System build ready, but worried about temperatures

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Djang

System build ready, but worried about temperatures

Post by Djang » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:34 am

System Specs:
Case: Antec Solo
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
CPU Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120
Videocard: Geforce 8800 GTX from ASUS, modded with the Thermalright HR-03 Plus
Soundcard: Creative XiFi Xtreme gamer
HDD: Samsung 250 GB modded with a IBL silencer 5

Fans: 2 x Noctua 120mm 1200 rpm, 3 x Nexus 90mm (one on the videocard, 2 as intake), 1 Nexus 120mm as intake.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Idle temperatures from EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2007:
Motherboard: 42C
CPU: 39C
Core 1: 44C
Core 2: 41C
HDD: 41C
GPU: 46C
GPU diode: 54C
GPU memory: 46C

Stressed temperatures from EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2007:
Stressed through: AtiTool scanning for artifacts, HDD stressed, CPU stressed.
Motherboard: 46C
CPU: 61C
Core 1: 69C
Core 2: 64C
HDD: 42C
GPU: 54C
GPU diode: 60C
GPU memory: 53C

Fan speeds:
CPU: 915 rpm
GPU: 1704 rpm
Outtake: 811 rpm
Intake 120mm: 712 rpm
Intake 90mm: 1288 rpm

Noise:
Hard to explain erm.....
When my PC is on and my window is open you can hear children yelling, birds, ect. But the PC is unoticable. When the windows is closed ( its double glass, so all the noise from outside is isolated) and the tv is on: undetectable. When I'm lying in my bed at midnight and everything is turned off except the PC, I hear a fade hum from the PSU and fans.

Question:
Thanks to all the info I managed from the forum I build my system.
I'm very thankfull to everyone here, but I can’t find any sytem thats almost the same as mine. So I can’t find much material to compare my systems temperatures. I'm a bit worried, 6 Fans in one PC and I still have the feeling that these temperatures are too high. Is my feeling correct or is it normal to get temperetures like these. Most posts from peoples systems have temps around the 30s and stressed at 40s tot 50s. So can anyone advbise me….. HELP!!!

All comments are welcome,
Best regards: Djang
Last edited by Djang on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:48 am

Greetings,

The temps seem decent to me - though you don't mentio what the CPU is, and I see from the pictures that the HS is a Thermalright Ultra-120?

Djang

Post by Djang » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Doh my mistake :) I thought I had mentioned everything. The CPU is a Intel Core Duo E6600.
The HS is indeed a Thermalright Ultra-120

I edited the first post, so both are mentioned now.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Hello,

How about the room ambient temp? This has a large effect on the system temps.

I'd guesss that the "presence" you are hearing is a product of the Noctua fans?

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:19 pm

The CPU fan and rear exhaust *are* both blowing to the rear, correct?
Anyways....might want to doublecheck the heatsink attachment....maybe not making solid contact?

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:32 pm

My CPU idle temp (X2 4600+) varies from 33C in the winter to 46C in the heat of summer. This is using a Ninja. I woudn't worry about those temps unless you're getting them in an air-conditioned room.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Those temperatures are all fine.

In fact, you could turn down the fans, and make it even quieter.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 pm

temps are absolutely fine. you could loose the 120mm fan in the 5.25" bay, and take out one of the lower 90mm fans and still run cool as you need to, because there would be enough pressure from the exhaust to draw air in. the only time you need an intake fan near a heatsink is when its overclocked or runs insanely hot...which isn't the case here.

you'll notice more silence, and a quieter boot, as less fans are starting. take the number of fans down to 4:
1 front intake towards the bottom
1 exhaust
1 CPU heatsink
1 GPU heatsink

you could probably get away with leaving a fan off the graphics card heatsink, and taking the PCI slot fillers out from behind it so that air can circulate.

also, i couldn't help but notice the fan regulator on the heatsink itself, you might want to move that. putting anything on the heatsink like that can take away performance, and if the heatsink gets hot enough, destroy whatever it is.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:01 pm

how about trying coretemp to measure the temperatures? everest could be somewhat off.

that's using Ultra... the noctua doesn't provide enough pressure to cool it, that's a not the best combo.

Djang

Post by Djang » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:13 pm

How about the room ambient temp?
The ambient temperature is around the 23C

I'd guess that the "presence" you are hearing is a product of the Noctua fans?
Indeed, a slight whoosh sound from the outtake Noctua.

Anyways....might want to doublecheck the heatsink attachment....maybe not making solid contact?
You mean like re-apply the Thermal paste?
temps are absolutely fine. you could loose the 120mm fan in the 5.25" bay, and take out one of the lower 90mm fans and still run cool as you need to, because there would be enough pressure from the exhaust to draw air in. the only time you need an intake fan near a heatsink is when its overclocked or runs insanely hot...which isn't the case here.
If I loose the 120mm fan in the 5.25" bay the Motherboard temperature goes up to: 48C and the CPU to: 40C
I did take out one of the lower 90mm fans and I saw no change in temperatures. So I’ll remove one of those.

you could probably get away with leaving a fan off the graphics card heatsink, and taking the PCI slot fillers out from behind it so that air can circulate.
I’ll try that one too.

also, i couldn't help but notice the fan regulator on the heatsink itself, you might want to move that. putting anything on the heatsink like that can take away performance, and if the heatsink gets hot enough, destroy whatever it is.

I removed the Zalmn Fanmate and placed in somehere else in the case, the temps didn’t change much.

how about trying coretemp to measure the temperatures? everest could be somewhat off.
Ok I’ll try.

that's using Ultra... the noctua doesn't provide enough pressure to cool it, that's a not the best combo.
I heard that on the forum before, I have another Nexus lying around here, it wouldn’t hurt too try to swap that with the Noctua.

Thanks for the tips so far guys, they are defiantly useful, keep em coming.

speedlever

Post by speedlever » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:43 am

Looks like you're running XP. FYI, I haven't been able to get Coretemp and TAT to run on Vista/64. Anyone else?

Also, what PSU are you using?

Edit: nevermind. I see in the pic you are using a Corsair HX520W.

I have the same PSU running a P5B-E, e6600 (stock) and 2 gigs of Corsair DDR2-800/C4 ram and a Gigabyte 7600GT Silent Pipe II (fanless GPU). My HSF is the Noctua NH-U12F (includes the NF-S12-1200 fan) with the ULNA, Antec Tri-Cool exhaust fan (on low) and dual Nexus Real Silent 92mm intake fans on the Antec Solo case. I have 2 Sata drives: 74Gb Raptor, 320 Gb Samsung and 1 PATA drive: 300Gb Seagate 7200.7. Although not silent, this is a very quiet system.

Using Speedfan 4.32, I never saw the cores go above the low 50*C range when running Orthos. AFAIK, there's still some controversy as to what the actual/real temps are (due to 15* temp differences between some of the reporting programs).

I've not run Everest, so I have no comparison there. However, if you add 15* to my stressed core temps, I'd see mid to upper 60s... which is close to what you're seeing. Run Speedfan 4.32 and see if you get similar temps. I'd be curious to know.

At idle, ambient around 24*C (while doing normal PC things):
I don't know why the fans aren't all being detected. HD0 is the 7200.7, HD1 is the Raptor and HD2 is the Samsung... the coolest of them all.

Edit: I ran the trial version of Everest. I didn't show the Mobo temp as it was 5* lower but obscured the CPU temp in the graph:

Djang

Post by Djang » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

I removed the upper Nexus intake fan and replaced the Noctua with the Nexus.
The stressed temperatures are as follow:

Motherboard: 51C
CPU: 62C
Core 1: 68C
Core 2: 64C
GPU: 51C
GPU Diode: 60C
GPU memory: 55C
HDD: 40C

I'll try toreplace the Noctua outtake with a Nexus
I'm now more worried about the Motherboard then the CPU.