Dimming P180B Power and HDD leds

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

paramthegreat

Dimming P180B Power and HDD leds

Post by paramthegreat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi,

I bought a P180B (v1.1) last week and I must say I am impressed with the case. However, the power and HDD led lights are too bright for me. The computer is in my bedroom and the led lights bother me when I want to sleep. Is there anyway to dim those lights? I remember reading a post by someone who tried to dim them too, but I cannot find that post. I am also not sure if that person managed to dim them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 pm

If you don't want to plug the cords of the motherboard, you could always do led swap. I'd personally would remove front bezel and change leds into less brighter (and change colours, I don't really like blue leds. Purple and red are less brighter and better fit for the sleeper machine ) or I would apply dark smoke coated clear. Applying black hobby paint which is thinned with water 1 paint 4 or 5 water would also make leds dim.

Ways are many. I am sure there are many otherways.

jubrany

Post by jubrany » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:14 pm

I was told scuffing them with sandpaper also helps reduce the intensity of the LEDs, but I don't like the idea of marking up my case. this black paint idea sounds good.

One way i just thought up is to tape up the LEDs with electrical tape and just poke some small holes thru the tape to let some light through... although that is kinda cheesy and I don't know how well it would work.

paramthegreat

failed first attempt

Post by paramthegreat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Today morning I decided to give it a shot and dim the lights. After taking out the front panel completely, I found that the HDD leds were held with a screw, so that was fairly easy to work on. The power led was a totally different case. Power leds seem to have been glued into the front panel. I was not sure what would happen if I yanked it out so I left it alone.

Has anyone actually removed the power led. Some pictures would be great.