speed fan the temps have gotten high enough to be bad i.e. 43C. So I will be adding a fan to cool the HD. I will post pics when it (the case) has been modified.

A sidenote: I will be building a production prototype (foamboard) this next week. I will post it in the Cases and Damping section.

-Pennell

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 am

Hi, I had a Seasonic S12 PSU and I was also disappointed by it. I think was an older version with fan speed monitoring. It never seamed to ramp up always ran 780-820rpm but made noticeable noise, I think as the quality was quite rumbly / grumbly rather than loud. Maybe I had bad sample, the Neo HE 430 I have now is definitely better.
Looks like a nice project, like many I'd like to have the will and skill to make a custom case but settle for light customising. Good luck and keep up the good work.
Regards, Seb

username5

Re: Finally got pics! Custom wood case!

Post by username5 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:55 pm

regal196 wrote: Other: 140mm Yate Loon (5 volt), MSI wireless card, Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse, Memorex external DVD burner.
Hey Pennell,

What did you think of the memorex external DVD burner? Did it work well for general purposes, and hold up fairly long (if not still working)?

regal196

Post by regal196 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:39 pm

The drive is holding up just fine. It does what I want it to. I used the drive to build my music collection, play DVDs and load and play Battlefield 2. I did try to boot it as a primary drive (for Linux) but it would not boot like an ide drive, that may be due to not having bios set up correctly.

I do not use the drive very much anymore, but it considerably more quiet than internal CD/DVD drive I had used in the past.

Just wondering, how did you come across this thread?

rhys j

Post by rhys j » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:44 am

Nice bump - cool wooden system... almost inspired to build my own!

peterex09

Post by peterex09 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:45 pm

I really envy your case since I dont have time to designa and myself a wooden case. Maybe I'll just make one when I get a leave. just to relax and reward myself for getting a new display.