Use Ninja to passively cool an E6750?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

planux

Use Ninja to passively cool an E6750?

Post by planux » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm hoping I avoid the anti-Ninjans running around these boards. :)

I just finished setting up my new system. I'll spare all the fun details, but here are the relevant bits:
Case: Antec Sonata II
Case Fans: 1) Antec Tri set to "low" exhausting out the rear 2) Noctua (NF-S12-800) pulling in from the hard drive area
CPU: Intel E6750
CPU Cooler: Ninja Spec B
VGA: Sapphire X1950XTX (passive cooled with Arctic Accelero S1)
Power Supply: Antec 450W (dual fan)

I have barely booted the system so I'm still a ways away from having done any serious testing on it, but what's the gut feeling on leaving the CPU in a passive-cooling configuration? The rear case fan is easily within an inch of the ninja, though it is pulling air away from the Ninja rather than jetting air into it. I'm somewhat concerned about the passive cooling on the VGA card, as there isn't a great source of airflow in that region of the case. Whadda ya think?

P.S. System will not be overclocked

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:12 pm

If you run into stability problems, you can always build a duct like this*:

-------------------
F | ______ |
A | |scythe| |
N | |_____| |
---/accelero \
----------GPU-------

*ASCII art not to scale.

Natronomonas

Post by Natronomonas » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:02 pm

You can but try.

The e6750 isn't particularly high powered, but I'm not sure how it would go 100% load all the time. I'd be inclined to try ducting from at least the ninja to the exhaust fan (many examples around here in the articles/fora).
However, you may as well try as-is first, if it works, why not?? : )

Load it up with Orthos and see how it goes.

If the GPU struggles (3dmark i guess) an 80mm at 5v might do the trick, or ducting; in my case, I just sit said 80mm pointing at the vga card on the case floor. Not so portable, but it works and is silent. I may eventually get around to a more permanent solution... or not!

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:39 pm

I have no idea, because the biggest factor is what you'll have this computer doing.
I have a x1950 Pro, passively cooled with the Acelerro S1, and only a Yate Loon exhaust fan - no intake fan in my Sonata 2. It idles at around 15c over room temp. I'm not a game fanatic, so I doubt that will ever be an issue for me.

If your usage isn't terribly CPU taxing, you've got a good shot at passive there. I'd say, go for it. Keep SpeedFan open as you go about normal use, and keep an eye on your temps.

You'll find one of 3 things:
You don't need the fan.
You do need the fan.
You sometimes need the fan.

Fan accordingly :)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:50 pm

I'm very definitely not anti-Ninja, but I am extremely anti-tricool. Replace those fans with something quiet (Nexus, Yate Loon, S-Flex, etc).

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:03 pm

cmthomson wrote:I'm very definitely not anti-Ninja, but I am extremely anti-tricool. Replace those fans with something quiet (Nexus, Yate Loon, S-Flex, etc).
I must have gotten a good one. While I won't say the Yate Loon wasn't an improvement over the tri-cool, it made the smallest difference of any adjustment I've made. The Sonata 2's stock PSU concealed the tri-cool's noise very effectively. As did the stock HDD mounts :)

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:39 am

I've my E6750 with a passive Ninja Rev. B. and its idle between 38/41 C. I havent been able to test in stress yet.

I think its a bit high so I'm bussy lapping my Ninja right now. I've got 4 Nexus fans right now, but i think im gonna do a different setup. Im gonna post pics soon (later 2nite I hope).

planux

Thanks!

Post by planux » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:32 am

Awesome -- many thanks for the suggestions. I did some preliminary testing last night and TAT reported that each of the cores was around 20c at idle and spiked up to around 40c under 100%x2 simulated TAT load over 20 minutes. I'd be happier with 35c, but the ambient temp in the room was pretty high and I haven't installed the fan pulling in from the drive bays yet. I think I'll try ducting the exhaust fan to the Ninja and see what impact that has. I'm not a huge fan of either the Antec Tri-cool fan or the Antec power supply, but I haven't built up enough steam yet to pull the Seasonic from my old case and swap it with the Antec p/s.

I'm really impressed with the SPCR forums. I've been coming to SPCR for reviews and whatnot for a few years, but this was my first venture into forum-land and I'm blown away by the helpful feedback. Thanks guys!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:38 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

Those temps sound amazingly low -- maybe because the sensor is off, but I think you should be fine. Heck, idle at 40C and load at 60C would be totally normal. :o

planux

Post by planux » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:37 pm

Digging more into it, sounds like reading the temperatures right off of TAT isn't the right thing to do. From the other posts on here, it sounds like I need to add 15c to the TAT reading to arrive at the 'true' number. That said, and with the assistance of the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide over at Tom's Hardware, I think I can conclude that my temps are OK with my current configuration. :) More testing this week!

accord1999

Post by accord1999 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:13 pm

The TAT workload is also a worst-case scenario in terms of power usage, no other real world application comes close to TAT in getting the temperature up on a C2D.