Advice on New (Logitech) Mouse?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Alex

Advice on New (Logitech) Mouse?

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:34 am

Hi.

Which mouse would you buy?
Any recommendations?

My primary goals are:
--------------------------
Comfort and quality.
Vista compatibility.
Noise and price is much less important than comfort.
I have quite big (long slim) hands so I want a BIG mouse.
Everyday use, <20% gaming.

Some candidates to start with:
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, 2007 Version (With 2 thumb buttons, Teflon glide pads, 3-year warranty, USB report rate: 1000 reports/second but I don't think I need that.).
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 9&cl=gb,en
CNet Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/logitech-g ... 79337.html
Seems to be top of the line Gamer mouse.

The bigger G7 is even more comfortable for me but don't like to change batteries every second day, also the model is less new with only 1 thumb button and possibly no vista compatibility.
When I put my hands on mice in a shop G7, G5 was the most comfortable ones.

Logitech MX 620 Cordless Laser Mouse
(With free+normal spin scroll wheel , 2xAA batteries last a year, long 5-year warranty)
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 7&cl=gb,en
This one is cheaper and wireless.
Is this as comfortable as the G5 (note this is important for me)?
The design seems to cut more into your palm (hand).
Is it responsive enough (thinking of the wireless part)?
Note MX 620 is not available in the US yet.

Newest Logitech mice
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... r=0&sort=0

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:52 am

I love my logitech MX1000. Ultra comfort laser mouse. But as its cordless it won't be best choices for FPS. I have looked also Logitech MX revolution as my next mouse. Bit costly.

But MX1000 is very comfortable. If you're concerned about gaming performance, perhaps Microsoft Habu or Razer Death Adder would be better?

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:55 am

I'd get another Logitech VX Revolution. Here's my review of this gem. It appears to be similar to the MX 620 you identified, but with a few more features and only a single battery. Once you try the 'hyper-fast scroll wheel,' every other mouse will seem slow for navigating long documents, spreadsheets and websites. BTW, I also have long fingers and it feels great in my hands - very satisfying! Initial battery (single Duracell AA) is still working after several months of use, 5 days/week, 9-12 hours/day.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:47 am

My experience is that logitech mouses are so well made, they almost last for ever. Buy a good mouse and the "mouse engine" which tracks the movement is very important. The better it is, the more you will like your mouse. I still have a logitech MX300, but the 'glide pads' came loose. After mailing logitech with a question where I could get new ones, they sent me an paper-mail with 4 new ones for free :D Perfect.
Personally I like wired mouses the most, you can remove the weight from them and then you will have a very nice light mouse.

lor77

Post by lor77 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:42 am

Hi to everyone.
I have the MX Revolution Logitech mouse which is the desktop version of VX.
The mouse is just about perfect.Enjoy exceptional comfort with a sculpted, ergonomic design.It has also a very good feeling after many hours of gaming ,browsing etc.It also have all this features like the VX revolution Hyper-fast Scrolling,Touch to Search ,it can also be used as a remote control as its fully programmable.
Anyway im using this mouse for a 4 months time and im completely satisfied.
I was a bit concerned with the batteries since the mouse is totally closed and how they can be changed when the time will come but till now didnt had any problems.
Mouse Perfection from logitech!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 am

lor77 wrote:Hi to everyone.
I have the MX Revolution Logitech mouse which is the desktop version of VX.
The mouse is just about perfect.Enjoy exceptional comfort with a sculpted, ergonomic design.It has also a very good feeling after many hours of gaming ,browsing etc.It also have all this features like the VX revolution Hyper-fast Scrolling,Touch to Search ,it can also be used as a remote control as its fully programmable.
Anyway im using this mouse for a 4 months time and im completely satisfied.
I was a bit concerned with the batteries since the mouse is totally closed and how they can be changed when the time will come but till now didnt had any problems.
Mouse Perfection from logitech!
That's excellent to know. I have been slightly concerned should I spent that much money to MX Revolution, while I have MX 1000. It seems yes. ^^

lor77

Post by lor77 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:31 am

Greetings thejamppa.
I used to have an older optical wireless logitech mouse which had 2 AA batteries on the back.I noticed a huge difference when i changed to MX revolution.
The most important was the weight and the feeling of the mouse,of course adding some points in convenience,comfort,some great features and you have your answer.
I think that mx1000 isn't that ergonomic but i haven't tried it so i don't know.
Anyway this is your call, hope i helped some. :)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:54 am

Hello,

I have used/owned both the MX1000 and the MX610, and overall I prefer the MX610: replaceable AA batteries, better shape, better designed buttons -- more of them are usable. Tracking on both are great.

Since the MX620 is an updated MX610, I would go with it over the G5.

stephentw

Post by stephentw » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 am

I know someone who has the MX Revolution and it's a really nice mouse, the scroll wheel is just unreal! But I can't justify the huge price tag for it really. Don't know what it's like for games though sorry.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:28 am

OK, so you all liked Logitech MX/VX mice.
Since I will only game occasionally and will get a passive HD 2600 card for my rig (no serious gaming but quietness) I will try the MX 620 mouse.
The price of MX 620 mouse is also very reasonable and I am very tempted to buy one very soon.

Thank you all for your support/advice. :D

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:25 am

have a VX mouse and use it every day. It is well worth the cash.

Can't fault the responsiveness of the thing but gave up on wired mice years ago.

Got some USBCELL (www.usbcell.com) usb battery things for it so the single battery compartment / battery life is a non issue.