Anyone ever replace a fan in a laserjet 2100 printer?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

comfortablynumb

Anyone ever replace a fan in a laserjet 2100 printer?

Post by comfortablynumb » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 pm

I have an old Laserjet 2100, but it still works great, with the exception of the fan, it sounds like it has a bad bearing.

The fan I believe is a 92mm but I haven't taken it apart yet, before I do I was wondering if anyone has successfully taken one apart and replaced the fan. Also can I replace it with a Scythe or Globalwin of the same size, or should I look for one with the same exact specs as what's in there now.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm

I haven't done it on my laser printer. I was thinking about it a few months back, but when I removed it I realized it is a 24v fan. Too much hassle for me...

comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Yea I just tore the printer, the fan was caked in dust (as I suspected it would be) I cleaned it out real good, it sounds a bit better but it's idle. Here is a pic of the fan (before it was cleaned)

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:50 am

Hi, you could try contacting Dorothy Bradbury who distributes NMB (formally Panaflo) fans. Has a great reputation for service and knowledge of fans. She can probably get you a suitable 24V replacement fan (eBay probably will too). I think your existing fan is ~2000rpm, I would guess that slightly less wouldn't be a problem as the printer no doubt designed to be capable of working in high ambient (30C+) so long as your house isn't really hot a slower fan should be fine.
Regards, Seb