New here - temp fluctuations

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DIM67

New here - temp fluctuations

Post by DIM67 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:37 am

Hi all, I am new here at this forum. I have spent the last few weeks silencing my PC and looking at tons of sites about CPU's, Fans, Cases, Cooling etc.
My PC is very quiet now, except for the HDD high pitch whine, which is now noticable since I cant hear the fans anymore, so I still have some work to do.

I joined this forum because I still have some questions, one being about my CPU temperature. If I look at the Chart in Speedfan, it shows my CPU temp going up and down between 36 and 38 degrees Celsius, with an occasional spike up to 44. This has been like this for the past 30 minutes or so, and the only program I have running is Firefox and Speedfan. (Plus the standard background apps like NOD32, AdWatch etc.)

I took screenshots but I dont know how to post them yet.

The sys-fan is running at about 1722 rpm,
the CPU fan is running at about 1205 rpm,
I have one more frontpanel fan, but that doesn't show in Speedfan (?)
System temp reads 42 C,
AUX at 45 (not sure what that one is, probably the videocard),
HD0 at 35 C and HD1 at 33 C

My system:
Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz
Asus MB
2048 Ram
GForce 8600GT 256mb
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music

Besides from adding a few silent case-fans, soundproof padding, unrestricting airflow etc. the biggest thing I replaced was the standard Intel CPU heatsink and fan, with a Scythe Infinity (man that thing is massive...)

So there you have it, let me know what you think :)

DIM67

Post by DIM67 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:06 am

87 views and no replies? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:21 am

norton would do it, it does a lot of background indexing and such. same with anything that runs in the tray that deals with security.

If i open up firefox, or a new tab in firefox for that, i get a little spike in temps. maybe 3C max.

why dont you try not running the obvious, norton and adwatch, and see if that doesn't fix them out. 1C up and down is pretty normal. Anything more than that and your cpu is probably doing some stuff in the background or you're computers possessed.

DIM67

Post by DIM67 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:47 am

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks man :)