Join the SPCR Folding@Home effort

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:05 am

AndrewC wrote:Can anyone help me. My log says that I have completed 11 WUs but I have only 5 that show up at Stanford's Website. I'm using a 2100+ and Electron Microscope if that makes a difference.
You need to check what actually happened to those units.

1) There was an error - you will never get any credit. In EM, if you go to Options, select your box, then display the Queue.dat and scroll through the last 10 units. "Finished & Sent" you should get credit. "Deleted Work Unit" means there was some failure: I have had this about 1% of the time for no obvious reason, but all my others were because I was over overclocked.

2) Check the FAHlog.txt. Something like
[09:57:06] - Shutting down core
[09:57:06]
[09:57:06] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT
[09:57:09] CoreStatus = 64 (100)
[09:57:09] Sending work to server

[09:57:09] + Attempting to send results
[09:57:59] + Results successfully sent
[09:57:59] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
means you should get credit.

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:38 am

Me = 10000!

And still in persuit of Dukla..

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:34 am

Well done - join the 10k club :D

I was hoping that with the stats servers borked it would halt you progress. Except now they are going again it seems Stanford received your bribe cos they keep losing points for me!

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:25 pm

Can't bribe them, tried it.
Actually I think I lot of my WU's have gone into a black hole the past few days..

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:20 pm

Oh man, what a gyp. Over 80 hours on my last WU, I average less than a point per hour. Didn't even change position in the SPCR list. :?

<Insert raspberry sound here> Image

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:26 am

took my lap top 4 days for a 70 pointer.....

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:03 pm

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:11 pm

Yeah, welcome to the team, tangled. Glad you're here.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:31 pm

I am a new folder joining the ranks of silent folding
Hmmm let's see. Posts: 1
Call me crazy, that's seem kinda new to me.
Welcome!

We hope you have a couple of dozen P4's at your disposal. :shock:

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:32 pm

Couple dozen P4s? stop being so lame. I'm trying to convince my dad that we really do need 20 1U dual opteron 244 servers to fold. Unfortunatly he has a very good argument against me- we'd have to sell the house to buy them, and then where would we put them? :)

Actually we could probably get away with just selling the cars and my sister, but then they wouldn't be able to work to pay the massive electricity bill :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:11 pm

After an 18 hour Tinker I got F-I-V-E lousy points. :x

To this I have to say NI!

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:52 pm

to that, i deleted the work directory and got me a gromacs.

and i actually felt guilty about that for a while.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:53 pm

Riff, is that why you're #20?

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:31 pm

i have no idea about what you're talking about. *calls lawyers* :P

actually, well, i don't really know how i got to be in nsz (no scroll zone, ie, the top 20)... all i have is 3 celery 766's, 2 duron 750's which fold about 12 hours a day at the university library... and a p4 2Ghz at home which runs 24/7. i remember i used to average about 1,200points a week with this set up... until the sys admin at the library found out about it and got rid of the clients and my production went all the way down to white.

since then, i went back there, logged in as administrator on the library computers (they use windows 2000)... you'd be surprised how many people use "password", "pass", "admin", "administrator" or name of the university/sys admin as passwords for the administrator account. anyhoo, i installed firedaemon, got rid of any trace of fire daemon (start menu, etc), hide the fah and firedaemon directories, turned on the "do not show hidden or system files" option in windows, and no one has any clue about it. and... i'd like to keep it that way. these people are robbing me.

so now, my production's back up, and i'm happy... i'll be yellow soon enough. :D

as for the deleting the tinker WU... i monitor the client on my computer very closely, and one time i saw that i'd be crunching 29hours for a lousy 9pointer. i immediately stopped the client, and deleted the work directory. one gromacs later, it proceded to download a 50-odd pointer tinker which took more than two days to complete... :?

those were the only two tinkers i've gotten ever since i started using the -advmethods switch

ps. anyone who's interested, the beta clients do not need admin rights to install. borg em, while you can. :wink:

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:31 pm

riff wrote:until the sys admin at the library found out about it and got rid of the clients and my production went all the way down to white.

since then, i went back there, logged in as administrator on the library computers (they use windows 2000).....<snip> these people are robbing me.
FWIW.....
Standford F@H FAQ wrote:Can I run Folding@Home on a machine I don't own?

Please only run Folding@Home on machines you either own or on which you have the permission of the owner to run our software. Any other use of Folding@Home violates our license agreement (and just isn't a good idea in general).

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:56 pm

revenge can be so sweet sometimes.

the trap

the hell hole

just to make things clear... we are talking about a medical university with only five public computers, one and a half cadaver, four professors, two classrooms, charging 25k a year. everything else on the website is total bs. the sys admin is a senior.

never, ever think about going to a caribbean medical school. ever.

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:06 am

I was going to say, but the weather is allways nice. And then i looked at
the second picture of the main office building and saw ice on the
roof. :shock:

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:50 am

Melluk wrote:
Christmas lights?

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:12 am

miker wrote:
Melluk wrote:
Christmas lights?
Hmmm.. Possibly :lol:

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:56 am

:lol:

they are christmas lights... the administration never takes them down, its christmas all year long here. yeesh.

owz, the weather's pretty nice here, but that's where it stops. nothing is produced locally, everything's imported... so expect to pay $4 for a gallon of milk. and $1 for a bottle of water. or $1.25 for a can of coke. st kitts has the reputation of being "the laziest island in the caribbean". banks open at 8, close at 2. supermarkets close at 7pm. all businesses in downtown (about twenty or so, that's all) close by 3pm. wehave three supermarkets... all of them put together would be smaller than the average winn dixie. and only dell ships to st kitts. dell and outpost.com. oh, and gas is $3 a gallon. most bars close by 9 or 11pm. only a couple of clubs are open till dawn. heck, we only HAVE a couple of clubs. and they play music which has only one word repeating over and over and over again. 'water' or 'sugar'. i swear, they go on like, 'water, watttter, waaatttter'. :?

so... very slow life, and very expensive. i've already spent a lot more money on just living here, than on my tuition. (i joined before they annouced the free crappy dorm rooms and food). i don't like it here. i should've went to mit. sigh.

EDIT: borged another 750mhz duron. it seems they're upgrading the computers with bootleg copies of windows 2000 server. heh. i need to get me a good password cracker.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:01 am

lol...

so why exactly are you going there?

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:37 pm

that's just it... before you can get here, you have to pay three semesters in advance (you do five semesters here in st kitts, and then seven more in the states... those five semesters will cost you about 50k, each semester is about 4 months. once you pay three semesters in advance, you'll get your student visa permit, and you can fly down here (the school won't accept you if you have a visitor's visa). after you get here, you're essentially trapped. you're stuck here because they don't give refunds. so you can leave, and lose your 25k. or you can try and transfer out of here after three semesters, and then you realise they won't give you your credits. you're trapped here, or lose 25 big ones.

i'm done with my five semesters here, and will be moving to toronto for a while, and then start my clinicals (those other seven semesters) sometime next year.

i didn't even want to medicine, it was my parent's idea. i wanted to get into mit. sigh. you can guess who won that argument.

EDIT: bad typing skills fixed. again.
Last edited by riffst3r on Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:40 pm

My parents don't have anything they want me to do... of course thats probably because what they do (petroleum geology) doesn't have the brightest future and is rather unstable...

thats a good trick, make you pay before you find out what you're getting into.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Nothing says "Quality Higher Learning" like a gravel parking lot. That sounds like you really got hozed, riff. I'm sorry man. :(

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:21 pm

gravel? it's loose dirt... you have watch out for yourself when the high winds come over from the hills. the university doesn't own the land or buildings... they're renting it. other students here have had a it a lot worse than me, i'm just praying this university won't go up in smoke, like most other caribbean med schools.

owz, got an update... turns out the sys admin position has been passed to a junior. i'm going use my hazing skillz to get admin rights. :)

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:10 pm

in a another win for spcr...

after my sucessful 'conversation' with our sys admin here, he gave in and got me the admin password. however, he screwed up and couldn't remember them properly. so, i offered to get him his admin rights back if he let me run fah, and we got ourselves a deal. i managed to reset the admin passwords for four computers running win2kpro.. and have since installed fah as a service (of course, i didn't want him removing it, so i hid the folders and removed firedaemon from the add/remove programs list). but the four other computers running win2k server are a bit stubborn and i think i'll have to look for an alternative to syslinux.

Choy

Post by Choy » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:08 am

One more for the team. :D

Giving back for all I learnt from this site by helping out a bit with the folding. Beats the other type of folding I have to do irl. Approx 4 amd ghz coming this way.

Way off topic: The Artic Cooler Copper is great for an el cheapo cpu cooler. Got my Palomino 1800+ close to 1800MHz at the first attempt.

Evo

Post by Evo » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:04 am

Hi! Yesterday I downloaded the F@H client and joined SPCR's team. My pc is currently working on p678_L939_K12M_355K. Could someone please tell why nobody likes tinkers? And how do I get my signature to show the right team?