Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Mini Ninja at Newegg

Post by JoeWPgh » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:12 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185046
$30 + shipping
Apparently, it ships with an 80mm fan, but with accessories to attach an 80 or 92 fan. I needed a 92 for my junkbox frankenstein, and ordered 2, to have an extra on hand. As it is, I'm not sure the 'Minja' will fit where I'd like to use it. But if not, I'm sure it will fit in one of the other 2 boxes. More to come...

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Pushpins again for 775? NOOOOOO!!!!!!

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:44 am

tehfire wrote:Pushpins again for 775? NOOOOOO!!!!!!
Yeah. Pretty grim. I'm hoping to install it on an Athlon 4600+, in an HTPC box. The heatsink should fit easily. The heatsink and fan? It's going to be close.

GaryJ

Re: Mini Ninja at Newegg

Post by GaryJ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 pm

JoeWPgh wrote:...'Minja'...
Nice naming convention. I hope it sticks.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Re: Mini Ninja at Newegg

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:45 pm

GaryJ wrote:Nice naming convention. I hope it sticks.
Me too. That's why I stole it :)

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:13 pm

JoeWPgh wrote:
...'Minja'...

Yeah, it's tops. It's probably the most cunning name I've ever heard. I swear, it's the perfect fit, like the way a knife fits into a sheath. It just comes off the lips. Typing it makes me just want to finger the keyboard all day.

Drexl

Post by Drexl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Max Slowik wrote:Yeah, it's tops. It's probably the most cunning name I've ever heard. I swear, it's the perfect fit, like the way a knife fits into a sheath. It just comes off the lips. Typing it makes me just want to finger the keyboard all day.
So, are you going to snatch one up soon?

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:40 am

Plenty of information on the Minja in this thread. Seems the 775 push pins mounts just fine..

Regards,
Kent.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:22 pm

So, are you going to snatch one up soon?
Oh, perfect!

Actually, I already have, and I can't wait to mount it.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 pm

OK, I've had it installed for 2 days now. So far, I have to say that as a cooler for a congested HTPC box, I'm underwhelmed. There are 2 problems. In an nMedia case, it's still just a hair too tall, even with the decorative nuts removed. It fits, sorta. My CPU temps have remained similar (but a touch higher) to what I had with a Zalman CNPS8000, but as reported by Speedfan, all other temps are 4 - 5 degrees higher.

I see two reasons for this: The lack of a 'blow down fan' and the significantly larger displacement of the minja. The first is obvious, but the second is something I've been wondering about - even as I ordered the minja. A problem with horizontal HTPC cases that no one seems to mention is the relatively small cubic space inside them. That means less air for components to heat, which means the components better heat that air. In this case, a nMedia ba288, I got a significant temp drop by using a seasonic SFX PSU, which is incredibly tiny, compared to a standard ATX. I had played with front to back 80mm fanned PSUs as well as 120 'bottom draws' (in the nMeadia case, the PSU is mounted 'Upside down', making it a 'top draw')

The tiny Seasonic SSD was not only the only PSU to register a difference in case temps, but it lowered them a good 4-5 degrees. I attributed this to it's small displacement, as much as it's efficiency. It simply leaves more room for air inside the case. After replacing the compact Zalman with the much larger minja, I am more convinced that is true.

I'm leaning toward punting the minja over to one of my towers with the greater box volume and going back to the Zalman in the media box. I'm tossing this out there for flames or discussion: When you have a very small case, with a small volume of air, small components inside it have a significant difference in your overall temps. Decreasing the cubic volume of air in such a box, even for 'better parts' is not something to be taken lightly. What say you?

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Max Slowik wrote:
JoeWPgh wrote:
...'Minja'...
Yeah, it's tops. It's probably the most cunning name I've ever heard. I swear, it's the perfect fit, like the way a knife fits into a sheath. It just comes off the lips. Typing it makes me just want to finger the keyboard all day.
Max Slowik wrote:Can we not coin it the Minja? You guys know what a minge is, right?

I mean, if that's the way it goes I'm just going to start calling it the Scythe Vulva. Or maybe just the Cunny.
:!: