burn .avi files to dvd for dvd player?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

burn .avi files to dvd for dvd player?

Post by klankymen » Thu May 24, 2007 2:35 pm

So, I have a fair amount of .avi files, unavailable to me in any other format (they are TV recordings, so no reripping the DVD :( ).

What I want to do with them is burn them in a format that my (well actually my girlfriend's) DVD player can understand.

I know I could convert them all to SVCD and burn cds, but that would total out as 23 CDs (figuring 1 per cd).

Is there anyway to convert them to SVCD format, but put on a DVD maybe? so more would fit on, and only have to make like 4 DVDs.

Worst case scenario, I just hook my comp up to her TV when she wants to watch, but I'd rather avoid this.

Is there any simple solution to this? (sure buying a 25cd cake would work, but I'd rather avoid that amount of loose media in this day and age of enormous storage media)

paramthegreat

sure you can ...

Post by paramthegreat » Thu May 24, 2007 3:14 pm

yes you can convert all of them to svcd and still burn them into dvd. i do not know what ripping software you use, coming for linux land; i use mencoder.

but you can create mpeg-2 videos which are single mpg files, burn them onto a dvd and any dvd player should be able to use them. i have a number of movies i use same way.

DonP

Post by DonP » Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 pm

If they're TV recordings then the chances are it's DiVX/Xvid, is it?
More and more DVD players are capable of playing Divx/Xvid files without re-conversion.
..and I'm not talking about some cheapo brands which want a differentiator and are aiming for a niche market - even brands like Pioneer can play DiVX/Xvid.

Then just throw all your AVIs onto a DVD (probably ISO format, not UDF) and that should work.

Do a google search for a manual for the DVD player to find out more.

I did the same thing and found my girlfriend's Pioneer DV-380 and found out that it plays Divxs no problem. There are rules on that site on how to burn the file to maximise playability (but I've never had problems burning stuff for her).

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu May 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Get her a new DVD player that plays XVID & DVIX. It's so much more convenient.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Thu May 24, 2007 4:51 pm

I agree with Amourek. Purchase a Divx Ultra compatible DVD player. Here in the USA a Philips DVP 5140 is available from Walmart for less than $50. This Philips unit also plays DVD MP3's allowing a huge playlist of songs to be randomly played. AVI's (or MP3's) can simply be burned to DVD-R's as data files.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 am

I have done some conversions from avi to dvd. If you want a great quality it costs an awful lot of cpu time and effort to burn. A new dvd player is really the way to go. My sister has a philips dvd player and that really plays all those things really well.

z4

Post by z4 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:36 am

Amourek wrote:Get her a new DVD player that plays XVID & DVIX. It's so much more convenient.
agreed .