Antec Fusion Black (finally...)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:10 pm

New problem, my LCD started flashing.

Time text on LCD remains steady while booting, as soon as iMON loads text starts flickering.

I captured a video and have links on this page:
http://www.insanegenius.com/fusionblack/

yahui168

Post by yahui168 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:49 am

Fusion V2 does not have the Fusion Black LCD

V1 - VFD without IR
V2 - VFD with IR
Black - LCD with IR

guyleonard

Post by guyleonard » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm just going to have a little guess here,

1) judging from the reference picture posted above from SoundGraph iMon and the pictures of everyones Antec Fusion V2 display and
2) using the Comparison Table of iMON OEM LCD Color from the previous link
that the reference picture is a Negative LCD with a WHITE backlight and the Antec Fusion has a Negative LCD with a BLUE backlight and that is where the issue lies... (Still it could be green :s)

I was looking into buying a Fusion V2 but i'm seriously considering just buying a NSK2480 and installing my own LCD, say the SilverStone MFP51, which works out to be about 20 pounds more in the UK, or the SoundGraph iMon (though I can't find a seller of a non Ultra version or a non VFD version in the UK), but I think that's going to be acceptable judging by the photos and who needs a volume knob anyway...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm

zerok66 wrote:A general question about the case design... is it highly rated as a good flowing case? I want to ditch my x11 for something that flows air better.
The best of any media PC case.(You could say I'm biased as I came up with much of its thermal/airflow design but I've also examined dozens of other media PC cases.)

ptr727

Post by ptr727 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:42 pm

I received the replacement LCD module, it no longer flickers, but the quality is still unacceptable to me, new pics are here:
http://www.insanegenius.com/fusionblack/

Regards
P.

aburgard

Post by aburgard » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:23 am

MikeC wrote: The best of any media PC case.(You could say I'm biased as I came up with much of its thermal/airflow design but I've also examined dozens of other media PC cases.)
That's an awful nice case, I agree, but I think the Ahanix still takes the cake from an appearance standpoint.

http://www.ahanix.com/products/mce/

It's too bad they use 60mm fans.

FreeBaGeL

Post by FreeBaGeL » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but have there been any advancements with the LCD on the Fusion Black?

I just got a Fusion Black, and I see that we're still stuck with this blue on blue crap (seriously, who made the decision to put this particular LCD into this case? They can't possibly have understood what an HTPC is, yet they got to pick the LCD for an HTPC case?) that is hard to read and so bright it's distracting. But, there's no changing the hardware without throwing away $$$, so I'm more interested in the software.

Can I install FrontView, etc on this LCD yet or is it still crippled beyond belief? I checked the IMON forums but everyone is just talking about the VFD from the silver version, not the LCD found here. So can we put anything useful on this LCD yet (why in the hell would I care about my hard drive space while I'm watching a movie?) or should I just go ahead and take it out back and smash it with a bat and then mail off a hate letter to whatever dolt decided to put this thing into this case?

floepie

Post by floepie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:54 pm

Re-bumping this thread. Does anyone know if the Fusion Black is still shipping with that nasty LCD? What I don't understand is why the "official" Soundgraph drivers would not work with this LCD?

It would seem as if this LCD were indeed different from the true IMOM LCD in that this appears much more difficult to read, however, everything else is the same in terms of layout.

Finally, what really is working on the display other than just displaying what you already know about your own computer? Which media players does it work with?

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:28 am

I got a Fusion last week.
When I first built it I used the software on the Antec supplied CD. This worked O.K, the news info scrolled fine, trouble is the volume knob on the case would not work.
I went to the Antec website and downloaded the software from there, this is the IMON software, this worked much better, the volume knob works fine with this software. Once that software is installed you get a pop-up to say that there is a new release from the IMON website. I installed that and that works fine too.
The LCD looks really good, the Fusion case is a beauty of a case and looks great under the Sony LCD it's hooked upto.

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:01 pm

nitram_tpr wrote:The LCD looks really good, the Fusion case is a beauty of a case and looks great under the Sony LCD it's hooked upto.
I concur...

Magilla

Post by Magilla » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:39 am

ptr727 wrote:As I've mentioned in a previous post, my LCD does not look so good, here are three pics:
Low contrast setting.
http://www.insanegenius.com/download/IMG_2938.JPG
Normal contrast.
http://www.insanegenius.com/download/IMG_2940.JPG
High contrast.
http://www.insanegenius.com/download/IMG_2941.JPG

How does this compare with other Fusion Black owners?
I've had and returned as faulty several Fusion (Max) cases over the last few months. Frankly the pictures of your LCD looks like perfection to all the ones I've seen.

Basically a pink square, totally unreadable from any angle other than 0 degree's, and is so massively overbright that it lights the entire room when the lights are low.

It's so distracting from the primary display (TV, Panel etc..) that the case was completely unsuitable for a media center machine.

In the end they were all returned as faulty.

Tommy44

Post by Tommy44 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:10 pm

How is the Antec Fusion Black 430 different than the Antec Fusion Remote Black???

The two pictures on the Antec site are of the same exact case and the specs look the same with the 430 adding a PSU and the Remote Black not coming with one. Why would anyone pay $180-$200 for the 430 when they can get the Fusion Remote Black for $149 with a remote? You can put the extra money towards a better (read quieter) power supply. Am I missing something?

Magilla

Post by Magilla » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:42 am