2000W external PSU spotted

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

2000W external PSU spotted

Post by Tzupy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:17 am

It has a large fan (maybe another one in the back?), looks like 200 mm to me:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?s ... bg.jpg&1=1

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:39 am

Why would anyone ever need to have this?

Kremmit

Post by Kremmit » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:53 pm

Shukuteki wrote:Why would anyone ever need to have this?
So you can use the 12volt rail to power an AC inverter, to plug your CRT into. :twisted:

kater

Post by kater » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:09 am

To power the Death Star. [wheeez-ghrummmm-wheeeeez-ghrummm]

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 am

kater wrote:To power the Death Star. [wheeez-ghrummmm-wheeeeez-ghrummm]
Haha. Brilliant. No but seriously folks... it's not really sensible to have one of these. Don't we all want to move towards lower power?

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:55 am

Nick Geraedts wrote:No but seriously folks... it's not really sensible to have one of these. Don't we all want to move towards lower power?
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
-Robert Heinlein

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
-Bertrand Russell

And my own version: If you think rock bottom has been reached there's always someone willing to start digging deeper.

kater

Post by kater » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Anything over 700W is pure marketing. It's just like +2L engines. Why would you need, say, 5L V8, or any bigblock? Only reason I see is for such engines to go with cars like Chargers and police Crown Vic's so we can watch some good chases. Remember Bullit?
No, seriously, if you don't know what's it all about, then it's about moolah.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 pm

OMG OMG, I just found a 200MW external power supply!!!

:D
Last edited by pipperoni on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:13 pm

katar wrote:Anything over 700W is pure marketing
SERIOUSLY. 700W will sufficiently power 95% of all computers in any house. This is a complete waste. Just cuz it possible doesn't mean it's practical.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:22 am

angelkiller wrote:
katar wrote:Anything over 700W is pure marketing
SERIOUSLY. 700W will sufficiently power 95% of all computers in any house. This is a complete waste. Just cuz it possible doesn't mean it's practical.
500w will sufficiently power 100% of all "PC's" in any household.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:10 pm

kater wrote:Anything over 700W is pure marketing. It's just like +2L engines. Why would you need, say, 5L V8, or any bigblock? Only reason I see is for such engines to go with cars like Chargers and police Crown Vic's so we can watch some good chases. Remember Bullit?
At least I get to use the extra power in my 4.2L 340 hp V8 when I am climbing a hill, passing someone, or just having fun at the track. Big PC power supplies never put out more power than the computer asks for so it really just sits there for no gain.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:28 pm

kater wrote:Anything over 700W is pure marketing. It's just like +2L engines. Why would you need, say, 5L V8, or any bigblock? Only reason I see is for such engines to go with cars like Chargers and police Crown Vic's so we can watch some good chases. Remember Bullit?
That is really a terrible argument. Engines with more than 2l of displacement or more than 4 cylinders are made for one thing: torque. You will never be able to reliably get as much torque out of a 4 cylinder engine as you would a V6 or a V8 (or a I6 or I8 or any other large engine.) Engines with more than 4 cylinders also have much better balancing.

But yeah, no one needs a 2000w external power supply.

Alec Ross

Post by Alec Ross » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 pm

If they include the proper cabling, you could run 6 or 7 SPCR computers from one of these. Think of that... one PSU fan for 5 machines! This is a great day for silencing!

kater

Post by kater » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:55 pm

Shukuteki
My point was - why would you use a '68 Cuda with heaps of gorgeous torque and brute force and hundreds of HP to commute, while a '99 Civic 1.4 will take you there as reliably and as quickly, and for much less. The puny torque of a tiny Japanese hi-rev engine is fine as long as its takes me places. Having something that'll not be used (extra watts or extra torque) is pointless. I'm looking at PSU's as means of providing enough juice. And I'm looking at cars as means of transportation. Whether I can burn serious rubber at every lights is to me (at least now) not important. Sure, it's nice, boys love it, and God knows I like the sound of a blown hemi sooo much. But it's of no *use* to me. Now, if we were talking about drag racing - yeah, that's another point. But, AFAIK and IIRC, one of the fastest drag vehicles in the world is Nissan Skyline with a relatively small 3.sth L engine and a twin turbocharger the size of a bucket. I hope you get my point now. I agree that large engines are good and useful and needed, but only for limited purpose. In case of large PSU's it's even more pointless cause with a rig like yours or mine, no matter what you do, you'll not use all the watts.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:00 pm

kater wrote:Shukuteki
I agree that large engines are good and useful and needed, but only for limited purpose. In case of large PSU's it's even more pointless cause with a rig like yours or mine, no matter what you do, you'll not use all the watts.
Shukuteki already gave you examples where you get benefits from V6/V8 compared to I4 and such.
1. They are less noisy in general
2. At equal acceleration they will be significantly less noisy than I4
3. They are better balanced which means less vibrations being transmitted to the car and driver.
4. And they are just nicer to have, it's nice to have decent acceleration while staying below 2500RPM.

It's pointless to buy 1KW PSU because if your computer only requires only 200W, that's how much PSU will deliver, with cars you see benefits of a larger engines every time you drive your car in the form of lesser noise, vibrations and better pickup.

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:26 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:4. And they are just nicer to have, it's nice to have decent acceleration while staying below 2500RPM.
And if you ever go for that Quad-core-quad-SLI setup, the 2000 watt PSU will be nice to have as well.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:03 pm

Severely off-topic now, but...
it's nice to have decent acceleration while staying below 2500RPM.
so get a (turbo)diesel. :wink:

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:17 pm

qviri wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote:4. And they are just nicer to have, it's nice to have decent acceleration while staying below 2500RPM.
And if you ever go for that Quad-core-quad-SLI setup, the 2000 watt PSU will be nice to have as well.
Still the same problem. With 2000W PSU you never gonna use that power until you upgrade your rig. With bigger engine you use that extra power every time you drive in the form of lower RPM, lower wear and tear on the engine and lower noise, faster acceleration for passing on the highway when you need it, etc etc... That extra engine power does get used unlike 1700W in a 2000W PSU.

kater

Post by kater » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:05 pm

OK, so I either didn't make myself as clear as I wanted or the message is lost somewhere.
I know and understand* the benefist of large engines. I'm just saying the ones you gave are not important to me. The differences are simply lost on me. I care about computer noise and several other things, but - honestly - I don't care if I get to work 3 minutes faster, or I overtake someone with a little more comfort etc. It's just not important in my everyday life and I'd rather pay for other things which are simply more important to me.

* Believe it or not, I have an old, ex-police Crown Vic and I used to drive it some time ago. It's now waiting for better times in a garage. And it needs overhaul.

Let's call it a day or move to off topic section or we'll get slapped silly.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:01 am

With bigger engine you use that extra power every time you drive in the form of lower RPM, lower wear and tear on the engine and lower noise, faster acceleration for passing on the highway when you need it, etc etc...
and more gas consumption...

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:49 am

Now we only need someone's commenting about muscle cars/penis length and utterly powerful PSUs/ePenis, and the thread will be perfect :lol:

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:21 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote: Shukuteki already gave you examples where you get benefits from V6/V8 compared to I4 and such.
1. They are less noisy in general
2. At equal acceleration they will be significantly less noisy than I4
3. They are better balanced which means less vibrations being transmitted to the car and driver.
4. And they are just nicer to have, it's nice to have decent acceleration while staying below 2500RPM.

It's pointless to buy 1KW PSU because if your computer only requires only 200W, that's how much PSU will deliver, with cars you see benefits of a larger engines every time you drive your car in the form of lesser noise, vibrations and better pickup.
"In general" needs to be applied to everything said in this post.

Eg the 2.0 litre V6 Mazda engines from about 5 years ago had SFA torque below 3000rpm and needed to be caned to keep up in normal traffic (they handed the revs just fine though), invalidating point 4 in this case

And the smoothest 6 cylinder engines made in normal production have been the inline BMW 2.0 litre engines which ran like turbines. Unfortunately, small displacement engines cost almost as much to make as larger engines of similar design so the cost made these cars less appealing than the 2.5-3.5 litre versions (which get progressively less smooth as they become larger, not that any of the BMW inline 6 cylinder engines is unrefined) as more perfomance was available for a small price increase.

Back to topic, I think we all agree this PSU is a total waste unless used to power multiple PCs as someone noted.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:23 pm

kater wrote:Shukuteki
My point was - why would you use a '68 Cuda with heaps of gorgeous torque and brute force and hundreds of HP to commute, while a '99 Civic 1.4 will take you there as reliably and as quickly, and for much less. The puny torque of a tiny Japanese hi-rev engine is fine as long as its takes me places. Having something that'll not be used (extra watts or extra torque) is pointless. I'm looking at PSU's as means of providing enough juice. And I'm looking at cars as means of transportation. Whether I can burn serious rubber at every lights is to me (at least now) not important. Sure, it's nice, boys love it, and God knows I like the sound of a blown hemi sooo much. But it's of no *use* to me. Now, if we were talking about drag racing - yeah, that's another point. But, AFAIK and IIRC, one of the fastest drag vehicles in the world is Nissan Skyline with a relatively small 3.sth L engine and a twin turbocharger the size of a bucket. I hope you get my point now. I agree that large engines are good and useful and needed, but only for limited purpose. In case of large PSU's it's even more pointless cause with a rig like yours or mine, no matter what you do, you'll not use all the watts.
I was goign to post about my Mini 1.6L supercharged rocket, but, not really a comparison to a cuda for all sorts of style reasons. A skyline? damn thats like one of the best cars ever. No america for youthough, Japanese hold it for their own. Fast freakin car :) I want a bugatti Veyron. 253 miles per hour. W-8 (16 cylinder) engine, quad turbo's, 1.1 million dollars, 1001 horsepower (effective, no bs rating system used)

I cannot think of a use for a 2000 watt psu though. quad r600 crossfire first edition (built on crappy 90nm tech) will have about 180 watts a piece on load. That is 720 watts for quad crossfire. add two quadcore barcelona's for 230 watts (guesstimate on load)... that exceeds a 1000 watt psu!

take into consideration that 80% at 1000 watts is really hard to maintain with all the heat evolving at that draw, you would need a 1500 watt psu to be safe in such an environment. Personally, if I had that setup, I would get 3 corsair 620's and just use 2 of them for the vid cards and the rest for the cpu/board.

mantralord

Post by mantralord » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:15 am

Can we stop with the stupid car analogies? The truth is that nobody in the world needs more than a good 500W power supply for their PCs.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:36 pm

I wonder if any of the people who buy this know that most household circuit breakers will trip if you actually manage to use that much power... :roll:

kaange

Post by kaange » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:26 am

How about this PSU?

It is supposed to power up to 6 PCs but why???

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:38 am

note the date of the review.

also:
I was curious about how the XMT 300 PC and/or power distribution module produced the +5VSB output. At first, it appeared as though the standard +5VSB circuit normally found in all ATX power supplies (required for turning on the PC among other things), was simply replaced with a special battery. After further investigation, I learned there is a little more to it than that – in fact, a lot more… :) It turns out the battery is actually a small flux capacitor mounted between two proprietary transducers that create a temporal distortion field that keeps the flux capacitor in a virtually charged state for up to six months.
:lol:

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:44 am

kaange wrote:How about this PSU?
:lol: That would be great for anyone who wants to case-mod an arc-welder into their computer.

mantralord

Post by mantralord » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:53 pm

kaange wrote:How about this PSU?

It is supposed to power up to 6 PCs but why???
UP TO six? That thing can likely provide power for well over 40 PCs.

Also: ahahaha april fools

kaange

Post by kaange » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:11 am

jaganath wrote:note the date of the review.
Yep, they got me good.

I was wondering about the flux capacitor bit (as an E Eng, this should have made me more sceptical but I did like Back to The Future).