Importance of a decent surge protector?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Sainty

Importance of a decent surge protector?

Post by Sainty » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm just about done building my new system, but the idea crossed my mind that perhaps it was time to investigate my surge protection. Currently there is one 6 outlet strip plugged into another 6 outlet strip, then comes my computer cords. Does piggy backing surge suppressors help with the protection, or is the issue of overloading one that would negate such a setup?

Also, I've heard that surge suppressors wear down their ability to protect against uneven power as they age. If that is true, how often should one replace the units? The current ones are just cheap-o Ace Hardware sales specials. Any thoughts?

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:11 am

Surge is one of a few types of power quality issues that can cause expensive problems to PCs. Consider a good quality UPS which will not only guard against surges but also brown-outs and blackouts. The more expensive ones claim to 'clean' the power so it is better regulated.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:20 am

The area in which I live has very good power overall. For the most part it might be years between blackouts and only once or twice during the summer time did we have a brownout. Still, considering the cost of the other components in the machine perhaps an UPS is the way to go. Does SPCR have a shootout of such devices, or do you know of a good comparison chart? Thanks!

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:38 am

Sainty wrote:Does SPCR have a shootout of such devices, or do you know of a good comparison chart? Thanks!
There aren't any here (formally) but I've heard you can find such thing at this site.

(Apologies for the smart-arse answer, but really how hard can it be?!)

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:17 am

I've found that Dansdata has some pretty good articles about this issue. Here's one article about power conditioning, and one about surge protection. If you're really up for it, you can build your own UPS.

Edit: Yes, it's quite a read, but very worth it I think.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:10 pm

nutball wrote:
Sainty wrote:Does SPCR have a shootout of such devices, or do you know of a good comparison chart? Thanks!
There aren't any here (formally) but I've heard you can find such thing at this site.

(Apologies for the smart-arse answer, but really how hard can it be?!)
It isn't a matter of hardness or ease, but rather personal experience. I've learned that review sites offer a valuable service, but sometimes you have to own a product for weeks or even months before you realize all its pros and cons. That's why I always ask for what people actually use themselves and if they are happy with it. Don't worry, I know where google is. Been there, done that. ;)

No hard feelings chap. :lol: