Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Same old Solo (With pretty pictures)

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 am

Welcome one and all to the latest revition of my “Quietâ€

jbw

Re: Same old Solo (With pretty pictures)

Post by jbw » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:15 am

Fat_bloater_dave wrote:My Desk
Oh oh I love this game! Let's see...

1. The lamp is under the desk
2. The keyboard is on the chair
3. There are birthday candles but no cake

I can only find three.

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:40 am

Ever heard of dots after each sentence? Your grammar placed dots only after alinea's

LOL

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Same old Solo (With pretty pictures)

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:58 am

jbw wrote:My Desk
Oh oh I love this game! Let's see...

1. The lamp is under the desk
2. The keyboard is on the chair
3. There are birthday candles but no cake

I can only find three.
What is this game then, not sure if i understand the rules.
Last edited by Fat_bloater_dave on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:03 am

s_xero wrote:Ever heard of dots after each sentence? Your grammar placed dots only after alinea's

LOL
Firstly i glad my Grammar Amuses you. Secondly what are "alinea's"

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:26 pm

Don't mind the cheap humor. :?

As for the purpose of your post, your build looks nice and tidy. Wasn't the cable management a dream in that case?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:53 pm

sun.moon wrote:Don't mind the cheap humor. :?

As for the purpose of your post, your build looks nice and tidy. Wasn't the cable management a dream in that case?
Ah yes it was, also made better buy getting a SATA DVD Writer so i only need 1 IDE cable in the case, just have to replace that last Laptop drive and it will be all SATA.

Thanks for the on topic reply ;)

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:13 pm

pizza value?!?!

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:50 pm

jaldridge6 wrote:pizza value?!?!
It has smaller red writeing saying Great Pizza Great value
they do good pizza

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:35 am

sorry i only said that to be off topic =P

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:33 am

Fat_bloater_dave wrote:
s_xero wrote:Ever heard of dots after each sentence? Your grammar placed dots only after alinea's

LOL
Alinea is the Dutch word for paragraph. I find it entertaining that he's taking the time to correct your grammar, but doesn't find it necessary to express his thoughts properly in English. He fills in his vocabulary void with words from other languages. :D

Dave, I don't understand how you can be obsessed with having a quiet computer when you clearly have more pressing matters to attend to. Your desk layout is ridiculous. What is your lamp shining on? Your feet? All it does is highlight the cable clutter under your undersized desk.

Unless you're a hobbit with a chronic back injury, how does having your keyboard on a stool make any sense?

It honestly looks like the worst work enviroment I've ever seen. You have no room under your desk, or on your desk, and your lighting is being provided by a desklamp pointed in an arbitrary direction. :D

You can clearly afford it, so spend some money on a proper desk.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Moogles wrote:
Fat_bloater_dave wrote:

LOL
Alinea is the Dutch word for paragraph. I find it entertaining that he's taking the time to correct your grammar, but doesn't find it necessary to express his thoughts properly in English. He fills in his vocabulary void with words from other languages. :D

Dave, I don't understand how you can be obsessed with having a quiet computer when you clearly have more pressing matters to attend to. Your desk layout is ridiculous. What is your lamp shining on? Your feet? All it does is highlight the cable clutter under your undersized desk.

Unless you're a hobbit with a chronic back injury, how does having your keyboard on a stool make any sense?

It honestly looks like the worst work enviroment I've ever seen. You have no room under your desk, or on your desk, and your lighting is being provided by a desklamp pointed in an arbitrary direction. :D

You can clearly afford it, so spend some money on a proper desk.
Ah I see Dutch, that’s why I didn’t understand.

now to explain my room, My lamp is only used for when I’m fiddling inside my computer we had a spare lamp and I thought I might as well use it my ceiling light gives enough light for my room.

Secondly I’m not bothered about the cable clutter under my desk doesn’t affect me why fix it. There is plenty of room on my desk I can put a cup on it next to my monitor and I can put things I don’t need to grab quickly behind it.

Lastly what looks like a stool with my keyboard on it I actually use as a foot rest I have an arm chair I sit in to use my computer and my keyboard goes on my lap and trackball on the arm of the chair, you might say that this is a bad set up but I have been using it for a couple of years now and haven’t had any problems.
Image Image
So what looks like a bad setup is actually the peaceful bliss.

VanWaGuy

Fan orientation

Post by VanWaGuy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:38 pm

What direction is the air moving from each of the three fans that are right next to each other? If the Nexus on back is blowing out, and the powersupply is also exhaust, then it looks like the fan on the heatsink is trying to fight those two fans, and might get more air flow if it were turned over. (If the air is blowing from the label side to the back side like the one on the back.)

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Fan orientation

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

VanWaGuy wrote:What direction is the air moving from each of the three fans that are right next to each other? If the Nexus on back is blowing out, and the powersupply is also exhaust, then it looks like the fan on the heatsink is trying to fight those two fans, and might get more air flow if it were turned over. (If the air is blowing from the label side to the back side like the one on the back.)
you might well be right, and i shall try that out one day but right now the only diffrence i would see would be maby a 1-2oC drop in temp, i think ill leave it for now.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Dave, the armchair was the missing piece of the puzzle. Your setup makes a lot more sense now. :)

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm

that's a tidy setup - pretty much what I'd plan for myself if I had the money to upgrade. I like the arm chair too, must be comfy, though knowing me that 2nd monitor would be knocked off the desk pretty quickly.

I have a similar fan setup (though the HS has fresh air from a duct on the side of the case) and all the fans are set so low that there isn't really any conflicting airflows - all YL SLs set to minimum starting volts. I can even run my undervolted Sempron 2400+ (the POWER!) passively, but the HS fan doesn't add anything to the noise floor so I leave it on.

Have you undervolted your CPU? Any ideas on power draw? I'm interested in the HDD set up - do you use the 2.5in for the system drive and spin down the 3.5in internal drive? It's a setup I'm really interested in for my next future/ dream build.

Gunzee

Post by Gunzee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:16 pm

Does your computer get dusty? Vaccum your room? Just kidding. The setup look pretty good. Where do you put your mouse?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:21 pm

mattthemuppet wrote:that's a tidy setup - pretty much what I'd plan for myself if I had the money to upgrade. I like the arm chair too, must be comfy, though knowing me that 2nd monitor would be knocked off the desk pretty quickly.

I have a similar fan setup (though the HS has fresh air from a duct on the side of the case) and all the fans are set so low that there isn't really any conflicting airflows - all YL SLs set to minimum starting volts. I can even run my undervolted Sempron 2400+ (the POWER!) passively, but the HS fan doesn't add anything to the noise floor so I leave it on.

Have you undervolted your CPU? Any ideas on power draw? I'm interested in the HDD set up - do you use the 2.5in for the system drive and spin down the 3.5in internal drive? It's a setup I'm really interested in for my next future/ dream build.
Heh that second monitor isn’t going anywhere its gaffa taped to the desk.

Yes my CPU is undervolted using the built in cool and quiet that the AMD Processors have so it runs at 1.1v most of the time going up to 1.37v on load, I can run my CPU passively at idle it usually stays under 40c but the same as you it doesn’t add any noise so I keep the fan on and I’m sorry but I have no idea what the power draw is.

I do use the 2.5â€

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:22 am

Dave, I'm glad people are getting back to the facts here. Good thing that things are in perspective again. I couldn't believe you had to justify the surroundings of your PC to those guys. :roll:

Again, nice build!

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:41 am

are those nexus fans running at 1000rpms?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:46 am

jaldridge6 wrote:are those nexus fans running at 1000rpms?
I did put in my writeup what speed the fans were running at.
fat_bloater_dave wrote:I can only read one fan speed unfortunately the CPU fan Spins at about 780 RPM below 35oC and 1035 RPM above 35oC, the reason I cant read the other fan speeds is because I have plugged the FanMate into a motherboard header but then I have plugged the Exhaust fan and Zalman Fan into the FanMate using a Y-Splitter and I have the FanMate set to the lowest setting at all times the reading of the RPM in SpeedFan just jumps around all the time.