Recommendation for, um, silent WinXP RAR app

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Recommendation for, um, silent WinXP RAR app

Post by Ryan Norton » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a better place to put this question than here so anyway...

I hate WinRAR. It just pisses me off. Constant reminders about it not being shareware, what I consider to be UI clunkiness, etc. So I'd like a better app for unzipping RAR files. My ideal is the UnRarX built into Mac OSX on my Mac, but "UnRar for PC" or whatever it's called that I found is a 5-use trial version that you've gotta pay for. So any recommendations for a super-lightweight, very unobtrusive PC app that can unzip .rar's? Thanks!

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:19 pm

try rarzilla or 7-zip...

personally, i have no problems with WinRAR's interface since the common functions are integrated into the right-click menu. so i never really have to deal with the actual program GUI.

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:09 pm

If your ok with WinRAR and your only annoyed by the "buy me" message, then just buy WinRAR.

As for the interface I agree with mr. poopyhead, 90% of what you want from WinRAR is available in the right click menu from explorer.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:09 am

mr. poopyhead wrote:try rarzilla or 7-zip...

personally, i have no problems with WinRAR's interface since the common functions are integrated into the right-click menu. so i never really have to deal with the actual program GUI.
I second both points, and I'll add that WinRAR was giving away free keys to it's "not-must-current version" last year. You may be able to get a key from someone who never used theirs.

jbw

Re: Recommendation for, um, silent WinXP RAR app

Post by jbw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:58 am

Ryan Norton wrote:what I consider to be UI clunkiness
I'm curious: what about its UI do you consider to be clunky? I ask because often when I have Winrar windows open, I'll start navigating around in them thinking that they're normal Windows folders--i.e., it seems so non-clunky that I mistake it for explorer.

legendarith

Post by legendarith » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:05 pm

Ryan, Winrar is an amazing app. Never double click on a file, always use your right mouse button and select the command from there on the file. Have a coke and a smile!

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:22 pm

mr. poopyhead wrote:try rarzilla or 7-zip...

I second the recommendation to use 7-Zip. It has the same shell integration as WinRAR does so you can decompress without the UI and it's freeware.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Sun May 06, 2007 4:51 am

I use 7-zip for everything. It's "lite", free, no ads, and x64-compatible, and has a better interface.