S12II fan swap

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

S12II fan swap

Post by Aleksi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi,

few photos of swapping the fan in the new Seasonic S12s. For this swap I made a small 2-pin to 3-pin adapter and used a NMB-MAT 120mm low speed ball bearing (NMB-MAT reference) fan.

the adapter

cleaning up the wiring before closing...

...and the finished product

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:37 am

Looking good! Neat cables and smooth work overall. I hope to get there as I upgrade a few other components.

Did you take any measurements by chance, starting voltages and the like? Would like to know if the internal feed is the same 3.8V as in the 650 Energy+(I think it was).

How's the new fan compared to the old one?

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:00 am

Morjens,

do I didn't measure the fan controller's starting voltage. I presume it's a bit above 4V, or atleast that's what the Antec EarthWatts had. If I have the time I may still play around with it and check the voltages.

The new fan is, naturally, quieter than the older one :) I've been using only NMB-MAT (former NMB and Panaflo merged) for a few years now, quite happy.

Off to continue assembling my HTPC in a new Silverstone LC20 :D

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:06 am

Moi vaan, as we say.

I might just as well try an NMB-MAT model. My previous choices all listed readings above 5V and 6V so I was sweating it a bit when I read about the 3.8-4V the controller chucks out.

If you happen to measure it, please let us know, and good luck with the HTPC.

raziell

Post by raziell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:11 am

i dont understand,the fan controler in the psu is the same so why did
you swap the fan?
you will get the same noise level...

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 am

Saunamies, thanks and will try.

Raziell, there was another thread where the newer S12II's were discussed. The original ADDA fan had an annoying low rumbling and whining, that was the main reason why I swapped. So...

a) the quality of the noise changed for better
b) I PRESUME, as per the EarthWatts and other Seasonic PSUs, the PSU will feed voltages below 5V until the 200W power usage (see the SPCR reviews for fan controller / power relationships).

So in fact as the new fan's top speed is a bit lower than the original fan's it will most likely spin a bit slower than the original fan, even though the PSU receives a bit less cooling (because the fan swap didn't decrease cooling enough for the fan controller to increase the fan voltage noticeably). The PSU will also have a dedicated cold air intake in my HTPC case, which will help in keeping the fan voltage low.

There's also a few of PSU modding / fan swap stickies that might help you with this matter.

Ugh, I have migrene so hopefully that made sense.

psymanproductions

Post by psymanproductions » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:15 pm

i did this, only mine was the version with rpm monitoring and i used an s-flex fan (1600 rpm one) shame i didnt take pics but the psu is now silent.

nice work with yours by the way

ZMAJ

Post by ZMAJ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:06 pm

do you know what is rpm of that fan? (I was googling and I think it is 1700rpm.)

I ask this coz I may do a fan swap in Corsair VX450 which is pretty the same like this seasonic SII except sticks, and some capacitors, as MikeC said that.

I guess mine YL D12SL-12 (1350rpm) won't be enough rpm for fan swap, right?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:04 am

You don't want to use that YL because it's a sleeve-bearing fan, the RPM could be enough if you have a cool ambient and good airflow.
http://www.addausa.com/specifications/92-120.pdf wrote:120 X 120 X 25 AD1212MB-A71GL BALL 12 0.33 3.96 2050
It's originally a 2050 RPM fan but it's never gone that high for me, I'd say it tries to stay in the sub-1000 territory but has gone over 1000 from time to time during prolonged gaming this summer.