scythe ninja revision b + scythe universal retention kit

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dahz

scythe ninja revision b + scythe universal retention kit

Post by dahz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm

while waiting on my ninja revision b and new intel quad core setup to arrive, i read alot about the intel push pins being problematic with the ninja b, just not working well enough. along with many reccomendations of getting the scythe universal moutning kit. so i picked up the universal retention kit on my way home from work today, and im looking at the kit and it includes a copper spacer that im supposed to mount between the cpu and the cooler.

what?

that makes no sense to me at all. adding a copper shim even with some good quality paste on each side, still cant be that good. the shim looks to be about the same thickness as the clear plastic spacers for the metal bars that mount to the top side of the motherboard.

is anyone actually using the copper spacer?

is it really needed?

i cant see it helping... what about removing the plastic insulators and putting down a peice or two of black electrcial tape at each mounting hole to be an insualtor......

thoughts? comments?

almalino

Post by almalino » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 pm

I made own bolt through installation. Works fine so far:
viewtopic.php?t=43219

nick705

Re: scythe ninja revision b + scythe universal retention kit

Post by nick705 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 am

dahz wrote: thoughts? comments?
I completely agree, having to use the spacer to obtain sufficient pressure is complete crap. You could make your own bolt-through kit as the guy above did, or you could use the Thermalright kit, which has been used with some success.

Personally I'd vote with my wallet and buy a different heatsink altogether - I won't reward sloppy, careless design and indifference to customer concerns, regardless of the Ninja's other virtues, and there are a good number of extremely capable alternatives.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:46 am

i have a ninja rev. A, and i think that makes all the difference.

in the packaging, there was that copper shim, however i'm not using it....i didn't understand its use at first, seeing as there was adequate pressure without it.

there's always the U120-extreme if you don't like the ninja.

dahz

Post by dahz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:36 pm

well as i already have the ninja b. and mounting kit in hand, ill give them a try. ill do some dry fit tests tonight and see how it goes.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 pm

As implied above, the purpose of the shim is to create adequate mounting pressure. There are lots of ways to do this. The most effective is a bolt-through method, either home-built or with the universal mounting kit that Scythe sells. The stock push-pin system has proven to be inadequate quite often.

dahz

Post by dahz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 pm

the shim came in the universal mounting kit scythe sells...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Hello,

Does Scythe sell a universal mounting kit? I thought that it was the Thermalright bolt-through 775 kit that was being referred to?

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:24 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

Does Scythe sell a universal mounting kit? I thought that it was the Thermalright bolt-through 775 kit that was being referred to?
There seems to be a bit of confusion here - Scythe's own SCURK1 "universal retention kit" effectively converts the Ninja Rev. B's standard inadequate LGA775 pushpin mounting into an AMD-style clip-on mounting, similar (but not quite identical) to that of the Ninja Rev. A. Unfortunately, Scythe didn't design it properly, and in order for the clips to apply adequate pressure, you'll probably need to insert a copper spacer (provided with the kit) between the heatsink base and the CPU heatspreader. As you now have two contact surfaces instead of just one, with two layers of TIM, the heat conduction will, needless to say, be less efficient, and you're also dependent on the spacer itself being completely flat, of uniform thickness and properly finished. Anyone who's spent ages painstakingly lapping their HSF and/or CPU heatspreader need not apply.

It's a horrible, messy kludge which displays a general "don't care" attitude, and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

The Thermalright bolt-thru kit is different (some very good pics in the thread I linked to above), and although I haven't tried it myself it seems to work well with the Ninja without the need for any spacers. It's a sorry state of affairs though when an optional add-on from one of Scythe's main competitors provides the best way of getting their own product to work properly. :(

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 am

Hello Nick,

Thank you very much for the clarification! And I agree that Scythe should make things right -- but this is certainly not the first time we had to work a little to get things quiet! :o

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:42 am

Hi Neil,

I think people are probably fed up with me ranting about Scythe now, but really it just comes out of frustration at seeing such a good product (the Ninja) pointlessly compromised by something that could be so easily fixed. Scythe are by no means the only offenders in this regard, admittedly.

It would be better if things were designed properly from the outset but then, as you say, we might have nothing to do and nothing to talk about... :D

DrNo123

Post by DrNo123 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 am

According to Scythe Europe they are still developing a better mounting solution and also a revised version of Scythe Retention Kit. But there won't be a solution with screws from Scythe. :(

Another try of Ninja with Thermalright Bolt Thru Kit Socket 775:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/ninja-pl ... eluxe.html

Bye DrNo123

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 am

I also used Thermalright's bolt thru kit for LGA775 with the Rev. B and have had great success. Just make sure you have a screwdriver long enough to screw it down.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:14 pm

Hello,

I was looking for a place to purchase the Thermalright S775 bolt-thru kit, and this is the best place I found:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

They also have it here:

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-LG ... -3605.html