Antec Fusion Black (finally...)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hamster Huey

Antec Fusion Black (finally...)

Post by Hamster Huey » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Just popped up on the website today:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails. ... dID=15739#

Antec customer service says it "should be available in a few weeks". I have to say, it's about time. I've been waiting for this thing since CES.

Y0ssar1an

Post by Y0ssar1an » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:01 pm

It has the LCD rather than the VFD (which is still on the spec for the silver version).

No matching NSK2400 black (bring on the vinyl dye!)

No micro fusion.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:02 pm

I notice they've placed it in a new product category, "Veris." Also, it now includes an IR receiver (how they missed this originally is beyond me).

Now they just need to add the Micro Fusion! Please please please!!!

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:03 pm

I wish they'd just release a black NSK2400. The Fusion doesn't warrant the premium, imo. What's always disturbed me about the Fusion is that it has "high quality hi-fi feet" near the front, and cheap silicon grommets near the back, anyone know if this is still the case with the black Fusion? Too much of a "let's save 23 cents by not providing 4 quality feet" imo.

puddnhead

Well you can finally buy it

Post by puddnhead » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:35 am

You can buy it now directly from Antec for $219 plus shipping if you need it ASAP. Me, I'm hoping for a bit lower price than that. I checked pricegrabber, etc, but could find nothing yet. If someone else finds it, please post here!

http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=550

Interestingly, you can no longer buy the original silver fusion on the site, and it also seems to have gone out of stock at a lot of other places (eg newegg). Wonder what's up with that.

puddnhead

Re: Well you can finally buy it

Post by puddnhead » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:44 am

puddnhead wrote:You can buy it now directly from Antec for $219 plus shipping if you need it ASAP. Me, I'm hoping for a bit lower price than that. I checked pricegrabber, etc, but could find nothing yet.
I take that back. It's at zipzoomfly for $180, free shipping, and atacom.com, $160 + ~$18 shipping (for me). Also, listed but temporarily sold out at buy.com, $184 + $28 shipping, and provantage (stock expected 6/28 ), $161+$30 ship.

But still, please do post if you find a better price!

Y0ssar1an

Post by Y0ssar1an » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:45 pm

So the v1 VFD wasn't well reviewed by SPCR. Been searching & would be interested in more details on the new LCD/any other changes for the v2 as I will probably be bying one of these very soon...

IronChef

Post by IronChef » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:49 am

Does anybody know what the LCD looks like? The animation on the Antec site suggests that it looks exactly the same as the VFD, but I somehow doubt it. I'm expecting some lame blue backlit display with slightly brighter text that doesn't fill the display window completely with poor contrast that makes it hard to read compared to the VFD. Does anybody know?

Muntz

Post by Muntz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 am

IronChef wrote:Does anybody know what the LCD looks like? The animation on the Antec site suggests that it looks exactly the same as the VFD, but I somehow doubt it. I'm expecting some lame blue backlit display with slightly brighter text that doesn't fill the display window completely with poor contrast that makes it hard to read compared to the VFD. Does anybody know?
I purchased the Fusion Black and transfered my HTPC over to it yesterday.

Look for a link to an image of the LCD in my next post.. as this is my first post..

Much like the Fusion V1 with the VFD, you can only use the Antec supplied "crippled" drivers and software. In fact, the software is actually called VFD.exe. Some of the features appear not to work with the Antec drivers. The icons along the bottom do not change when playing videos, the sound icons always show LF RF despite the fact I'm using SPDIF, etc.. I'm running Vista, so maybe it would work better in MCE.

The IR works for the most part with my MCE remote and MCE keyboard. I can't seem to get the PC to go into standby using it though. If I plug my MCE IR receiver in I can put it into and bring it out of standby. However, every key press is captured twice as there are two IR recievers.

If anyone knows of a way of disabling the IR on the LCD without disabling the whole LCD, let me know.

Hopefully Antec or Imon will provide updated drivers; but, I'm not holding my breath.

The case itself is really nice! The black aluminum finish looks awesome in my audio rack. The power and HDD LEDs are still obnoxious blue. I had read that they were supposed to be white.

One other issue I encountered is that I cannot fit either of my WinPVR-250s in the case. The backplane on the cards just will not fit in the little slot on the bottom of the case. I kind of gave up trying to force them in as I really don't use the HTPC as a PVR anymore, its mainly just a media player. Other than that everything fit nicely.
Last edited by Muntz on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muntz

Post by Muntz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:09 am

IronChef

Post by IronChef » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks heaps for that Muntz! I assume that the array of dots used for the spectrum analyser in the picture can also be used to display song titles and track time etc?

fri2219

Antec has to be kidding with that price

Post by fri2219 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 pm

The Fusion Black is for sale at newegg for the MSRP of US$219. I'm very disappointed. I was expecting to pay maybe $120 for it, along the lines of the NSKxxxx.

Toss in display drivers that don't work, a power supply that silent computing types would replace, and plastic parts that warp, oxidize, and break (Ask me about my 1st gen P180 sometime...) in the course of normal use, and it's even worse.

For $20 more than the Veris Fusion, I could get a decent media case with thermal management other than "let's put two big hurkin' fans on the same side of the case".

Of course, I'll have to forgo blinking lights, a sucktastic power supply, and other "features" I don't want.
Last edited by fri2219 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm

What's the difference between the V1 and V2?

Crewone

Post by Crewone » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:48 am

I have a fusion black.

Although the case LOOKS nice, the software support is horrible.

There a loads of problems with the LCD and IR.

The LCD is not supported in applications other then MCE and Winamp. 3rd party drivers, like there are for the Fusion V1, do not exist. Linux is also not supported and there are no drivers for linux at this moment.

The IR receiver is not capable of receiving commands from anything but a true MCE remote control, and even then not all buttons are supported.

It's too bad this is about the only case that looks good, has an USB LCD, fits a decent amount of hardware and is somewhere near affordable.

If the software support would be better it could be such a great case.

Muntz

Post by Muntz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:17 am

Just an update:

I contacted Antec support about not being able to put the computer into Standby using the remote an IR on the Fusion Black. They advised that I needed to hook the case power switch wires to the LCD and the "MBR PWR" and "GND" wires from the LCD to the PW Switch pins on the motherboard.

This requires you to take the entire front panel off the case, uninstall the LCD. Open the LCD case. Connect the power switch cables to two pins on the LCD that aren't really labelled and somehow manage to get back cover back on the LCD. The only way to get the back on would be to cut a hole in it where you've plugged in the power switch cables. It won't fit otherwise.

I decided to block the IR receiver in the LCD with electrical tape and use the MCE IR Receiver instead. This way I can at least use the limited capabilities of what looks to be a nice LCD in the case. Hopefully someone figures out how to use drivers other than the Antec supplied ones. I tried the ones on the SoundGraph site; however, they do not work with the LCD.

I'm also having an issue with LCD being dead after resuming from Standby on occasion. I have to restart the system in order to bring it back.

There are a number of threads on the SoundGraph (the manufacturer of the VFD and LCD) site with people having issues with Antec Fusion Black and Antec Fusion V2 drivers.

dropit

IR part of the iMON

Post by dropit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 am

Does anyone know if the IR part of the LCD is supported under linux?

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Muntz wrote:Image of LCD:
Sorry, as first time poster I can't quote links, I am referring to the image "Muntz" posted of his LCD display.

I just installed my Antec Fusion Black and my LCD looks terrible.
Your picture shows a black background, my LCD has a light blue background with dark blue text, completely unacceptable, and this is with the contrast set to the lowest level.

Is there some other setting I have to make to get a black background?

Regards
P.

zerok66

Post by zerok66 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:47 am

A general question about the case design... is it highly rated as a good flowing case? I want to ditch my x11 for something that flows air better.

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:03 pm

I've just recently got an Antec Fusion V2, and love it. :)

Question though - in this version the VFD is powered partially by three wires trailing off the 24 pin connector - which seems to be custom to the fusion.

If i was to purchase a new psu - ie HX520 - is there some other way to power the VFD.. maybe something i've missed?

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 pm

Mikey wrote:I've just recently got an Antec Fusion V2, and love it. :)

Question though - in this version the VFD is powered partially by three wires trailing off the 24 pin connector - which seems to be custom to the fusion.

If i was to purchase a new psu - ie HX520 - is there some other way to power the VFD.. maybe something i've missed?

I have a Fusion Black, and the manual says to contact Antec support if you have a different PSU.

chrimbow

Post by chrimbow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:03 am

According to the manual (lol-if you read it!) an adpter is available

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:21 am

As I've mentioned in a previous post, my LCD does not look so good, here are three pics:
Low contrast setting.
http://www.insanegenius.com/download/IMG_2938.JPG
Normal contrast.
http://www.insanegenius.com/download/IMG_2940.JPG
High contrast.
http://www.insanegenius.com/download/IMG_2941.JPG

How does this compare with other Fusion Black owners?

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Damn, so annoying that they didn't include that lcd with the fusion V2.

Suppose there is alot going on, though.

Thanks ptr727 + chrimbow, will have to hunt around. Manuals.. pfft.. :oops: 8)

JelloMan

Same problem here

Post by JelloMan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:43 am

ptr727 wrote:As I've mentioned in a previous post, my LCD does not look so good, here are three pics:
Low contrast setting.

Normal contrast.

High contrast.

How does this compare with other Fusion Black owners?
My LCD looks the same as yours.

ptr727

Re: Same problem here

Post by ptr727 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:14 pm

JelloMan wrote:My LCD looks the same as yours.
That is really too bad, I was expecting a pitch black background and very high contrast :(

JelloMan

Post by JelloMan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:36 pm

ptr727 wrote:
That is really too bad, I was expecting a pitch black background and very high contrast :(
Yeah not too great, but is it meant to be that way??

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:10 pm

Mikey wrote:Thanks ptr727 + chrimbow, will have to hunt around. Manuals.. pfft.. :oops: 8)
Brilliant, Antec is sending me one. :D

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:46 pm

JelloMan wrote:
ptr727 wrote:
Yeah not too great, but is it meant to be that way??
I sure hope not, as is I'm thinking of returning the case, I can't see any detail on the display sitting in my livingroom.
It simply looks like a blue light, especially compared to the crisp amber on black LCD of my AV receiver.

I have a ticket open with Antec support, and I'm waiting for them to send me pics of what it is supposed to look like.

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm documenting my experience with the Fusion Black and LCD problems here, added pictures from Antec support:
http://www.insanegenius.com/fusionblack/

Note the pretty LCD display picture from the SoundGraph OEM page compared to the poor results I am seeing.

FireFoxx74

Post by FireFoxx74 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:32 am

I'm a bit confused by the whole V1/Black/V2 LCD issue.

Am I right in thinking that:
V1 - VFD
V2/Black - LCD

Thanks.