Seeking a Fanless / Hybrid PSU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Seeking a Fanless / Hybrid PSU

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:30 am

So far my only real noise source of system is now my PSU. So, I will now seek passive semi-passive PSU. I got decent air flow in my case and specs are on my siganture. From here I can get these PSU's from one retailer:

Antec Phantom 500W is 149,90 €
SilverStone ST30NF Nightjar 300W is 139,90 €

I am not sure if Silverstone is compatible with my motherboard, since I need 24pin + P4 connector.

Another retailer has ElanVital Semi-Passive around 153 €'s...

Any suggestion or recomendations.

where?wolf

Re: Seeking a Fanless / Hybrid PSU

Post by where?wolf » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:57 am

thejamppa wrote:So far my only real noise source of system is now my PSU. So, I will now seek passive semi-passive PSU. I got decent air flow in my case and specs are on my siganture. From here I can get these PSU's from one retailer:

Antec Phantom 500W is 149,90 €
SilverStone ST30NF Nightjar 300W is 139,90 €

I am not sure if Silverstone is compatible with my motherboard, since I need 24pin + P4 connector.

Another retailer has ElanVital Semi-Passive around 153 €'s...

Any suggestion or recomendations.
The Silverstone is a good one. But I belive 300W is on the weak side.
So maybe the Phantom is the better choise. Especially, as the difference in price is'nt that big.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:21 am

Since 10€ is not that much on the side... And difference is not that much, although Antec is bigger and heavier, I should sitll have no problem mounting that on my Antec SLK3000B, it does provide fan backup and 200 W extra juice.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:32 am

And those extra watts, can be very handy, when getting a power thirsty Direct X10 videocard, in the future for ex.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 am

I belive 300W is on the weak side.
300W is more than enough for the parts in his sig. If plan to upgrade to DX10, fanless PSU is not a good idea. The fan on the Phantom is terrible, and if DX10 will come on fairly often.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 am

Well, one of my friends suggested that my PSU might run now louder, due its top of HSF and might get rounds up due heat

Since there is now black Antec P180B on Sale ( 120 €'s ) I might get P180B instead. If I will have problems with PSU's loud fan... Well... then I look into matter. But this is good reason finally upgrade my old beaten and worn out SLK3000B.

If PSU keeps being problem in new case, then its Antec Neo HE 430W, Some recomended Seasonic Models or Silverstone passive. Since if I go Direct X10, I will go that on my gaming rig, not my 24/7 computer, Which is my main obsession for silencing.

Running 24/7 and gaming rigs give you easier time to make really silent computer on 24/7 use and decently quiet for gaming matches.

Thanks for help peoples. I apprciated help ^^