Computex 2007: Cases

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Computex 2007: Cases

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:23 pm

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:30 am

I like that the pictures of the Thermaltake cases include the "please no photographs" signs. That's a nice touch. :wink:

I can only imagine how much those Thermalright cases will retail for. If a heatsink with half a dozen heatpipes and 1/4 of a square foot of fin sells for $60, how much will something with 10 times the heatpipes and a 50 times the fin area be? Thermalright has never made cases before... this is a big new direction for them.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 am

Rusty075 wrote:I like that the pictures of the Thermaltake cases include the "please no photographs" signs. That's a nice touch. :wink:
According to Cyril at The Tech Report: "They had those signs, but when I asked their marketing dude he said taking pictures was okay." I wonder why the signs were there in the first place. :roll:

Of the featured cases, I have the most interest in the SG03 and mini-P180. My main concern about the SG03 is the placement of the PSU, which allows efficient use of space but places limits on the size of the CPU HSF. The mini-P180 might be too big for an mATX case, I think.

A176

Post by A176 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:12 am

mini p180! OMG!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:04 am

tempeteduson wrote:According to Cyril at The Tech Report: "They had those signs, but when I asked their marketing dude he said taking pictures was okay." I wonder why the signs were there in the first place. :roll:
Yeah, that's basically been the reaction from vendors with "No Photography" signs during our visits to CES as well. But having those signs up does let them limit who is taking pictures. They can selectively choose to ignore the signs for people they like, or call security on you if they don't like you. A couple of years ago we watched the marketing women at Coolermaster chase the booth workers from another company out of the area for engaging in a little corporate espionage by taking pictures of a prototype case. (I won't name the other company, but their initials were T.t. :wink: )

tempeteduson wrote:My main concern about the SG03 is the placement of the PSU, which allows efficient use of space but places limits on the size of the CPU HSF.
I had the same thoughts when we saw the SG03 at CES in January:
SPCR Does CES '07 wrote: The SG-03 is over an inch shorter and nearly three inches shallower than the already small Silverstone TJ-08, and is both shorter and shallower than the Antec NSK3300. But don't let the small size fool you, the SG03 features a pair of 120mm fans for cooling: both mounted as intakes for an all-positive airflow path. There is room for a pair of 3.5â€

jasonlava

Post by jasonlava » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:10 am

I want to see a review of that Antec HTPC case AND the mini P182.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:50 am

Hmm, Silverstone cases carrying ‘Scan’ logos. Scan is one of the UK’s largest hardware retailers, always stocking the full Silverstone range, plus exclusive offers on their kit. I’m guessing one has shares in the other. Might explain why OcUK stopped selling Silverstone.

samuelmorris

Post by samuelmorris » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:04 am

That makes sense, it's one of their featured stores isn't it?

animearth

Post by animearth » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:28 pm

I'd love it if Thermalright could get rid of or at least make smaller those horn-like heat-pipes on the front and rear of the tower and figure out a way to have GPU coupled onto that massive side heatsink... cpus today don't generate nearly as much heat as their graphical counterparts. Do that and you'll have a silencer's dream machine! Oh, and pricing at around $200 would make it ideal... *drool*... :o :o :o

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:29 pm

The Thermalright case with the side as a complete heatsink looks a bit extreme.

More practical: would you have to re-apply thermal paste every time you open the case....? :shock:

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:36 am

jasonlava wrote:I want to see a review of that Antec HTPC case AND the mini P182.
Seconded! As well as the new Zalman GPU coolers and Sugo SG03. The Thermalright case seems like a study in excess, as well as having questionably efficiency with the loooooooooooong heatpipes.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:07 pm

If I'm seeing that Thermalright case right, the heatsinks look like the condenser on a window AC unit. You look at the fins too hard and they bend inward. You couldn't carry the things easily.......the pressure of your fingers will dent the fins. And look terrible......you can buy a little comb-like device to straighten fins. Too much for me...... :P

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:49 pm

Bluefront wrote:If I'm seeing that Thermalright case right, the heatsinks look like the condenser on a window AC unit. You look at the fins too hard and they bend inward. You couldn't carry the things easily.......the pressure of your fingers will dent the fins. And look terrible......you can buy a little comb-like device to straighten fins. Too much for me...... :P
Handles on the tower version, but nothing visible on the htpc version.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:15 am

:lol: @ "... misguided power-crazed gamers."!

i hope antec isn't abandoning the "sensible noise/efficiency crazed gamers"...

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:23 am

Rather than turn the side of a case into a heatsink, I'd rather see the top of the case turned into a heatsink. Not only would that maximize the chimney stack effect, the heatsink wouldn't get in the way of accessing stuff from the side.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:39 pm

That full-ATX Fusion is the "P180 on its side" that I've been waiting for! Either that or the micro-Fusion... awesome cases at opposite ends of the HTPC spectrum. Let's hope one or the other is released soon! :)

yefi

Post by yefi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:59 pm

spookmineer wrote:The Thermalright case with the side as a complete heatsink looks a bit extreme.

More practical: would you have to re-apply thermal paste every time you open the case....? :shock:
Award for most ludicrous case design goes to...

That is a seriously bad design. What would happen if you knocked the door? Would it act as a cpu crusher? And what if went the other way and wouldn't make contact?

I won't even mention the cuts to your extremities you'd sustain working on it either.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:35 pm

Page 5:
Finally, here's a new massive CW01 case with one of their earlier models on top. The new case was built specifically in response to requests from Marantz, who sought a HTPC case that would mate well with their high end AV receivers and other gear.
It has the same design as the Reference series, look here.
Looks good, costs a lot. Probably sounds good too! :wink: