Scythe Mini Ninja spotted

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:It appears from photos at sellers' sites that the Minja K8 mounting has holes at the four corners, and can therefore be mounted at any 90 degree angle. Can any new owner confirm this?
I can deny it. Mounted my new Minja yesterday and was only able to mount it one way, ofcourse the way I didn't wan't it. The mounting tabs were resting on the heatpipes when trying to mount it the way I'd like to. I'll let the camera speak for me:

Properly seated:

Only way it would mount, not the way I want the airflow over my MB:

Also the Ninja Mini K8 mounting tab extends over the NB HS on my Biostar TF7050-M2 possibly eliminating or atleast complicating an upgraded NB HS:
Felger Carbon wrote: The remaining question is, is the Minja mounting firm and tight like the original Ninja or loose and sloppy (with poor thermal contact) like the RevB?
Since I will mount the MB in an Lian Li PC-V300 it will be horizontal, so for myself I'm satisfed. If I where to mount it vertically though, I would probably try and find some form of bolt-down solution. Not convinced I don't have airbubbles in the AS5 down there...

Regards,
Kent.

Rytter

Post by Rytter » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:28 am

Hi Im just curious, I also have a Lian Li Pc-V300 case. Did the mini ninja fit in the V300 and is it any space left between the cooler and the PSU?

And one last question, I see you live in sweden just like me where did you buy your mini ninja?

Best regards //Rytter

hot22shot

Post by hot22shot » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:10 am

Same here, I want to know if it could be used in the v300. My q6600 is a little too warm :D .

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:45 am

kentc wrote:
Felger Carbon wrote:It appears from photos at sellers' sites that the Minja K8 mounting has holes at the four corners, and can therefore be mounted at any 90 degree angle. Can any new owner confirm this?
I can deny it. Mounted my new Minja yesterday and was only able to mount it one way, ofcourse the way I didn't wan't it. The mounting tabs were resting on the heatpipes when trying to mount it the way I'd like to. I'll let the camera speak for me:
Ouch, that hurts! Same problem as the Nina RevB; there's no airflow thru the low extruded HS on standard K8 boards - rats! :cry:

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:32 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

I have a question: does the mounting bracket on the Mini Ninja differ from the bracket on the Rev B Ninja?
Not the best pics but Newegg:

Ninja http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ ... 038-05.jpg

Ninja-Mini
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ ... 046-04.jpg

To me it looks like all 3 mounting mechanisms are different. Maybe the differences are mostly cosmetic but there are more holes, holes in different places, less/more border material and so on.

How am I to know from a 775 testbed based review how well it will do on an AM2 board? How am I to know if someone does a review of one rev that it will be similar when they change the mounting on the next rev?

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:10 am

Rytter wrote:Hi Im just curious, I also have a Lian Li Pc-V300 case. Did the mini ninja fit in the V300 and is it any space left between the cooler and the PSU?
The Minja won't fit no. 1) You won't be able to slide the MB tray in and out. I plan to mount the MB with the tray in the case. And 2) it will not fit with a standard ATX powersupply mounted as intended. In my case (pun intended) I'll be using a Seasonic SS-300SFD mATX PSU which I will custom make an adaptorplate for and probably mount it without it's casing.

It might be possible with a standard ATX PSU if you take it out of its casing aswell or if you remove/grind down the decorative bolts on the heatpipes of the Minja. I have seen an old thread here on SPCR where someone had done this to a Ninja and had gained several mm's.

If you guys have two to three weeks of patience I could try these solutions and post pictures if you'd like?
Rytter wrote:And one last question, I see you live in sweden just like me where did you buy your mini ninja?
I got mine from Friese IT (www.friese-it.de), I felt the price was fair and they handled the order decently, although it was a bit of a hassle that they did not accept any credit cards, so payment had to be made via bank transfer which takes a few days.

Regards,
Kent.

PS. How about starting a silent PC-V300 thread in the cases and damping forum? I'll be modding mine pretty heavilly for noise and looks and I wonder if anyone else has?

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:14 am

Felger Carbon wrote:Ouch, that hurts! Same problem as the Nina RevB; there's no airflow thru the low extruded HS on standard K8 boards - rats! :cry:
Yes, it sucks. I'm thinking of making a tiny airguide to get some airflow through there. In on one side and out the other?

Kent.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:53 am

kentc wrote:It might be possible with a standard ATX PSU if you take it out of its casing aswell or if you remove/grind down the decorative bolts on the heatpipes of the Minja. I have seen an old thread here on SPCR where someone had done this to a Ninja and had gained several mm's.
The decorative bolts on the fullsize Ninja are just endcaps held on with hotglue. Assuming the Mini has the same (and I think that's a reasonably assumption), just twist to break the glue and pull, to get them off. No need for grinding, and in fact 'd be very leery of putting a grinding wheel near a heatpipe.

hot22shot

Post by hot22shot » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:42 am

kentc wrote: If you guys have two to three weeks of patience I could try these solutions and post pictures if you'd like?
Thanks, if your willing to, I don't mind. I'm leaving for a two weeks trip and I can wait to see how much mm it could give us.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Jasper wrote:...just twist to break the glue and pull...
Have you personally done this? My experience is that hot glue is awfully good stickum. :oops:

Drexl

Post by Drexl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Has anyone mounted this (with the fan) on one of the Gigabyte P35 boards? I want to order this, but I'm afraid the RAM is going to get in the way of the fan. I really don't want to give up the extra slots.

The memory is Crucial Ballistix which is 30mm in height.

Rytter

Post by Rytter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:17 am

Have you tried any of the sugestions yet Kentc?
Would be fun to know if its possible to go with the ninja without the caps..

And yes it would be very interesting with a silent lian li pc-v300 thread!

hot22shot

Post by hot22shot » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:29 am

I found the old thread where it was first done (by Jasper) : viewtopic.php?t=36197&postdays=0&postor ... s&start=90

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:27 am

Felger Carbon wrote:
Jasper wrote:...just twist to break the glue and pull...
Have you personally done this? My experience is that hot glue is awfully good stickum. :oops:
Yep, I've done it (and I'm getting a brandnew digicam so I'll finally be able to provide pictorial evidence soon, yay!). There's a big gap between the endcaps and the heatpipes, that's only indifferently filled by the glue. It's not like the glue interface carries a whole lot of load, so they haven't designed to be particularly sticky.

I used a pair of needlenose pliers[1] to grab the endcaps though, you're not going to do it with your fingers.

[1] Actually, an SOG Powerlock multi-tool with compound leverage pliers -- but a regular pair should do the trick nicely.

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Sat May 31, 2008 6:23 am

It's been so long since this thread, and i finally got around to buying a Minja.

Originally i didn't bother, as my htpc was not making sufficient noise for me to bother. This was running an E6750 @ stock in an antec Fusion.

Recently i've bought some new components, and thought it was high time to overclock it. Overclocking to 3.2Ghz, load temps on the stock hsf were ~61 deg.

With the Minja it averages ~42, a staggering difference! Idling with speedstep activated @ 2.4Ghz, it's a mere 19 degrees. The stock cooler was able to achieve this @ 2.0Ghz before it was overclocked.

I've also discovered a healthy decrease in temps on my 8800GT.

I bought the Sparkle heatpipe 8800GT, and modified the fusion to make it fit. Previously i had a MSI 8600GT, but the sparkle is a tad higher, requiring more of a bump.

Anyway, getting back to the point. With stock cooling in the fusion, the 8800GT gave me idle temps of 48.

It now idles at 36!

I suspect the Minja forces more airflow to go over the fins, thereby cooling it better.

All in all it's been a very pleasant experience, i'd highly reccomend it. 8)

NB. System is now cooled purely by two Nexus 120mm's @ 12v. I assume this to be the case - they're connected via molex. ;)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:31 am

Second that Minja recommendation.

Easiest cooler installation I've encountered by far (others have all been Zalman's and no-name brands) and cooling performance is excellent. Had a hard time getting the included fan to fit in my P182 and in the end "had to" let it run passive - which it does great under the watchful blades of my two S-Flex 1200s. :wink:

clope

Post by clope » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 am

Mikey wrote: I bought the Sparkle heatpipe 8800GT, and modified the fusion to make it fit. Previously i had a, but the sparkle is a tad higher, requiring more of a bump.
hi mikey,

what do u modified on ur antec fusion to make ur sparkle fit in there??
i'm planing to buy exact ur configuration but recently found out that the sparkle heat pipes making the card to high.
do u flexed out some holes? i first thought i'll be able to lower down the heat pipes a little to make it fit.

greets