Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E in SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN for P180b

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mike01Hawk

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E in SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN for P180b

Post by Mike01Hawk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:22 am

This is more a Case Quiet question I suppose.

Got my P180b built last night, and I'm still not satisfied.

I KNOW my rig in sig can be dead quiet cause every component is dead silent like I like it at Idle (heck, the CPU HSF doesn't even spin at idle :) ). I don't mind if it gets a bit louder when gaming, but I want a QUIET system @ Idle for Surfing.

Anyway, the PSU Chamber Tricool is very silent, no need to mod that.
The Back and Upper Tricools though make a whurring sound :(

I did the following:

1) Set Tricools to all LOW, no help
2) Disconnected the top fan, no help
3) Disconnected the top fan and blocked off the plate with a book, no help

Determined the back case fan was the culprite

4) Tried pushing against the back case fan to see if was vibrating against the case
5) Swapped it out with a 5 dBA quieter Scythe SFF21E. CASE NOISE WAS EVEN WORSE!!! lol!!! A very distinctive 'whuuurrr'

6) Out of the case by themselves, the Tricool seems quiet enough. But once in the case there's a distinctive hairdryer sound?

Now I'm picking my brains on WTF is wrong... and I'm like DURRR I had the case fans hooked up to Molex so they were getting 12v constant right?

Well I figure I'm still gonna keep the top fan unhooked, will take it out, maybe even fab up a block off plate (I need to search here to find what people have done)

Where should I plug in the Scythe (or the Tricool if it will work), SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN on my DS3 so it'll throttle down RPM to SILENCE at idle? :)

Oh btw, I'm getting ~25c (CORE TEMP) on my E4300 @ Idle using that Zalman. I'm thinking if I can't get rid of the 'whurrr' I'm gonna try my P180b without EITHER top/back fans plugged in. :twisted:

Thanks in advance.

amjedm

Re: Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E in SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN for P180b

Post by amjedm » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Mike01Hawk wrote: Where should I plug in the Scythe (or the Tricool if it will work), SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN on my DS3 so it'll throttle down RPM to SILENCE at idle? :)
If I'm not mistaken - the PWR_FAN header is for you to plug in the rpm monitoring fan connector for your PSU - that's if the psu ships with the wire.

IMO the SYS_FAN is the better option - plug it there.

Mike01Hawk

Post by Mike01Hawk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Well I DL'd the DS3 Manual:

PWR_FAN is a 3 pin: GND|+12v|NC (I don't know what NC stands for)
SYS_FAN is a 4 pin: GND|+12v/Speed Control|Sense|Speed Control

The Scythe is a 3 pin though.

Here's from the BIOS setup in the manual:

Smart FAN Control Method (Note)
1) Auto BIOS sets the optimal CPU fan speed automatically. (Default value)
2) Intel(R) QST Control the fan speed with Intel® QST (Intel® Quiet System Technology).
3) Legacy CPU fan runs at different speed depending on CPU temperature.
4) Disable CPU fan runs at full speed.

Smart FAN Control Mode
1)Auto BIOS autodetects the type of CPU fan you installed and sets the optimal fan
speed control mode for it. (Default value)
2)Voltage Set to Voltage when you use a CPU fan with a 3-pin fan power cable.
3)PWM Set to PWM when you use a CPU fan with a 4-pin fan power cable.

Note: In fact, the Voltage option can be used for CPU fans with 3-pin or 4-pin power cables.
However, some 4-pin CPU fan power cables are not designed following Intel 4-Wire fans PWM
control specifications. With such CPU fans, selecting PWM will not effectively reduce the fan
speed.

Can't remember if the Zalman 9500AT is a 3 or 4 pin. What's the quietest method/mode? I'd like for them to throttle up/down when needed.

Mike01Hawk

Post by Mike01Hawk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Well, I:

1) Took out the top fan all together
2) Cut out the grill on the back
3) Hooked up the Scythe to the SYS_FAN
4) Set Smart Fan Method/Mode to Auto/Auto

The Scythe now idles ~530-550rpm... system is now MUCH QUIETER!!! :) :) :)

I think I can live with it now the way it is.

Well, now when I throw own WoW the 7900gs screams to life... so I need to look into either that HR-03 Passive, or a Zalman.

phartknokr

Post by phartknokr » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 pm

I found that cutting the grills out of my p180 did change the amount and nature of the noise it made.

Removing the top fan helped my rig too. Since I have a 680i board with an annoying chipset fan that blows underneath my ninja toward the top of the case I laid an old mouse pad on the top of the top fan guard. That leaves an exhaust path to the rear for the chipset fan while blocking most of the sound that would otherwise come out the top.

el_

Post by el_ » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:31 pm

how are your temps under load? I'm having the same problem with my system I can run my e6600 at 3.2ghz with low noise but now I'm running a 12cmx38mm panaflo at 5volts to keep the cpu and mobo cool.

I think I still need to cut my grills out! should I add a wire grill cover or risk my fingers?

phartknokr

Post by phartknokr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:05 pm

Had to RMA my (POS) mobo. While it's apart I'm going to dremel some more access holes for cables to clean it up. While I'm at it I'm going to add a grill to the back fan. It sits under a desk and sometimes to make sure the exhaust fan is running I reach around in the dark....stuck my fingers in it a couple times now...good thing it is running at low rpms.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 am

el_ wrote:
I think I still need to cut my grills out! should I add a wire grill cover or risk my fingers?
Any pets or children about or are you likely to stick your fingers in the fan?